Roof LEAK!! sunroof drain tube problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Roof LEAK!! sunroof drain tube problems

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedel59 View Post
Yeah they took the headliner down to access the hose on my 2008. Made a hell of a mess with my headliner, lots of greasy black hand prints that they didn't even bother to clean but fixed the leak and eventual flooding on the floor. Three months later, the floor was flooded again from the sunroof leak. Didn't take it back for the leak; just lived with it until I traded it in for 2011 without sunroof this time 2 months ago. No more worrying about leaks and stains after a rain storm.
That's why I won't let them do it. I would go ape**** if they left black handprints all over.

How do they peel back the headliner and fix it? Can anyone share any photos? I'd love to be able to do this myself!

No trading in for me since mine is owned and not a lease.

Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65R17 WeatherTech Floor Liners Mopar Cargo Tray
LibertyHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Clean it weekly
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

Roof leaks driving me crazy!!!!

I have now been back to the dealer 6 times for the exact same roof leak on my 07 Commander. It leaked the first week I owned it. Took it in, claimed they fixed and repeat....at at different dealership for the next 3 visits all under warranty. Happened again in Nov. Took it in (now out of warranty) and charged me to fix. It's now an environmental issue according to service manager and drain tubes were clogged. Picking it up again from dealer tomorrow - leaked again last weekend. Dealer still claims that I must have left the sunroof open and leaved and acorns blew in!!!! It isn't even physically possible for an acorn to blow in even if I ever did leave the sunroof open, which I never have. I'm at a loss now. Totally frustrated and don't know what to do. Seems to be a flaw in the design. I keep my vehicle very clean and if a leaf does land on my jeep I will actually pick off before driving. Still don't understand how my service advisor told me that I need to do a better job of keeping it free of debris. It's a jeep, I can't drive it outside anymore? WTF? Does anyone have a similar experience that may help me fix this recurring problem? I love the vehicle but Jeep needs to fix this problem.
yellowdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
ron-b

interesting that i came across this posting. I was just looking at a 08 liberty today with the sky slider roof and noticed water stains on the headliner.Funny that the dealer said the previous owner must have left it open and that they had checked and it didnt leak. now i see that this is a common problem and a well known one at that.Think im going to try and talk my wife into NOT getting this model and try for a regular hardtop.The last owner had it less than a yr and i get a feeling this thing is gonna b a headach if she gets it
ron-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
sbougon
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedel59 View Post
Yeah they took the headliner down to access the hose on my 2008. Made a hell of a mess with my headliner, lots of greasy black hand prints that they didn't even bother to clean but fixed the leak and eventual flooding on the floor. Three months later, the floor was flooded again from the sunroof leak. Didn't take it back for the leak; just lived with it until I traded it in for 2011 without sunroof this time 2 months ago. No more worrying about leaks and stains after a rain storm.
Mine was in the shop 4 times, sunroof still leaks. Taped it shut with waterproof electrical tape. Headliner ruined, carpet probably ruined...and who knows what else. Jeep dealers suck.
sbougon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
rrellison

We have a 2010 Jeep Commander. We have water coming the vehicle through the sunroof. The dealership says the drain tubes were clogged and therefore not covered under warranty. It rained again and we have even more water coming in. We are going to take back to the dealership! The vehicle is housed in a garage and rarely has the sunroof open. This appears to be either a design flaw in the vehicle or a poorly made sunroof. We have had numerous vehicles with sunroofs and have never had any issues with any of them. It looks like the sunroof Itself does not close properly as there appears to be a gap where the sunroof closes at the front of each corner. In addition, the way the vehicle is made, the entire roof surface flows water toward the sunroof (and the gaps of each corner). Let's see what the dealership says when we take back for service again. Does anyone have any suggestions.
rrellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

I bet the dealership says something like "we had to clean debris out of the drain tubes therefore it's an environmental issue". They will continue to supposedly "fix" while in warranty but charge you every time once out of warranty. It's not considered a fix in my book if you have the same problem but that's just my take. Please post what the dealership says.
yellowdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #23
slipperybrain
2011 KK Liberty 

