Roof LEAK!! sunroof drain tube problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Roof LEAK!! sunroof drain tube problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo

Unread 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
CoachRamirez
2008 KK Liberty 

Roof LEAK!! sunroof drain tube problems

Have a roof leak. Headliner wet at top of driver side A pillar. Water soaks the part of the headliner coming to the plastic a pillar cover, drips down behind the plastic, drips onto the speaker on the door and soaks the carpet. Who knows what damage is happening behind the plastics.

Dealer said they found a leak in the windshield. Told me to bring it back to the windshield shop who replaced my windshield last April.
Windshield shop said there is no leak in the windshield and showed me the water dripping from the fitting where the hose attatches to the plastic pan.

Usually the problem is a clogged tube that causes the water to overflow the pan and come into the cabin. This is not the case the fitting is actually leaking.

Bringing back to the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem with a KK? They should replace the stained headliner right? What about the unknown water damage to the carpet, rusting, etc.? I have the lifetime extended warranty in addition to the lifetime powertrain.

CoachRamirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooznxt2 View Post
Have a roof leak. Headliner wet at top of driver side A pillar. Water soaks the part of the headliner coming to the plastic a pillar cover, drips down behind the plastic, drips onto the speaker on the door and soaks the carpet. Who knows what damage is happening behind the plastics.

Dealer said they found a leak in the windshield. Told me to bring it back to the windshield shop who replaced my windshield last April.
Windshield shop said there is no leak in the windshield and showed me the water dripping from the fitting where the hose attatches to the plastic pan.

Usually the problem is a clogged tube that causes the water to overflow the pan and come into the cabin. This is not the case the fitting is actually leaking.

Bringing back to the dealer. Has anyone else had this problem with a KK? They should replace the stained headliner right? What about the unknown water damage to the carpet, rusting, etc.? I have the lifetime extended warranty in addition to the lifetime powertrain.
Is the problem resolved?
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

had this problem, dealer fixed it in 20 minutes while i waited
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
Did the dealer explained what they did ?
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
CoachRamirez
2008 KK Liberty 

I was told the line was kinked. We will see. It's been in the shop since last Monday for the heater core problem. Supposed to get it back today but at the last minute they said there is a problem with the blower and maybe I will get it back tomorrow.
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooznxt2 View Post
I was told the line was kinked. We will see. It's been in the shop since last Monday for the heater core problem. Supposed to get it back today but at the last minute they said there is a problem with the blower and maybe I will get it back tomorrow.
bummer .... while its there, ask the service tech if these recalls applies to your VIN :

Safety Features Crash Test Ratings Recalls
Recall ID # 3915 - VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD Full Details
Recall Date SEP 09, 2008
Component VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD
Model Affected Liberty
Potential Units Affected 494

Recall Date:SEP 09, 2008Model Affected:2008 Jeep LibertySummary:CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 494 MY 2008 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES. THE WINDSHIELD AND/OR FIXED REAR QUARTER GLASS MAY HAVE BEEN ASSEMBLED USING INCORRECT URETHANE ADHESIVE. THIS COULD AFFECT GLASS RETENTION.

Consequences:IF THE GLASS SEPARATES WHILE DRIVING, IT COULD STRIKE ANOTHER VEHICLE OR INJURE A PEDESTRIAN.

RemedyEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WINDSHIELD AND/OR FIXED REAR QUARTER GLASS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 13, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Potential Units Affected:494
Notes:CHRYSLER LLC

Recall ID # 24035 - PARKING BRAKE Full Details
Recall Date OCT 08, 2008
Component PARKING BRAKE
Model Affected Liberty
Potential Units Affected 3663

Recall Date:OCT 08, 2008
Model Affected:2008 Jeep Liberty
Summary:CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 3,663 MY 2007-2008 DODGE NITRO AND MY 2008 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS. THE PARK BRAKE LEVER CLUTCH DRUM MAY DISTORT AND REDUCE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE PARK BRAKE SYSTEM.

