Removing the rear brake rotors
The dealer told me I needed a rear brake job, so I removed the tire to see for myself. I did not understand why the rear brakes wore out before the fronts. Many other threads confirmed that it has to do with the ABS or traction control applying the rear brakes frequently in snow.
Before attempting this repair, I did a search in this KK Forum with no results. So I'm adding this thread to share my repair frustrations to help others that have done brake repairs, but never on a Liberty.
I used a large C-clamp to slowly press the caliper piston back into the caliper so I could remove the caliper from around the rotor. I have since read in the KJ Forum that I should have loosened the brake reservoir cap so air could easily escape. I was able to remove the caliper by removing the two large caliper bracket mounting bolts. I tied the caliper up out of the way with a large heavy duty tie-wrap (coat hanger wire or parachute cord works good too).
Removing the rear brake rotors was difficult. I live in upstate NY, so 4-years of road salt had corroded where the rotor center hole fits over the axle. Rather than beat it with a bigger hammer, I purchased a large (8-inch) 3-jaw puller from Harbor Freight (on sale for $20). I needed to spray WD-40 (PB Blaster is better) around the rotor center hole and let it sit (soak) for a while. I oiled the puller threads, and I slowly tightened the puller to break the center free. Then, to get the rotor all the way off, I needed to completely loosen the parking brake star adjuster through the opening that had a rubber plug cover. I couldn't feel the adjuster star at first because the tool needed to be inserted down, at an angle. It adjusts just like the old drum brake star adjusters. If you turn it one way and the rotor won't turn anymore, turn it the other way (quite a way) to completely loosen the parking brake pads away from the rusty inner surface.
I seldom use the Emergency brake, so the entire parking brake rotor surface was severely rusted.
Tomorrow I will remove the old brake pads from the caliper. I intend to clean all the mating/rubbing surfaces with a toothbrush and brake Klean. This is necessary to completely clean where the ears on the pads are designed to move as the brakes operate and wear. I also purchased a new brake pad clip kit in case the clips are too corroded or won't clean up. I also like to use brake caliper lube or copper anti-seize paste. This is necessary to to ensure the calipers or brakes move or float freely without causing corrosion or excessive brake pad wear.
I'll try to take pictures as I disassemble and repair the other side.
Hope this helps.
08 Liberty; 67 Jeep M725 ambulance;
04 Ram 2500 CTD; 46 Willys CJ2A (not currently running)