Replacing '09 Rear Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Replacing '09 Rear Brakes

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 10-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
cotterkp
2009 KK Liberty 

Replacing '09 Rear Brakes

Has anyone done the rear brakes on an '09 Liberty? I am wondering what kind of pistons the brakes have, are they the simple type that just push back in or the type that need to be spun and require the special tool?

cotterkp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
MikeDomme

I have done the rears of an 08 and they were simple. no special tools.
MikeDomme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
mjcougler
2008 KK Liberty 

Here are the problems I had. Read carefully:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...otors-1305505/

Good luck,
mjcougler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Should be a simple piston you can use a c-clamp to compress. Jack it up, break down the rears and find out - wouldn't take but a couple minutes.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
DrYJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You got a better response to your thread then I did. I just did my wife's 09 and like others have said simple piston caliper easy to change the pads. No special tools just a c-clamp.

On another note anyone know how to adjust the parking brake? I can't seem to locate a cable tension adjustment like my YJ has. Thanks.
DrYJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
medinapool
2010 KK Liberty 

I just tried to do my 2010 Liberty. The issue with my rear rotor replacement was the emergency brakes wouldnt release so i couldnt get the rotors off. I use my emergency brake once or twice a year just so they dont seize up. The issue is the inside of the rotors is about 3 inches deep. The emergency brake pads are only 2 inches wide and set inside the rotors. This leaves one inch of nothing but corrosion and traps the pads. I tried turning the adjuster from the back side (remove rubber graumet) but my adjuster wouldnt budge. This is a poor design. I beat on the rotor for 2 plus hours and had a giant gear puller. I heard the trick is taking it to a shop with a frame lift were your can put car in neutral and spin back axel as you hammer on rotors. I have done hundreds of brakes and this is the first one that i gave up on.
medinapool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
myfirstjeep1

Quote:
Originally Posted by medinapool
I just tried to do my 2010 Liberty. The issue with my rear rotor replacement was the emergency brakes wouldnt release so i couldnt get the rotors off. I use my emergency brake once or twice a year just so they dont seize up. The issue is the inside of the rotors is about 3 inches deep. The emergency brake pads are only 2 inches wide and set inside the rotors. This leaves one inch of nothing but corrosion and traps the pads. I tried turning the adjuster from the back side (remove rubber graumet) but my adjuster wouldnt budge. This is a poor design. I beat on the rotor for 2 plus hours and had a giant gear puller. I heard the trick is taking it to a shop with a frame lift were your can put car in neutral and spin back axel as you hammer on rotors. I have done hundreds of brakes and this is the first one that i gave up on.
This is what happened to me. Brought it to ashop and they had it done in minutes.
myfirstjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrYJ92 View Post
You got a better response to your thread then I did. I just did my wife's 09 and like others have said simple piston caliper easy to change the pads. No special tools just a c-clamp.

On another note anyone know how to adjust the parking brake? I can't seem to locate a cable tension adjustment like my YJ has. Thanks.
Should be an adjustment dial/star/wheel (whatever you wanna call it) behind the drum portion of the rear rotor - driverside IIRC.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrYJ92 View Post

from the 2009 KK Factory Service Manual:

05 - Brakes/05 - Brakes, Base/Parking Brake/Adjustments
ADJUSTMENTS

NOTE: The parking brake is self-adjusting, it can not be adjusted.

Additional info:
1. Remove the center floor console (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/CONSOLE, Floor - Removal) .
2. With lever in DOWN position, pull up on the core cable (4) rotating the drum (5) until the drum cut-out aligns with hole on lever tab (3), then install a punch (2) in this hole and drum cut-out. Release grasp on core cable.
3. The park brake system is now locked out to perform necessary repairs.
parking-brake.jpg

Unread 08-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
medinapool
2010 KK Liberty 

emergency brake adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Should be an adjustment dial/star/wheel (whatever you wanna call it) behind the drum portion of the rear rotor - driverside IIRC.
on a 2010 if you want to adjust emergency brake you maybe best off to remove the drum/rear rotor. You can then easily see the adjuster for that emergency brake. You can also on the back side of the wheel hub is a rubber graumet. Remove it and shine a light inside the hole. you will see the adjuster. I dont know if tightening is a good idea. You need to loosen it to remove the rotor. You would need to do both sides. These should be self adjusting and not done manually, i would think.

Last edited by medinapool; 08-17-2013 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: added more info
medinapool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
AtTheHelm

REAR DRUM IN HAT PARK BRAKE (ROTOR INSTALLED) USING ADJUSTING TOOL
Adjustment can be made with a standard brake gauge or with adjusting tool . Adjustment is performed with the complete brake assembly installed on the backing plate.

1. Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.
2. Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated freely.
3. Remove plug from each access hole in brake support plates.
4. Insert adjusting tool through support plate access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel .

5. Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when wheel is rotated.
6. Push and hold adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver.
7. Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.
8. Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.
9. Install support plate access hole plugs.
10. Lower vehicle.
11. Apply park brake hand lever and make sure park brakes hold the vehicle stationary.
12. Release park brake hand lever.

AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

I was looking at these....Anyone buy them?

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5870A0A0.aspx

or these:

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3068A0A0.aspx
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...0A2624153.aspx
shawnicles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #13
MtBJet

Powerstop makes great rotors. EBC makes great pads... Not sure about their rotors.
MtBJet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Older thread, but I always thought you often have to release the parking brake cable tension in order to get enough parking pad clearance to remove the rear rotors.
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Older thread, but I always thought you often to release the parking brake cable tension in order to get enough parking pad clearance to remove the rear rotors.
Meh...........not that old, and yes, you pretty much always have to release the parking brake in order to pull the drum or rotor (either) on the rears.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.