Consequences:THIS COULD ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO MOVE INADVERTENTLY AND CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

RemedyEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PARK BRAKE LEVER ASSEMBLY FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 27, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Potential Units Affected:3663

Notes:CHRYSLER LLC

Recall ID # 30014 - VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER:MOTOR Full Details
Recall Date NOV 03, 2010
Component VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER:MOTOR
Model Affected Liberty
Potential Units Affected 12027

Recall Date:NOV 03, 2010
Model Affected:2008 Jeep

LibertySummary:CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 JEEP LIBERTY VEHICLES. THE VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTORS THAT CONTAIN EXCESS ADHESIVE THAT MAY ALLOW FOR WATER INTRUSION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN INTERMITTENT AND EVENTUALLY INOPERATIVE WINDSHIELD WIPER OPERATION.

Consequences:A FAILING OR INOPERATIVE WINDSHIELD WIPER SYSTEM WILL REDUCE A DRIVER'S VISIBILITY WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

RemedyEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 1, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Potential Units Affected:12027

Notes:CHRYSLER GROUP LLC
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

it was the line that goes under the windshield and collects water and routes it into the pipe. it was not bent properly and was dripping water on the liner
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Catalysis

A dealer in NY had a 2006 Liberty with the same problem, except they claimed it was due to a bee. Yes, the insect that collects honey. I was initially going to purchase that one, but I waited on it for a few days and didn't put a down payment on it so they sold it under me. Wasn't too happy, but I chose a nice OD green 2008 liberty. Never looked back.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
redsox14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
Did the problem ever come back for you? I just bought a 2008 liberty Saturday and picked it up after work today....I was driving home when a Sudden downpour came and it started leaking. I brought it right back and they claim it was probably a clogged drain so they kept it overnight....now I'm worried.

Who gets a rental car the day they are supposed to drive their new car home? Sigh, I'm already thinking I should have kept my wrangler...
redsox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
CoachRamirez
2008 KK Liberty 

When they fixed mind they said the line was kinked. Haven't had trouble since. I do have a stained headliner now though.
Unread 11-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
joshkincannon

Jeep lawsuit over sunroof problems

We are currently investigating claims from owners of 2006-2011 Jeep Patriot, Liberty, Compass, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and Commanders that have had sunroof leaking problems that have not been repaired. Many drivers don't know that this problem is well known to Chrysler and its agents, who have refused to address and correct the faulty drainage tubes, claiming that the leaks result from other non-Chrysler factors and not covered under warranty. However, between 1999 and 2010 Chrysler issued no less than NINE Technical Service Bulletins addressing the issue of faulty drainage tubes and water leaks.

The leaks can cause the following physical damages:

Degradation of structural components, wiring and passenger cabin;
Shorts in the electrical circuitry;
Engine stalls;
Instrument malfunctions in seat and window controls;
Standing water on floors and mats leading to degradation of floor carpeting and sub-structure;
Water stains;
Hazardous mold and mildew, with associated smells;
Dampened and damaged interior seats and headrests;
Weakened components and structures; and
Rust.

If you have experienced this problem please reply or send me an email at jkincannon@keefebartels.com. Thanks all and thanks to the webmaster for maintaining such a comprehensive site.
joshkincannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Meno19
2008 KK Liberty 

Actually I had that happen and Jeep covered the adjustment of the drain tube under warranty. Haven't had a problem since.
Meno19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Got the same problem with my 08 KK as the original poster. If its just a kinked drain tube, how do they fix it? Do they need access to the interior of the cabin or can they fix it from the outside and I can keep my car locked. I have a thing about letting techs get inside my car with dirty hands. Not worth the trouble to me if they have to get inside to fix it. If can only fix from the inside, any way I can DIY?
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65R17 WeatherTech Floor Liners Mopar Cargo Tray
LibertyHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
Meno19
2008 KK Liberty 

Yeah they dropped the ceiling panel down.
Meno19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
mikedel59
2011 KK Liberty 

Yeah they took the headliner down to access the hose on my 2008. Made a hell of a mess with my headliner, lots of greasy black hand prints that they didn't even bother to clean but fixed the leak and eventual flooding on the floor. Three months later, the floor was flooded again from the sunroof leak. Didn't take it back for the leak; just lived with it until I traded it in for 2011 without sunroof this time 2 months ago. No more worrying about leaks and stains after a rain storm.
mikedel59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.