Replacement Keys!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Replacement Keys!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueLast Day to take advantage of 5% off August Promo

Unread 08-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
MyJeepJeep

Replacement Keys!!!

I was wondering if anyone knows how much replacement keys cost. My wonderful fiance misplaced my second set of keys and I don't like only having one copy.

I have a 2008 Liberty. Her keys have all the built in stuff and also a remote starter.

MyJeepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
gt5oh

I would like to know this too
gt5oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

You can pick up the keys and fob on Ebay relatively cheap. The problem is you will have to go to the dealer to get them programed. You can also get the chipped keys at most hardware stores now.
Thay being said, if you have two keys you can program more yourself. Buy extra keys!. I purchased a un-cut key and remote fob on Ebay for less than $15.

Dave
Unread 08-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
gt5oh

how much to get them programmed
gt5oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
rk911
2010 KK Liberty 

when we asked the dealer about two extra chipped keys he told us the cost would be around $125...each! i checked with several actual locksmiths as well as hardware stores. each would be happy to make non-chipped keys but said they did not have the resources to make chipped keys. didn't ask what the actual programming costs were but i suspect that would be the majority of the $125 charge.
1946 CJ2A, 2003 TJ, 2010 KK
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
Zurfy
2014 KL Cherokee 

The majority of the cost would be the key itself. Programming it would be minimal, if not free. Are you wanting a replacement key with the buttons or without? Just a warning that if you get the key made without the chip, you will ONLY be able to unlock the door. If try to start your truck with it, the security system will take over and disable it.

Check with your dealership and see what it costs to program the key. If you don't need all the buttons on it, I found a chipped replacement at ikeyless.com for $18. I've never ordered from them so I don't know how reliable they are.
Zurfy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
pauld73
2010 KK Liberty 

Here is the key story

The only place you can get a fully functional spare key made from scratch is your local Jeep Dealer (thanks Jeep!!) for around $125 or more.
IF YOU HAVE 2 WORKING KEYS, Then you can buy a blank key fob with a blank key and battery and circuit board for the remote THEN you can do the following:
1. BUY a blank key fob from ebay
2. Take the blank key fob and your good key to an ACE hardware store or other good quality hardware store. Have them cut the new key fob from your good one.
3. Program the new key fob yourself on your Liberty.
Go Here to learn how to program your own key---no locksmith or dealer required:

http://www.denver-locksmith.net/2013...p-liberty-key/

REMEMBER: to program a key yourself the JEEP programming procedure requires TWO good keys and a new blank key.

Paul W3BK
Pittsburgh
pauld73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
esu
1995 ZJ 

Had a 2nd key programmed for my daughters '12 Liberty yesterday at Jeep, cost $107.00 incl tax.
esu is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
esu
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld73 View Post
The only place you can get a fully functional spare key made from scratch is your local Jeep Dealer (thanks Jeep!!) for around $125 or more.
IF YOU HAVE 2 WORKING KEYS, Then you can buy a blank key fob with a blank key and battery and circuit board for the remote THEN you can do the following:
2. Take the blank key fob and your good key to an ACE hardware store or other good quality hardware store. Have them cut the new key fob from your good one.

REMEMBER: to program a key yourself the JEEP programming procedure requires TWO good keys and a new blank key.

Paul W3BK
Pittsburgh
The link doesnt say but will that process work on a 12 KK?
Unread 07-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
pauld73
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esu View Post
The link doesnt say but will that process work on a 12 KK?
Yes it will because the page on ebay where I bought my blank key said 2008 to 2012. Here is the dude selling the keys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271859814545...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Paul W3BK
Old man Jeep Lover
Unread 07-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
esu
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Yes it will because the page on ebay where I bought my blank key said 2008 to 2012. Here is the dude selling the keys:

Paul W3BK
Old man Jeep Lover
thank you,,,
Unread 07-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
pauld73
2010 KK Liberty 

I programmed a 2010 Liberty Key today and works fine. The blank came from eBay at the link I gave before. I cut the key at Home Depot, it is key #19 for the key cutter. The programming routine works good on the Liberty.
One thing though. The programming instructions tell you to wait for "the theft" light to come on for programming mode. On my 2010 Liberty there is no "theft" light. It is called "Security" and it is located about in the upper center of the console. It is a round red LED that will flash at about 1 flash/sec when jeep is in programming mode.

Paul W3BK
An old man and his Jeeps.
Unread 07-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

Paul W3BK
Pittsburgh
This should not be a easy and cheap thing to do,it's a anti-theft design to safe guard you.If it was cheap and easy it would be stolen often.
Unread 07-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
esu
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

Paul W3BK
Old man Jeep Lover
Bought the key but the instructions that came with it say '10 and newer is a dealer job????
Unread 07-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #15
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 2011 and programmed the new keys in the ignition using the two original keys. Bought a couple chipped key blanks off the internet for like $20, cut them at work and programmed them myself. Owners manual will tell you how to do it or look it up on the internet.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.