ROcky road outfitters budget lift kit performance - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > ROcky road outfitters budget lift kit performance

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I had the RRO spacers on for a bit. Big waste of money IMO. I took if off and put on OME springs and shocks, plus a few extra parts. My KK corners way better than new but the ride is slightly stiffer.

Unread 11-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmic0925 View Post
If you get the A-Arms it leads up to a grand anyway in price. For the extra couple bucks wouldnt Tom's Econo Lift be the better buy?
You can always build onto the kit to basically build the econo lift. Econo lift gives you ironman front springs and shocks, rear 4" jba springs and ironman shocks, a-arms, plus the clevis spacer and top plates.

If you want to sit about 3-3.5" high you're looking at spending $1200-1400. If you want 4" you need the JBA coilovers which can cost around $3000-4000+.

My OME/Bilstein came out to I think $1200 or so to my door. Tom's econo lift uses the spacer plates, and clevis along with the full spring and shock lift to get the advertised 3-3.5". The only difference is that he chose to use JBA's 4" rear springs instead of stacking rear spring isolators(2 extra per side, so a total of 3). You would use the isolators if you chose to stick with OME or Ironman springs.
Unread 10-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
maccheese25
2012 KK Liberty 

I have just recently installed the the spacer lift and have had nothing but issues, CV's binding when the front droops, not a good sound at 80mph, of course A-Arm contact ( knew this before i ordered kit), brake Caliper to clevis contact (has anyone else had this issue?). I do not recommend this it is a waste of time, Rocky Road is helpful to figure out a solution and return the lift but is their Rock Father Deluxe Kit any better? Will this stop the CV's binding at full droop because the shock stops the suspension couple inches sooner? I don't see the caliper to clevis contact being fixed in any kit, can this be an issue with alignment?
maccheese25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #19
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccheese25 View Post
I have just recently installed the the spacer lift and have had nothing but issues, CV's binding when the front droops, not a good sound at 80mph, of course A-Arm contact ( knew this before i ordered kit), brake Caliper to clevis contact (has anyone else had this issue?). I do not recommend this it is a waste of time, Rocky Road is helpful to figure out a solution and return the lift but is their Rock Father Deluxe Kit any better? Will this stop the CV's binding at full droop because the shock stops the suspension couple inches sooner? I don't see the caliper to clevis contact being fixed in any kit, can this be an issue with alignment?

Get your money back from them ( if at all possible ) and get a good quality kit like OME/ Ironman front set up etc
If you have the right parts you will not have issues that you are having. Installed over 30 lifts and no issues
Unread 10-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #20
Todd710
2008 KK Liberty 

After reading, reading, reading here and other forums, installed the OME lift last weekend with no problems. Went with 2927 springs and 90009 shocks on front with terraflex bump stops and JBA upper control arms and 2731 springs and N132 shocks on rear with JBA rear bump stops. Alignment had no problems. So far, am pleased with my choice. Chose to be a bit conservative with tires 235/75R16 on factory rims, Cooper AT3. Listen to tommud and others here, and you won't go wrong.
Todd710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #21
maccheese25
2012 KK Liberty 

Rocky Road gave me RMA for my front spacers no problems with costumer service here. I ordered my OME 2927 springs from Rocky Road and Bilstein 24-139168 shocks from shockwarehouse.com (also available at AutoZone which can be easily warranted if needed). I am keeping my rear spacers cause a run an airbag so i can adjust for added gear or the ride stiffness, changing the spring to an OME would not benefit my setup. I also sourced rear shocks from a 05-10 jeep grand which just happen to be 3 inches longer than the factory liberty 100% bolt on and of course cheaper. I believe that a spacer lift is beneficial for many applications because it adds lift without sacrificing travel but as for the KK forcing the whole suspension down 3 inches in turn adds 3 inches more of max droop. Three inches more droop causes extreme stress on many major components especially the CV's (in my case binding on the freeway worst noise I've ever heard from a car). The difference in the OME setup is it increases lift but decreases travel which keeps your suspension from drooping past factory. This is your only inexpensive lift option if you want your rig to be a DD Period, Rocky Road should do more R&D and discontinue the front strut spacer. If you are still a cheap A$% you can get just the OME lift springs and reuse your useless factory shocks this would still be better than front spacers.
Unread 10-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #22
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Rocky Road gave me RMA for my front spacers no problems with costumer service here. I ordered my OME 2927 springs from Rocky Road and Bilstein 24-139168 shocks from shockwarehouse.com (also available at AutoZone which can be easily warranted if needed). I am keeping my rear spacers cause a run an airbag so i can adjust for added gear or the ride stiffness, changing the spring to an OME would not benefit my setup. I also sourced rear shocks from a 05-10 jeep grand which just happen to be 3 inches longer than the factory liberty 100% bolt on and of course cheaper. I believe that a spacer lift is beneficial for many applications because it adds lift without sacrificing travel but as for the KK forcing the whole suspension down 3 inches in turn adds 3 inches more of max droop. Three inches more droop causes extreme stress on many major components especially the CV's (in my case binding on the freeway worst noise I've ever heard from a car). The difference in the OME setup is it increases lift but decreases travel which keeps your suspension from drooping past factory. This is your only inexpensive lift option if you want your rig to be a DD Period, Rocky Road should do more R&D and discontinue the front strut spacer. If you are still a cheap A$% you can get just the OME lift springs and reuse your useless factory shocks this would still be better than front spacers.
Please never suggest reusing your front shocks or any shocks that are used when doing a lift.
You talk about suspension travel with the spacer in the rear, you need to rethink that somewhat. Having rear spacers does not give you 3 inches more travel .
And yes RRO should do away with the spacer style lifts, have cost a lot of people tons of money over the last 10-12 years
Unread 10-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #23
maccheese25
2012 KK Liberty 

