Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Roof LEAK!! sunroof drain tube problems

97K views 66 replies 43 participants last post by  Jjanssen 
#1 ·
Have a roof leak. Headliner wet at top of driver side A pillar. Water soaks the part of the headliner coming to the plastic a pillar cover, drips down behind the plastic, drips onto the speaker on the door and soaks the carpet. Who knows what damage is happening behind the plastics.

Dealer said they found a leak in the windshield. Told me to bring it back to the windshield shop who replaced my windshield last April.
Windshield shop said there is no leak in the windshield and showed me the water dripping from the fitting where the hose attatches to the plastic pan.

Usually the problem is a clogged tube that causes the water to overflow the pan and come into the cabin. This is not the case the fitting is actually leaking.

Bringing back to the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem with a KK? They should replace the stained headliner right? What about the unknown water damage to the carpet, rusting, etc.? I have the lifetime extended warranty in addition to the lifetime powertrain.

#2 ·
Have a roof leak. Headliner wet at top of driver side A pillar. Water soaks the part of the headliner coming to the plastic a pillar cover, drips down behind the plastic, drips onto the speaker on the door and soaks the carpet. Who knows what damage is happening behind the plastics.

Dealer said they found a leak in the windshield. Told me to bring it back to the windshield shop who replaced my windshield last April.
Windshield shop said there is no leak in the windshield and showed me the water dripping from the fitting where the hose attatches to the plastic pan.

Usually the problem is a clogged tube that causes the water to overflow the pan and come into the cabin. This is not the case the fitting is actually leaking.

Bringing back to the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem with a KK? They should replace the stained headliner right? What about the unknown water damage to the carpet, rusting, etc.? I have the lifetime extended warranty in addition to the lifetime powertrain.
Is the problem resolved?

#6 ·
bummer :( .... while its there, ask the service tech if these recalls applies to your VIN :

Safety Features Crash Test Ratings Recalls
Recall ID # 3915 - VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD Full Details
Recall Date SEP 09, 2008
Component VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD
Model Affected Liberty
Potential Units Affected 494

Recall Date:SEP 09, 2008Model Affected:2008 Jeep LibertySummary:CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 494 MY 2008 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES. THE WINDSHIELD AND/OR FIXED REAR QUARTER GLASS MAY HAVE BEEN ASSEMBLED USING INCORRECT URETHANE ADHESIVE. THIS COULD AFFECT GLASS RETENTION.

Consequences:IF THE GLASS SEPARATES WHILE DRIVING, IT COULD STRIKE ANOTHER VEHICLE OR INJURE A PEDESTRIAN.

Remedy:DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WINDSHIELD AND/OR FIXED REAR QUARTER GLASS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 13, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Potential Units Affected:494
Notes:CHRYSLER LLC

Recall ID # 24035 - PARKING BRAKE Full Details
Recall Date OCT 08, 2008
Component PARKING BRAKE
Model Affected Liberty
Potential Units Affected 3663

Recall Date:OCT 08, 2008
Model Affected:2008 Jeep Liberty
Summary:CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 3,663 MY 2007-2008 DODGE NITRO AND MY 2008 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS. THE PARK BRAKE LEVER CLUTCH DRUM MAY DISTORT AND REDUCE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE PARK BRAKE SYSTEM.

Consequences:THIS COULD ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO MOVE INADVERTENTLY AND CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

Remedy:DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PARK BRAKE LEVER ASSEMBLY FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 27, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Potential Units Affected:3663

Notes:CHRYSLER LLC

Recall ID # 30014 - VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER:MOTOR Full Details
Recall Date NOV 03, 2010
Component VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER:MOTOR
Model Affected Liberty
Potential Units Affected 12027

Recall Date:NOV 03, 2010
Model Affected:2008 Jeep

LibertySummary:CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES. THE VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTORS THAT CONTAIN EXCESS ADHESIVE THAT MAY ALLOW FOR WATER INTRUSION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN INTERMITTENT AND EVENTUALLY INOPERATIVE WINDSHIELD WIPER OPERATION.

Consequences:A FAILING OR INOPERATIVE WINDSHIELD WIPER SYSTEM WILL REDUCE A DRIVER'S VISIBILITY WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 1, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Potential Units Affected:12027

Notes:CHRYSLER GROUP LLC

#7 ·
it was the line that goes under the windshield and collects water and routes it into the pipe. it was not bent properly and was dripping water on the liner

#8 ·
A dealer in NY had a 2006 Liberty with the same problem, except they claimed it was due to a bee. Yes, the insect that collects honey. I was initially going to purchase that one, but I waited on it for a few days and didn't put a down payment on it so they sold it under me. Wasn't too happy, but I chose a nice OD green 2008 liberty. Never looked back.