I am not sure if I am asking this question on the right post, but I think so. i have noticed some water stains on the upper right and left side near the front window on the upholstery ceiling. When I first purchased this vehicle new, I noticed that my front window was fogging up in the upper right and left hand corners a lot when it was cold and snowy. Now I see water stains on the upholstery near where it was fogging up. Anyone else have these water stains?
slipperybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #24
petejp

there is a video on youtube on how to fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrellison View Post
We have a 2010 Jeep Commander. We have water coming the vehicle through the sunroof. The dealership says the drain tubes were clogged and therefore not covered under warranty. It rained again and we have even more water coming in. We are going to take back to the dealership! The vehicle is housed in a garage and rarely has the sunroof open. This appears to be either a design flaw in the vehicle or a poorly made sunroof. We have had numerous vehicles with sunroofs and have never had any issues with any of them. It looks like the sunroof Itself does not close properly as there appears to be a gap where the sunroof closes at the front of each corner. In addition, the way the vehicle is made, the entire roof surface flows water toward the sunroof (and the gaps of each corner). Let's see what the dealership says when we take back for service again. Does anyone have any suggestions.
video on youtube called how to fix leak on jeep commander
petejp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
tbeaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog44 View Post
I have now been back to the dealer 6 times for the exact same roof leak on my 07 Commander. It leaked the first week I owned it. Took it in, claimed they fixed and repeat....at at different dealership for the next 3 visits all under warranty. Happened again in Nov. Took it in (now out of warranty) and charged me to fix. It's now an environmental issue according to service manager and drain tubes were clogged. Picking it up again from dealer tomorrow - leaked again last weekend. Dealer still claims that I must have left the sunroof open and leaved and acorns blew in!!!! It isn't even physically possible for an acorn to blow in even if I ever did leave the sunroof open, which I never have. I'm at a loss now. Totally frustrated and don't know what to do. Seems to be a flaw in the design. I keep my vehicle very clean and if a leaf does land on my jeep I will actually pick off before driving. Still don't understand how my service advisor told me that I need to do a better job of keeping it free of debris. It's a jeep, I can't drive it outside anymore? WTF? Does anyone have a similar experience that may help me fix this recurring problem? I love the vehicle but Jeep needs to fix this problem.
where i live in MA, if they can't fix it after 3 times it falls under the lemon law. basically you get out of that car and into something else.
tbeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
mjcougler
2008 KK Liberty 

Leaky sunroof

I want to re-activate this post with a question. I'm not sure my sunroof leak is truly fixed. How can I test my sunroof drain holes to make sure they truly are draining correctly? First a little background:

Three times I took it in for a leaky sunroof. The first time, under warranty, they said they made sure the drain holes were working correctly and they adjusted the sunroof to make sure it was closing properly. The other two times they said they cleaned the drain tubes of debris; no charge.

Again recently, after a rain the headliner was wet, so I asked them to check it when I took it in the next time for my free oil change. When I walked in to pick-up my car after it's free oil change, I asked one of the service reps how they clean out the drain holes of a sunroof. He said they simply blow air down the drain tubes. I said "that seems easy enough; I can do that at home; thanks"! I then walked over to the other service rep to pick-up my car (that was in for it's free oil change and to check again my leaky sunroof). He then told me something like sign here and you can pay at the cashier. When I asked what I am paying for he looked on the form and told me $29; we had to clean the drain holes of debris, which is an out of warranty repair. When he realized I was the same guy that just asked the other service rep how they clean debris from the sunroof, he realized the discussion that was about to happen if he pursued... so he made the workorder no charge.

I purchased a new blow-gun attachment for my compressor that has a long metal tube on it. Just because I blow air down the tube, how do I really know the tube is clear and will not leak? Again my question: If I slowly pour water down the drain holes of my sunroof, where does the water drain out? Where is the other end of the drain hose? How do I know if the hose leaks where it fits over the sunroof drain tube?