I wanted the spacer on the rear because of the air bag (load helper) setup requires the factory distance and the pressure in that bag will control the firmness, a OME spring would require some type of perch for the bag to sit on, plus would not change the ride (with the bag). 99% of the last post was for the independent front suspension and was to help newbes understand why OME springs are better than Rocky Road front spacers in better detail than I ever found. Front spacers would be better (price vs labor vs lift) if the platform was able to handle it, but it can not handle a 3 inch spacer only lift. If u want to talk about travel on these KKs the rear suspension will aways out perform the front even with spacers do to design. Also lets be realistic here tho this is a discussion on the cheapest lift kit on the market.
Unread 10-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #24
AtTheHelm

Just FYI, the ome 731 rear springs are only a hair taller than the factory rears.
Edit: That goes out the door when the soft factory springs have the kk's weight on them.. Its been a long day :rotf:
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #25
maccheese25
2012 KK Liberty 

Tom,

In all honestly how can any person believe what you say about rocky road when your user name is advertising a lift kit from Rocky Roads competitor (not saying anything bad about the kit)?? I'm just a regular guy modifying his jeep and posting my experiences... I'm surprised (Budget Boost) or (Rockfather) isn't up here posting
Unread 10-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #26
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccheese25
Tom, In all honestly how can any person believe what you say about rocky road when your user name is advertising a lift kit from Rocky Roads competitor (not saying anything bad about the kit)?? I'm just a regular guy modifying his jeep and posting my experiences... I'm surprised (Budget Boost) or (Rockfather) isn't up here posting
My guess would be that he has experience...

He helped out JBA with experimenting and putting together a good suspension system at a reasonable price. He doesn't work for JBA or receive any kickbacks from them for those kits being sold. It just has his name on it because he put together... It's dang near daily someone asks 'whats the best lift for the money' or similar, so thats likely why that lift got put together.

The biggest problem with the rockfather lift is that their top plate doesn't put enough preload on the springs. It actually gives you less lift and a sloppy ride. I have experimented with daystar's top plate (which rro ripped off) and ome 927's . Took that out and the ride was much better and height increased.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #27
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Speaking from experience, the RRO spacer lift is pretty much worth it's weight in scrap. I ran one for a short time and had issues. The amount of lift wasn't a problem but the fact that my lowered shocks would top out before the uca hit the bump stop. I'm running an OME set up now and had to keep the rear spacers because I add two top plates to the front. It sits at about the same rake as stock which I intend to change some day but it works pretty good the way it is.
BTW, there is a crap load of information on lost jeeps about RRO and lifting Libertys in general. If you look around you'll probably figure out why they stay away from these sites.
Unread 10-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #28
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Tom,

In all honestly how can any person believe what you say about rocky road when your user name is advertising a lift kit from Rocky Roads competitor (not saying anything bad about the kit)?? I'm just a regular guy modifying his jeep and posting my experiences... I'm surprised (Budget Boost) or (Rockfather) isn't up here posting
Since you are new on here I'll let you slide But seriously, I've been playing with the suspension setups since 05 on the KJs ( since they are both the same setup in front and similar rear it carries over to the KK) I've either had it installed on mine or have had first hand knowledge in every kit out there for them. Seen the results, rode in them/ tested them. I've torn mine out in the AM and tried something that had to be removed that afternoon due to it not working like it should. Then again other times things were tried and they worked. When I first started in 04 on these 2 inches was a lot of lift and 2.5 was pushing it. Now look, 3.5-4 inches is the normal lift with trying and testing various different setups.
Several people a week on the various forums would ask me for a list of what worked well together at the very best possible price, so we started recommending the various parts to arrive at the best price. This then caught the attention of JBA who asked if they could advertise the " kit" and sell it. Any company out there could of done it but JBA did and its worked great since now people have another choice ( everything but bumpstops in one package) . IF you would take the time to read you would see that I never "push" the kit with my name on it, I do suggest if you want 2.5 inches of lift use this, if you want more then this works better , etc.
So yes people should be able to believe what I say, hate to see folks spend their hard earned money on parts that will not work or will provide very poor service in the long run. Some companies make parts for lifting and while it looks good on paper it doesn't work in the real world. I've just always tried to help steer people in the right direction. Thank you for your time, carry on
Unread 10-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #29
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

ATH and Tom are right. It's all because of his experience. I'll admit I was PM'ing him about setups when I was starting out(I've now moved on to messaging him on FB ). He knows his stuff and will help anyone that asks him.

We started out before JBA had the TM kit. They asked for his advice on what to put together for a 3.5" kit, because up until then you were piecing together everything. A lot of people would ask on the forums, and I'm assuming email JBA asking for their advice. Kind of smart to offer it, no body else markets a 3.5" kit. Especially at a reasonable price.

And if you notice Tom doesn't immediately suggest the 3.5" kit. If you come here and say "I only want ~2" of lift" he'll recommend Ironman or OME. If you want ~4", but don't want to spend $3-4k, he'll recommend the TM kit. Above all, if you say "I want ~4" and money isn't an issue", he stands by the adjust-a-strut system.
Unread 10-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #30
Stang977
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
He knows his stuff and will help anyone that asks him.
^^^^ This

TM 3.5 Kit. Have it, Love it.

Tom's kit made it easy for me, which was what I wanted. Click, Ship, Install & Enjoy. Can't get any easier than that.
Fuel Revolver 16X8
Rock Lizard Basket Rack

Her- 2011 WK2 Laredo X, Brilliant Black
Stang977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.