Removing Lower Control Arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Removing Lower Control Arm

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! April Instant Rebate: Up to $75 off Flowmaster Products!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Removing Lower Control Arm

Anyone know where I can find a write up on how to remove an LCA? I need to replace my terribly squeaky bushings

huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

Service manuals are at my house. I can tell you in a couple weeks.

Should be something like, pop out the ball joint and remove two bolts in the lca.
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
NAMoulton
2010 KK Liberty 

Removing the lower control arm will REQUIRE an alignment. The LCA has the camber set washers in place and removing them to reinstall would leave a slight to drastic change.
Unread 03-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Pretty easy really to remove
Up on jackstands, jack under the control arm
Remove lower ball joint
sway bar link etc
mark where the camber bolts are set at ( that way when it goes back together it'll be somewhere close)
Remove the two camber bolts and drop it down out
Are you sure its one of the bushings in the LCA? Very seldom here of that

Mine are stock with over 200,000 and no noise
Unread 03-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Is it on both sides?
If it's on the passenger side, check your CAI heat shield if you have one installed.
Mine was rubbing on the inner fender and I thought it was the LCA. Took many days before I figured that one out.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

In order to get it out of the knuckle I have to take the clevis off though right? I got that far last time and there wasn't enough room to lift the ball joint out of the knuckle because the hub was interfering.

Tom - I have no idea but I've replaced my UBJ, pulled out my tie rod and the ball joint felt fine. I've removed my sway bar entirely and it wasn't that. Like I said I popped out the LBJ and that seemed to MO e freely as well. The only thing I haven't done is remove the upper and lower control arms entirely. The creaking noise is extremely loud and it does it while turning the wheel and during any suspension articulation. It certainly isn't a heat shield, it sounds far worse. Could it be my steering rack?
Unread 03-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #7
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

Will it make the noise while stationary if you compress the suspension or do you have to be moving?
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
Will it make the noise while stationary if you compress the suspension or do you have to be moving?
Yes, even when stationary. It even does it when I close the door too hard.
Unread 03-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

So I pulled the tierod so I can turn the hub by hand and the noise is there but very hard to tell where it is coming from. Could it be from on of the CV joints on the axle?

And my follow up to this is - does anyone have a writeup on replacing an axle? SMH...
Unread 03-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Remove caliper, brakes, tie rod , unbolt CV of course, pop off the lower and upper control arms ( ball joints) remove spindle, pull out CV
Unread 03-23-2015, 05:35 AM   #11
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

I'm guessing that I'll also have to remove the clevis? Thanks Tom, got a new one on order
Unread 03-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #12
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Good news! I have the new half shaft installed!

Bad news... the half shaft wasn't the issue. I believe its the lower ball joint and it doesn't look replaceable... can anyone confirm? Do I really need to buy a whole new LCA?
Unread 03-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #13
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

More good news... Lower ball joints can be replaced without replacing the LCA (unlike the UBJ & UCA). Mine have been done already. I have greasable LBJ's in there now.
Unread 03-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #14
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
More good news... Lower ball joints can be replaced without replacing the LCA (unlike the UBJ & UCA). Mine have been done already. I have greasable LBJ's in there now.
Part numbers? lol I'd like to know for the future
Unread 03-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #15
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Wonderful news. Now that I have it all put back together I can't wait to take it all apart again and press that rusty piece of crap out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.