I have a stained tan headliner, and I am not sure the sunroof truly does not leak. How many others are having the same problem?
mjcougler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
TMD78

I'd like to hear more from others as well. I too have this problem and was at the dealership today to have them look at it. My KK is a 2011 Renegade w/ sunroof. I have about 9,500 miles on it. He said they would clear the sunroof drain lines, which I'm assuming they did. When I asked what I was to do about the stained headliner I was told they want to wait to make sure clearing the lines was the issue before addressing the headliner stains. They did note that I mentioned the stains on the invoice so hopefully they'll do something about the stains if the leak has been fixed, but I guess it's up to me to follow up. I noticed in a web search that a class action was filed (Jay Miller et al. v. Chrysler Group LLC) so its a known issue. I dont want to be a pain at the dealership but my 7 month old Jeep shouldnt have brown water spots in the headliner either. I plan to take a hose to it tonight and see what develops. I pulled the driver side A Pillar myself when I first noticed the leak after a hard rain and the a pillar was full of water, which was obviously going somewhere and I can only imagine it had to run by some electronics or something on it's way down to the floor. I fear that this will be a problem later on with rust or corrosion. There has already been a noticeable musty smell a couple times.
jeep.jpg  
TMD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #28
louder1
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcougler View Post
I want to re-activate this post with a question. I'm not sure my sunroof leak is truly fixed. How can I test my sunroof drain holes to make sure they truly are draining correctly? First a little background:

Three times I took it in for a leaky sunroof. The first time, under warranty, they said they made sure the drain holes were working correctly and they adjusted the sunroof to make sure it was closing properly. The other two times they said they cleaned the drain tubes of debris; no charge.

Again recently, after a rain the headliner was wet, so I asked them to check it when I took it in the next time for my free oil change. When I walked in to pick-up my car after it's free oil change, I asked one of the service reps how they clean out the drain holes of a sunroof. He said they simply blow air down the drain tubes. I said "that seems easy enough; I can do that at home; thanks"! I then walked over to the other service rep to pick-up my car (that was in for it's free oil change and to check again my leaky sunroof). He then told me something like sign here and you can pay at the cashier. When I asked what I am paying for he looked on the form and told me $29; we had to clean the drain holes of debris, which is an out of warranty repair. When he realized I was the same guy that just asked the other service rep how they clean debris from the sunroof, he realized the discussion that was about to happen if he pursued... so he made the workorder no charge.

I purchased a new blow-gun attachment for my compressor that has a long metal tube on it. Just because I blow air down the tube, how do I really know the tube is clear and will not leak? Again my question: If I slowly pour water down the drain holes of my sunroof, where does the water drain out? Where is the other end of the drain hose? How do I know if the hose leaks where it fits over the sunroof drain tube?

I have a stained tan headliner, and I am not sure the sunroof truly does not leak. How many others are having the same problem?
My wife's 08 Liberty was/is stained on the driverside corner of the headliner. After some research I tried the following:
1. Opened sunroof and cleaned around the corners where drain tubes are located.

2. Small cup of water and slowly poor into channel one side at a time if possible. This should drain at your front wheel wells just behind the cover. If you see water dripping underneath near the wheels you should be good.
I only did the front channels as this is where I was getting the stains.

3. With air compressor and long extension on the end, blow out each corner. Actually sticking the extension somewhat inside the drain tube, you can hear it exit out behind the wheel well..

Not that it is your issue but I found my sunroof down on one corner (driver side). If from the outside you look at the sunroof it should be almost level with your roof. I found one side to be lower than the other and adjusted from inside the channel by loosening with some torx screws and lifting up on that side till almost flush with roof.

Not sure how that happened but seems to be better now. I'll keep rechecking and post if I find anything else.
louder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #29
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Warning: If you have a roof leaking onto a carpeted interior in a vehicle with a sealed cabin you need to spray the carpet down with antimicrobial spray and vacuum it out , then make sure it dries bone dry.

If the mold sets in and starts spreading it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of the mold and the stink. And some people are severely allergic to carpet mold.

Ask me how I know.

:cough:

:shudder:
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #30
LindaK
2006 KK Liberty 

Leaking sunroof too

Hi.

My 2006 Jeep Liberty has a leaking sunroof. It started withing this last year. If not under warranty, what is the average cost of the fix by the dealer?

I looked up the docket for the lawsuit and it looks like due to Chrysler's bankruptcy, they claim they cannot be sued. But the case is pending at this point.

Thanks.

Linda
LindaK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.