JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Replacing/accessing strut assemblies on the KK. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/replacing-accessing-strut-assemblies-kk-1572174/)

pakman325 09-06-2013 11:39 AM

Replacing/accessing strut assemblies on the KK.

Longtime creeper, first time poster.

I have just replaced my shocks on my new-to-me KK with 115k miles. Now I have purchased a new strut assembly and am navigating the process of replacing the struts now and am having more trouble.

Obviously this task is much more involved than the shocks, but I bought Monroe quick strut assemblies to make this a job that (I think) I can handle.

Looking at the engine bay and the diagrams I've seen online, I know the air box needs to come out, as well as the electrical hub... but this is where I'm hung up.

Does anyone have a walk through that supports how to remove these two components to give access to the strut assembly mounting bolts?

Any help is much appreciated.

huntb 09-06-2013 12:17 PM

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...?f=104&t=41880

pakman325 09-06-2013 12:21 PM

Wow. Fantastic. Did a search but I didn't even think about looking at a lift walkthrough. Thanks so much!

pakman325 09-16-2013 08:59 AM

Thanks again. Successfully completed that install this weekend. It was made much easier with that walkthrough. Thanks, huntb.

huntb 09-16-2013 09:42 AM

No problem, glad I could help. Also, they're not struts up front. Our Liberty's have shocks all around

pakman325 09-16-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntb (Post 16048809)
No problem, glad I could help. Also, they're not struts up front. Our Liberty's have shocks all around

I guess this is what skewed my verbiage there. I installed these... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monroe quick-struts. I guess technically, It's a coil-over.

huntb 09-16-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakman325 (Post 16049041)
I guess this is what skewed my verbiage there. I installed these... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monroe quick-struts. I guess technically, It's a coil-over.

Yeah, a strut will actually take the place of the control arm as well as taking the normal place of a shock and spring assembly, and mounts to the steering knuckle. It's a cheaper alternative for automotive manufacturers.

On another note, that's a pretty good deal on the whole assembly! Does it ride the same as stock?

pakman325 09-16-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntb (Post 16052241)
Yeah, a strut will actually take the place of the control arm as well as taking the normal place of a shock and spring assembly, and mounts to the steering knuckle. It's a cheaper alternative for automotive manufacturers.

On another note, that's a pretty good deal on the whole assembly! Does it ride the same as stock?

This was a new-to-me vehicle at 113,000 mi. Now after having driven 3k on totally shot shocks, I'd say yes!

In seriousness though, I'd imagine they are a little more firm than OME, but pretty nice ride.

$220 for all definitely made the additional cost of a complete assembly worthwhile. Saved time (and hazard) of compressing coil for about $20 extra/each side.

Done with all 4 corners in about 2 hours.

tommudd 09-17-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakman325 (Post 16052545)
This was a new-to-me vehicle at 113,000 mi. Now after having driven 3k on totally shot shocks, I'd say yes!

In seriousness though, I'd imagine they are a little more firm than OME, but pretty nice ride.

$220 for all definitely made the additional cost of a complete assembly worthwhile. Saved time (and hazard) of compressing coil for about $20 extra/each side.

Done with all 4 corners in about 2 hours.

Less firm stock or those Monroes which are are more like a marshmellow than riding on a well designed lift

pakman325 09-17-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd (Post 16074793)
Less firm stock or those Monroes which are are more like a marshmellow than riding on a well designed lift

Maybe for trail junkies. Mine is firstly a daily driver, and then secondly a camp hauler. It's a bit stiffer than most would consider comfortable on the road at this point, but I've still got a few days before I could call it settled.

tommudd 09-17-2013 07:20 AM

Most all are daily drivers on here
Good system like say a full OME setup with spring and shock replacement is better for a DD since it will handle better, ride better and no more nose dive like they have stock or with replacements like the Monroes etc. If you never go off road a full aftermarket replacement is always better.
I never run "stock rated" springs much over 15-20,000 miles when I buy a new vehicle since I like to have a good handling and ride overall.
I'm sure the new setup feels firmer since the old stock setup you had was toast, just saying there are way better setups and much better riding than stock rated 310 lb springs

pakman325 09-17-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd (Post 16076129)
Most all are daily drivers on here
Good system like say a full OME setup with spring and shock replacement is better for a DD since it will handle better, ride better and no more nose dive like they have stock or with replacements like the Monroes etc. If you never go off road a full aftermarket replacement is always better.
I never run "stock rated" springs much over 15-20,000 miles when I buy a new vehicle since I like to have a good handling and ride overall.
I'm sure the new setup feels firmer since the old stock setup you had was toast, just saying there are way better setups and much better riding than stock rated 310 lb springs

That's absolutely true. This was just a very cost effective setup for me. $300 for all four shocks was a way for me to get the suspension issues addressed and have some money left from my paycheck. :rolleyes:

The time now is 12:12 PM.