#11 ·
Jeep lawsuit over sunroof problems

We are currently investigating claims from owners of 2006-2011 Jeep Patriot, Liberty, Compass, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and Commanders that have had sunroof leaking problems that have not been repaired. Many drivers don't know that this problem is well known to Chrysler and its agents, who have refused to address and correct the faulty drainage tubes, claiming that the leaks result from other non-Chrysler factors and not covered under warranty. However, between 1999 and 2010 Chrysler issued no less than NINE Technical Service Bulletins addressing the issue of faulty drainage tubes and water leaks.

The leaks can cause the following physical damages:

• Degradation of structural components, wiring and passenger cabin;
• Shorts in the electrical circuitry;
• Engine stalls;
• Instrument malfunctions in seat and window controls;
• Standing water on floors and mats leading to degradation of floor carpeting and sub-structure;
• Water stains;
• Hazardous mold and mildew, with associated smells;
• Dampened and damaged interior seats and headrests;
• Weakened components and structures; and
• Rust.

If you have experienced this problem please reply or send me an email at jkincannon@keefebartels.com. Thanks all and thanks to the webmaster for maintaining such a comprehensive site.

#13 ·
Got the same problem with my 08 KK as the original poster. If its just a kinked drain tube, how do they fix it? Do they need access to the interior of the cabin or can they fix it from the outside and I can keep my car locked. I have a thing about letting techs get inside my car with dirty hands. Not worth the trouble to me if they have to get inside to fix it. If can only fix from the inside, any way I can DIY?

#15 ·
Yeah they took the headliner down to access the hose on my 2008. Made a hell of a mess with my headliner, lots of greasy black hand prints that they didn't even bother to clean but fixed the leak and eventual flooding on the floor. Three months later, the floor was flooded again from the sunroof leak. Didn't take it back for the leak; just lived with it until I traded it in for 2011 without sunroof this time 2 months ago. No more worrying about leaks and stains after a rain storm.

#16 ·
That's why I won't let them do it. I would go ape**** if they left black handprints all over.

How do they peel back the headliner and fix it? Can anyone share any photos? I'd love to be able to do this myself!

No trading in for me since mine is owned and not a lease.

#18 ·
Roof leaks driving me crazy!!!!

I have now been back to the dealer 6 times for the exact same roof leak on my 07 Commander. It leaked the first week I owned it. Took it in, claimed they fixed and repeat....at at different dealership for the next 3 visits all under warranty. Happened again in Nov. Took it in (now out of warranty) and charged me to fix. It's now an environmental issue according to service manager and drain tubes were clogged. Picking it up again from dealer tomorrow - leaked again last weekend. Dealer still claims that I must have left the sunroof open and leaved and acorns blew in!!!! It isn't even physically possible for an acorn to blow in even if I ever did leave the sunroof open, which I never have. I'm at a loss now. Totally frustrated and don't know what to do. Seems to be a flaw in the design. I keep my vehicle very clean and if a leaf does land on my jeep I will actually pick off before driving. Still don't understand how my service advisor told me that I need to do a better job of keeping it free of debris. It's a jeep, I can't drive it outside anymore? WTF? Does anyone have a similar experience that may help me fix this recurring problem? I love the vehicle but Jeep needs to fix this problem.

#25 ·
I have now been back to the dealer 6 times for the exact same roof leak on my 07 Commander. It leaked the first week I owned it. Took it in, claimed they fixed and repeat....at at different dealership for the next 3 visits all under warranty. Happened again in Nov. Took it in (now out of warranty) and charged me to fix. It's now an environmental issue according to service manager and drain tubes were clogged. Picking it up again from dealer tomorrow - leaked again last weekend. Dealer still claims that I must have left the sunroof open and leaved and acorns blew in!!!! It isn't even physically possible for an acorn to blow in even if I ever did leave the sunroof open, which I never have. I'm at a loss now. Totally frustrated and don't know what to do. Seems to be a flaw in the design. I keep my vehicle very clean and if a leaf does land on my jeep I will actually pick off before driving. Still don't understand how my service advisor told me that I need to do a better job of keeping it free of debris. It's a jeep, I can't drive it outside anymore? WTF? Does anyone have a similar experience that may help me fix this recurring problem? I love the vehicle but Jeep needs to fix this problem.
where i live in MA, if they can't fix it after 3 times it falls under the lemon law. basically you get out of that car and into something else.

