Rocky roof rails install?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Rocky roof rails install??

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
stubble88

Rocky roof rails install??

What Im I missing here?
Rocky Road Outfitters roof rail:
So far it looks like a very piss poor design or they sent me the wrong rails, or Im stupid (probably this one).
These little oem bolts do not look strong enough to hold this big rail.
Do need to have some sort of oem setup to be able to even install these?
They came with 8 much bigger bolts and nuts but I would have to remove the insides of the KK to get there. If not then they did not send me the black bolt cap thingy's that I see on their website.
Why is there this space inbetween the bracket the roof?

stubble88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

That's about there quality standard there,crap as usual.
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
stubble88

ok
so are these stock bolts supposed to hold these rails in place?
Do all KK's come with these rail bolts?
Has anyone here installed these rails?
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
griff02
2008 KK Liberty 

I don't have any advice from having any, but I am glad you posted your experience. I was considering those myself. I would think that the stock bolts would be ok under normal conditions, most of your weight would be pushing down. I would just put some thick washers on them. Are the bolts tack welded to the top, or do they run through the roof? Tack welds may be an issue, if you plan on using the rails for the weight they are intended for.
griff02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
T1NGNR

Just saw this, but thought would reply. I have installed these rails. I didn't see a lot of problem with the mounting since the rail wants to sit down, especially with weight on it. The bolts basically keep it from wanting to move front to back.

I did, however, have problems with the manufacturing. First off, they sent me two Left hand rails with different mounting plates. Seems that the wrong plates were put on even though the angle was for the Left side. I had a big trip coming up and couldn't wait for new ones so I had to drill one hole to make them fit.

Second problem is that they do not allow for shrinkage when they weld the plates on. this caused the plates to no longer follow the roof line (assuming they did in the beginning). This caused a problem when I tightened down the nuts. What happened was that the rail feet were strong enough that it pulled the tack-weld apart at the roof line. I had a significant leak and found out this was the problem. I took the rails off, used a pair of channel locks and bent the relatively soft metal to follow the roof line. Then I sealed the new openings (which will now always be a problem thank you Rocky Road) and re-mounted everything.

I have tossed emails back and forth with the owner of Rocky Road and I feel for his situation of not having the best local work pool to pick from, but this is the second item I have purchased and have had problems with both of them. I have seen his lift kits and would love to have one, but I don't think I would take the chance of ordering from them again. It seems the company has some great ideas, but terrible quality control and poor customer service.
T1NGNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
flagon

stubble -

what rails did you start off with?

I have these, do you know how to get them off?

Thanks!

flagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
stubble88

well seeing that I was not planning on reusing these useless things, I just ripped them off.
I just got one side started and then pulled.
I tried to take it easy and that just made it worse. The second one I just yanked off and it came off all intact.
Your left with two tacked on tiny bolts on each corner. Those need to stay.
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1NGNR View Post
Just saw this, but thought would reply. I have installed these rails. I didn't see a lot of problem with the mounting since the rail wants to sit down, especially with weight on it. The bolts basically keep it from wanting to move front to back.

I did, however, have problems with the manufacturing. First off, they sent me two Left hand rails with different mounting plates. Seems that the wrong plates were put on even though the angle was for the Left side. I had a big trip coming up and couldn't wait for new ones so I had to drill one hole to make them fit.

Second problem is that they do not allow for shrinkage when they weld the plates on. this caused the plates to no longer follow the roof line (assuming they did in the beginning). This caused a problem when I tightened down the nuts. What happened was that the rail feet were strong enough that it pulled the tack-weld apart at the roof line. I had a significant leak and found out this was the problem. I took the rails off, used a pair of channel locks and bent the relatively soft metal to follow the roof line. Then I sealed the new openings (which will now always be a problem thank you Rocky Road) and re-mounted everything.

I have tossed emails back and forth with the owner of Rocky Road and I feel for his situation of not having the best local work pool to pick from, but this is the second item I have purchased and have had problems with both of them. I have seen his lift kits and would love to have one, but I don't think I would take the chance of ordering from them again. It seems the company has some great ideas, but terrible quality control and poor customer service.
They steel other ideas,they do not come up with there own stuff,just cheap copies of better products is all they know how to produce.

