Roof Rack Help!!! Please!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Roof Rack Help!!! Please!!!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

Roof Rack Help!!! Please!!!

Wanting to buy a roof rack for my '08 KK. Just need some advice on the best one out there and experiences putting them on.

I'm wanting one that I can mount some lights in the front, 4 PIAA 520's. And maybe mount a couple in the rear also. couple in the back

silver08kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Cobradwight
2012 KK Liberty 

I would cantact : atthehelm for a rack that he makes.
Cobradwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
AtTheHelm

gotone ready to go if you want one.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

That looks good!!! But I was looking for more of a basket.
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I have a Yakima Load Warrior its pretty nice got a sweet deal on it and they have some nice accessories for it. Yakima has also the Mega load warrior which is a little wider and longer. The other company you could look at is Thule.

Good Luck
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
JoeyC99
2008 KK Liberty 

I love my loadwarrior, got it on sale which is why i chose it over the mega warrior. honestly I think the loadwarrior is a little small for the libby tho, I think the megawarrior would fit it much better, and they make an extension for it if you decide later that you want an extra 18 inches in length. Lots of accessories (tire carrier, light mounts for front and rear, axe/shovel carrier). I also plan on putting 4 more lights on my basket, thinking about getting the tire carrier but it's kinda pricey, and instead of buying their axe shovel carriers I bought some quick fist clamps and just bolted them onto the basket. Tried uploading photos and can't for some reason, will try to get you some later.
Yakima Loadwarrior
JoeyC99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks!!! Really like the Mega Warrior, but what all do I need to get it on my rig? Am I going to have to purchase some crossbars?
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can mount a basket on Atthehelm's rack. The good thing about his rack is that it replaces the crappy plastic rails on our KKs with something that isn't going to fail. Once you get the basket you will undoubtedly go on a trip and say "hey! I'm going to throw my food cooler, beer cooler, box of wood, etc up there" and will all of that weight on the rails, it will break.

Some of us have built crossrails with simple supplies from Home depot or lowe's. four U or square bolts and conduit piping will do the trick for like $30, then you can mount the basket on those.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Halloween

Yea I love the look of a safari with lights all over it

My next purchase That and some body tattoos
Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Rock Lizard Roof rack
just installed today here at my place on Ted15s on LOST
read more about it on LOSTJEEPS in the KK section

Unread 09-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
JoeyC99
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd
Rock Lizard Roof rack
Rack looks nice!
Yakima Loadwarrior
JoeyC99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd
Rock Lizard Roof rack
I love everything about it, I don't think I'd change a thing with the design. The tube is .090 thick(I think), very sturdy.
The problem with the Thule and Yakima style baskets is that by the time you add the 1 1/2" cross bars over the rails that sit about 2" above the roof, it sits WAY too high. Add lights to that and it's even higher. They're also only as strong as the weakest part, an important consideration.
If you're looking for a recommendation, I'd say Rocklizard first, then athehelm and all the rest last. Those two are the only ones available that are of high quality with good customer service. Neither is shipped as one piece because of shipping cost. One has to be welded while the other is bolted together but can be welded. Without a fixture though, you'll have to be careful of warping while welding.
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

Okay, I just now realized that I have those stupid plastic faux-rails on top. I need some real side rails, any suggests on which ones to get?
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver08kk
Okay, I just now realized that I have those stupid plastic faux-rails on top. I need some real side rails, any suggests on which ones to get?
Do you want rails or a basket? I'm a little confused. For the same or less you can get a purpose built steel safari rack with light tabs already welded on.
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
AtTheHelm

I've got these side rails available, they are meant to be a starting point for a basket, build your own rack, etc.

Pm me if you want some.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.