#19 ·
interesting that i came across this posting. I was just looking at a 08 liberty today with the sky slider roof and noticed water stains on the headliner.Funny that the dealer said the previous owner must have left it open and that they had checked and it didnt leak. now i see that this is a common problem and a well known one at that.Think im going to try and talk my wife into NOT getting this model and try for a regular hardtop.The last owner had it less than a yr and i get a feeling this thing is gonna b a headach if she gets it

#21 ·
We have a 2010 Jeep Commander. We have water coming the vehicle through the sunroof. The dealership says the drain tubes were clogged and therefore not covered under warranty. It rained again and we have even more water coming in. We are going to take back to the dealership! The vehicle is housed in a garage and rarely has the sunroof open. This appears to be either a design flaw in the vehicle or a poorly made sunroof. We have had numerous vehicles with sunroofs and have never had any issues with any of them. It looks like the sunroof Itself does not close properly as there appears to be a gap where the sunroof closes at the front of each corner. In addition, the way the vehicle is made, the entire roof surface flows water toward the sunroof (and the gaps of each corner). Let's see what the dealership says when we take back for service again. Does anyone have any suggestions.

#22 ·
I bet the dealership says something like "we had to clean debris out of the drain tubes therefore it's an environmental issue". They will continue to supposedly "fix" while in warranty but charge you every time once out of warranty. It's not considered a fix in my book if you have the same problem but that's just my take. Please post what the dealership says.

#23 ·
I am not sure if I am asking this question on the right post, but I think so. i have noticed some water stains on the upper right and left side near the front window on the upholstery ceiling. When I first purchased this vehicle new, I noticed that my front window was fogging up in the upper right and left hand corners a lot when it was cold and snowy. Now I see water stains on the upholstery near where it was fogging up. Anyone else have these water stains?

#26 ·
Leaky sunroof

I want to re-activate this post with a question. I'm not sure my sunroof leak is truly fixed. How can I test my sunroof drain holes to make sure they truly are draining correctly? First a little background:

Three times I took it in for a leaky sunroof. The first time, under warranty, they said they made sure the drain holes were working correctly and they adjusted the sunroof to make sure it was closing properly. The other two times they said they cleaned the drain tubes of debris; no charge.

Again recently, after a rain the headliner was wet, so I asked them to check it when I took it in the next time for my free oil change. When I walked in to pick-up my car after it's free oil change, I asked one of the service reps how they clean out the drain holes of a sunroof. He said they simply blow air down the drain tubes. I said "that seems easy enough; I can do that at home; thanks"! I then walked over to the other service rep to pick-up my car (that was in for it's free oil change and to check again my leaky sunroof). He then told me something like sign here and you can pay at the cashier. When I asked what I am paying for he looked on the form and told me $29; we had to clean the drain holes of debris, which is an out of warranty repair. When he realized I was the same guy that just asked the other service rep how they clean debris from the sunroof, he realized the discussion that was about to happen if he pursued... so he made the workorder no charge.

I purchased a new blow-gun attachment for my compressor that has a long metal tube on it. Just because I blow air down the tube, how do I really know the tube is clear and will not leak? Again my question: If I slowly pour water down the drain holes of my sunroof, where does the water drain out? Where is the other end of the drain hose? How do I know if the hose leaks where it fits over the sunroof drain tube?

I have a stained tan headliner, and I am not sure the sunroof truly does not leak. How many others are having the same problem? :confused:

Reactions: Jjanssen
#28 ·
I want to re-activate this post with a question. I'm not sure my sunroof leak is truly fixed. How can I test my sunroof drain holes to make sure they truly are draining correctly? First a little background:

Three times I took it in for a leaky sunroof. The first time, under warranty, they said they made sure the drain holes were working correctly and they adjusted the sunroof to make sure it was closing properly. The other two times they said they cleaned the drain tubes of debris; no charge.

Again recently, after a rain the headliner was wet, so I asked them to check it when I took it in the next time for my free oil change. When I walked in to pick-up my car after it's free oil change, I asked one of the service reps how they clean out the drain holes of a sunroof. He said they simply blow air down the drain tubes. I said "that seems easy enough; I can do that at home; thanks"! I then walked over to the other service rep to pick-up my car (that was in for it's free oil change and to check again my leaky sunroof). He then told me something like sign here and you can pay at the cashier. When I asked what I am paying for he looked on the form and told me $29; we had to clean the drain holes of debris, which is an out of warranty repair. When he realized I was the same guy that just asked the other service rep how they clean debris from the sunroof, he realized the discussion that was about to happen if he pursued... so he made the workorder no charge.