You are very right about there customer service though.
Unread 10-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
pacolopez
2010 KJ Liberty 

Hi,
This is what I found.
Rails - Mopar
Racks - Thule
liberty-kayaks-close-up.jpg   liberty-kayaks.jpg  
pacolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

If you are looking for a good rack both Thule pronounced (Toolie) and Yakima sell great roof racks. Thule is all made in the U.S. a few parts are made in Sweden and I bleieve Yakima is mostly made in China. Both great systems I tell customers that the only thing different is that Yakima rack systems place bottle openers on their racks LOL. Both sites have great websites if you need to fit your rig :]
Poncherello is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
mswebb

Revamping this thread. Yakima and Thule still don't have bare-roof (as shown in the picture above with the red liberty) systems. I just purchased a 2012 Liberty with no roof rails, just the rubber bumpers. Didn't really know why the bumpers were there but it's because the rack mount bolts are pre-installed in the Liberty roof and need to be covered when no rack is installed.

Now on the rack...

I ordered the Rocky Road roof rails and basic rack. Installing the rails is very straight forward.

Step one - get a good hold on the front end of the rubber bumper on the roof and pry/pull it off. No tools necessary.
Step two - use a plastic scraper and elbow grease to remove the resulting adhesive tape strip in the rood channel (mine is still up there)
Step three - carefully place the rails in place over the mounting bolts. The rails are stamped and the instruction sheet provided tells you which side and direction they go.
Step four - place a washer on each mounting bolt and using a 7/16 wrench/ratchet tighten provided bolts. You will need a wrench for the bolt directly under the rail.

I like the look of the racks but the connections bolts are pretty raw and look amateurish. I also don't like the factory mounting bolts visibly sticking up through the rail mount. Thule and Yakima are complete packages with all connections covered and neat. This is pure, tough looking, bolt-on installation.

That covers the roof rails. For Rocky Road crossbars, use the provided hardware (pipe mounts and U-bolts) to bolt the cross members to the rails. You will need a 9/16 wrench/ratchet. Ratchet works fine for all bolts. Because the Liberty roof is wider at the front than at the back, you have to use the shorter bar at the back and the longer at the front. There are no instructions provided with the crossbar kit. According to customer support the front bar is to be installed as close to the front as possible (just above the curve) while the back is to be installed at the very back. The front bar is super tight in the front but the back being a shorter bar can be moved forward to some degree and will need to be to support any type of rooftop carrying system for bikes, skis, etc.

Fortunately for me, Rocky Road is local as the front crossbar I received is a bit too long and won't fit between the side rails without spreading them and putting unnecessary outward pressure on the mounting bolts. I'm taking the bar back and having it cut and re coated to fit better. Going to recommend they just cut them a bit shorter for all installations.

Will post some pictures when the rack is completely installed.
mswebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I need a system with rails that go all the way forward. I'd love to see your install. Keep me posted.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
mswebb

Drive down to Rocky Road and had the front bar cut to fit better. Not concerned about powder coating the cut end but they did rust paint it. Much better install with a bit more flexibility by only removing about 1/16th inch of tube.

imageuploadedbyautoguide1368549243.932047.jpg

imageuploadedbyautoguide1368549264.964887.jpg

imageuploadedbyautoguide1368549285.803813.jpg

One small area of concern - it looks like the powder coating over a weld on the mounting plate is incomplete and I'm already seeing a bit of surface rust. I'll clean it up and coat it with rust paint.

imageuploadedbyautoguide1368549443.130731.jpg

Will toss up a couple of pictures once I mount the accessories (snowboard/bike carriers)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
mswebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Mine are starting to rust like a MOFO after only ~17 months. Although I put them on in winter and take them off in summer which mucks the PC up each time I do it. Also, you might want to replace the washers with stainless ones as the stock ones will rust fast
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
mtbiker
2011 KK Liberty 

They should have designed a boot to cover that hardware. It looks janky. There has to be a cleaner solution. As much as I am not a fan of the chrome, I think I'll be sticking w/ the factory rails. Also, why would a manufacturer make a SUV w/o a roof rack? Kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me.
mtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.