Roof rack 2012 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Roof rack 2012 Liberty

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
cbdeajr
2012 KK Liberty 

Roof rack 2012 Liberty

Just purchased a 2012 Liberty and need to put a roof rack on it. There is just a plastic rail on it now and I would like to be able to carry a canoe. Looked at some of the rack options in a mopar catalog but they are just drawings. What parts do I need and can the present strips just be removed and new rack installed in its place?

cbdeajr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I need to do the same thing myself. My canoe is long, 4 feet longer than my KK. The position of the factory rack is not going to work for me. I tried to find a rack that will bolt up to the factory mounting holes and extend the full length of the roof, but was not able to locate anything. I've come to the conclusion that I would need to build a custom rack. If you have a smaller canoe I think you will have options to use the factory locations. I just don't remember where to tell you to look. It was last year when I was thinking about this stuff.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
horrocks007
2010 JK Wrangler 

Contact Gobi Jeep and see if the one they make for the Dodge nitro will fit your jeep. It would look awesome if it does.
horrocks007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
AtTheHelm

AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdeajr
Just purchased a 2012 Liberty and need to put a roof rack on it. There is just a plastic rail on it now and I would like to be able to carry a canoe. Looked at some of the rack options in a mopar catalog but they are just drawings. What parts do I need and can the present strips just be removed and new rack installed in its place?
The plastic strips are held on with double sided tape and just pull off. There will be some cleanup afterward though. There are two studs at each corner to mount to.
I sell tube side bars to get started, pm me if you're interested.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
kiwi_outdoors
2008 KK Liberty 

why not use the REI foam blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
I need to do the same thing myself. My canoe is long, 4 feet longer than my KK. The position of the factory rack is not going to work for me. I tried to find a rack that will bolt up to the factory mounting holes and extend the full length of the roof, but was not able to locate anything. I've come to the conclusion that I would need to build a custom rack. If you have a smaller canoe I think you will have options to use the factory locations. I just don't remember where to tell you to look. It was last year when I was thinking about this stuff.
why not use the REI foam blocks

roof racks create a lot of wind noise when you have nothing on them

(speaking from almost 40 years of having racks on my cars), except for the KK
Unread 03-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Roof racks if designed right do not create any noise, been running one on my KJ for 6-7 years and no noise, never had any noises from the ones on my 3 XJs, if you have noise then redesign or install a flare on the front to divert the wind up over
Unread 03-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Foam blocks are what I'm using now. No matter how much you clean they still end up abrading the paint. They started scratching up the paint on the first trip and I don't like it. I will have a rack built before this season.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.