I purchased a new blow-gun attachment for my compressor that has a long metal tube on it. Just because I blow air down the tube, how do I really know the tube is clear and will not leak? Again my question: If I slowly pour water down the drain holes of my sunroof, where does the water drain out? Where is the other end of the drain hose? How do I know if the hose leaks where it fits over the sunroof drain tube?

I have a stained tan headliner, and I am not sure the sunroof truly does not leak. How many others are having the same problem? :confused:
My wife's 08 Liberty was/is stained on the driverside corner of the headliner. After some research I tried the following:
1. Opened sunroof and cleaned around the corners where drain tubes are located.

2. Small cup of water and slowly poor into channel one side at a time if possible. This should drain at your front wheel wells just behind the cover. If you see water dripping underneath near the wheels you should be good.
I only did the front channels as this is where I was getting the stains.

3. With air compressor and long extension on the end, blow out each corner. Actually sticking the extension somewhat inside the drain tube, you can hear it exit out behind the wheel well..

Not that it is your issue but I found my sunroof down on one corner (driver side). If from the outside you look at the sunroof it should be almost level with your roof. I found one side to be lower than the other and adjusted from inside the channel by loosening with some torx screws and lifting up on that side till almost flush with roof.

Not sure how that happened but seems to be better now. I'll keep rechecking and post if I find anything else.

#27 ·
I'd like to hear more from others as well. I too have this problem and was at the dealership today to have them look at it. My KK is a 2011 Renegade w/ sunroof. I have about 9,500 miles on it. He said they would clear the sunroof drain lines, which I'm assuming they did. When I asked what I was to do about the stained headliner I was told they want to wait to make sure clearing the lines was the issue before addressing the headliner stains. They did note that I mentioned the stains on the invoice so hopefully they'll do something about the stains if the leak has been fixed, but I guess it's up to me to follow up. I noticed in a web search that a class action was filed (Jay Miller et al. v. Chrysler Group LLC) so its a known issue. I dont want to be a pain at the dealership but my 7 month old Jeep shouldnt have brown water spots in the headliner either. I plan to take a hose to it tonight and see what develops. I pulled the driver side A Pillar myself when I first noticed the leak after a hard rain and the a pillar was full of water, which was obviously going somewhere and I can only imagine it had to run by some electronics or something on it's way down to the floor. I fear that this will be a problem later on with rust or corrosion. There has already been a noticeable musty smell a couple times.

Attachments

#29 ·
Warning: If you have a roof leaking onto a carpeted interior in a vehicle with a sealed cabin you need to spray the carpet down with antimicrobial spray and vacuum it out , then make sure it dries bone dry.

If the mold sets in and starts spreading it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of the mold and the stink. And some people are severely allergic to carpet mold.

Ask me how I know.

:cough:

:shudder:

#67 ·
I unfortunately have found this out the hard way. After swapping out vehicles with my father-in-law taking the 2011 Jeep Liberty Renegade with 60,000 miles on it. I noticed all the water on the roof. The first rain we had noticed the water in the car. I've had pneumonia and a cough for 5 weeks now. I do have asthma but I also have a compromised immune system. Good times. Since it's way past the warranty we are screwed yay! Now I know why things have been shorting out on the vehicle.

#30 ·
Leaking sunroof too

Hi.

My 2006 Jeep Liberty has a leaking sunroof. It started withing this last year. If not under warranty, what is the average cost of the fix by the dealer?

I looked up the docket for the lawsuit and it looks like due to Chrysler's bankruptcy, they claim they cannot be sued. But the case is pending at this point.

Thanks.

Linda

#32 ·
Good luck! My sunroof has leaked since I bought my jet back in September! I was told to pretty much suck it up and get over it. It's a design flaw!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#34 ·
Well, took the jeep in on Monday. Driving there Sunday night I could almost watch water soak the headliner above the A pillars. Suppose to be all fixed up. Reapaired and readjusted one drain tube and replaced the other. Also tweeked the weatherstripping around the sunroof. I have zero hope for this fix. When I got home today from work, I looked down on the passenger floor and noticed a bit of water on my rubber mat. Lifted it up and there was an actual puddle laying on the floor. There has been little snow since the fix, so either it was there the whole time or the company that came in and serviced the thing did it. I took a shopvac to the floor and got about half a gallon out. I quit after 15 minutes. It was dark and I'm just POed! I would have never gotten a jeep with a sunroof if I knew of this issue ahead of time. At the very least it was warranty work. Rant over!