Roof Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Roof Rack

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Plumbr
2010 KK Liberty 

Roof Rack

My Liberty did not come with a roof rack. Is there something out there other than factory. Factory parts are so expensive. And has anyone had to get a new key made? That seems to be an expensive process also.

Plumbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
HSOUSA
2012 KK Liberty 

Check amazon for budget roof racks, there are quite a few to chose from.

My lib came with 2 keys, the dealer told me it would cost $300 for a extra. They really know how to empty your pockets.. $100 for the key and $200 to 'program' it.
HSOUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

I was thinking about this as well, I have the factory side rails that are solid and dont have cut outs, so its hard to tell what bars will work, alot seem like they need the cut out to go around when mounting.
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
MyJKU14
14JKUOrange

2014 JK Wrangler 

Mine didn't come with a roof rack either... I ordered the RRO system and it's great! I ordered the new side rails and the cross bars. $315 after shipping and tax for both and took about an hour to install everything. Super easy.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...59135249_n.jpg

This gives you all new side rails that are really sturdy and durable and the cross bars to mount a rack or anything you want. What I really liked was that there is no plastic on this set up, nothing to snap under pressure. The wind noise isn't bad either.
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
mtbiker
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerr47
I was thinking about this as well, I have the factory side rails that are solid and dont have cut outs, so its hard to tell what bars will work, alot seem like they need the cut out to go around when mounting.
You need some Thule 450 Crossroads feet & load bars. Rackattack.com sells the kit for $289.
mtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
xxxxxxxxxxxxelorwatch
2012 KK Liberty 

Key Cost Comment

I've had (3) Remotes since 1996: Buick, Mercedes Benz, Toyota and all were high quality plastic and easy to press as I have petite fingers and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

The Jeep $100 key, I'm betting cost no more than a dollar, from some Asian County, as many are made/sold in Quantity here.

I'm beginning to think My original opinion concerining the '97 bail-out was a huge mistake
xxxxxxxxxxxxelorwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
MyJKU14
14JKUOrange

2014 JK Wrangler 

Or you can look on eBay and order one for pretty cheap and just have the dealership program it.

I have 4 keys to my KK now since when I got the remote start they gave me 2 new keys. So that's another option. May cost more but at least you get remote start...

Colorado Jeep Club #281

Past Jeeps: '02 WJ Overland, '02 WJ Limited, '08 KK Sport
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbiker View Post
You need some Thule 450 Crossroads feet & load bars. Rackattack.com sells the kit for $289.
But these look like they will wrap around the existing siderails. You cant wrap around the rails I have now, there are no holes, it would have to just clamp on without the need to go under or around the siderails to work.
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
mtbiker
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:

But these look like they will wrap around the existing siderails. You cant wrap around the rails I have now, there are no holes, it would have to just clamp on without the need to go under or around the siderails to work.
I thought those were just trim covers that came on models that didn't get the rails. I figured that the trim was removed and the rails installed in their place. Even the ones Jeep sell are a Thule design that clamps on the "u" style rails.
mtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Ya it would appear that I will have to get some side roof rails to do any of this...no idea why they put psudo rails on there instead of nothing, I bet the cost is not much different to factory rails. So adding another $150 to get some factory rails it would seem before I can get the crossbars and basket.
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Ya it would appear that I will have to get some side roof rails to do any of this...no idea why they put psudo rails on there instead of nothing, I bet the cost is not much different to factory rails. So adding another $150 to get some factory rails it would seem before I can get the crossbars and basket.
That's so jeep can charge you am extra $500 as an option to put them on.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
MyJKU14
14JKUOrange

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I would look into the rocky road outfitters ones... I was in the same boat as you just a few weeks ago and I love my new system.

image-444419783.jpg

Colorado Jeep Club #281

Unread 02-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

I was thinking about that one, but read so many complaints about it that it scared me off. The RL ones are just too expensive for my needs, so that pretty much leaves stock which I was wanting better than,...did you have any issues at all installing them? Did all the holes line up, etc.
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
MyJKU14
14JKUOrange

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I was thinking about that one, but read so many complaints about it that it scared me off. The RL ones are just too expensive for my needs, so that pretty much leaves stock which I was wanting better than,...did you have any issues at all installing them? Did all the holes line up, etc.
It was super easy. I have nothing but great things to say about RRO. As with everything there will be people out there bashing on everything. I ordered the side rails and crossbars and they were at my house 6 days later. Installed really easily and the holes line up great. Only thing you'll need are some of the bolts to hold it down if your jeep doesn't have them. Super easy to find at ace though and cost another $5.
PM me if you have any other questions.

Colorado Jeep Club #281

Unread 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
gtxtreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_Katie View Post
Mine didn't come with a roof rack either... I ordered the RRO system and it's great! I ordered the new side rails and the cross bars. $315 after shipping and tax for both and took about an hour to install everything. Super easy.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...59135249_n.jpg

This gives you all new side rails that are really sturdy and durable and the cross bars to mount a rack or anything you want. What I really liked was that there is no plastic on this set up, nothing to snap under pressure. The wind noise isn't bad either.

Could you post some more pics please! I'm very interested!
gtxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.