Removing Grill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Removing Grill

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Removing Grill

So I was checking out CL and saw someone has a KK grill for sale. I'm not sure what year assuming they are all the same.

How hard is it to remove just the grill and if I bought the grill would spraying it with bed liner be a better idea than paint? Anyone think its worth it?

LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its a five minute job to pop it loose. Don't bother with bed liner. Paint looks better and is just fine as long as you do a decent cleaning with acetone.

Ive done mine both silver and black just to see which I like better.

Drednot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

I've got my grill Plasti dipped just for ease of removal if I choose to ever resell the jeep or want a different color

TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Yeah I love the look of the plasti dipped grill and red looks great. I was looking at buying a spare grill a guy has for sale. O would still be able to put the old one back on if needed.
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER View Post
Yeah I love the look of the plasti dipped grill and red looks great. I was looking at buying a spare grill a guy has for sale. O would still be able to put the old one back on if needed.
Honestly I'd say save your money unless it's dirt cheap. The first time you remove your grille it might take ya 10 mins. Every time after that you can do it blindfolded.

Like others have said, plastidip is a really good alternative for the grille. Mine is dipped and I love it.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Murrari
2004 TJ Wrangler 

worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER View Post
So I was checking out CL and saw someone has a KK grill for sale. I'm not sure what year assuming they are all the same.

How hard is it to remove just the grill and if I bought the grill would spraying it with bed liner be a better idea than paint? Anyone think its worth it?
Yeah I would say it is. This is what mine looks like plasti-dipped. Used 4 coats of plasti-dip, also painted my tow hooks orange.
plastidip.jpg

Unread 08-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

I have mine dipped and I liked it until last week. So when I was driving to Montana, I was wondering on two different occasions what all the "whacks" were that was hitting my vehicle. Turned out that I was going past two different bee farms. Well I did some population control and my front grill was covered everywhere and bug parts and blood. I tried some buy spray and washed it and wiped it down and it started to peel off. That was 4 coats and it wasn't strong enough in my opinion.

I need a better solution. I actually purchased a second grill off of kijiji (We use it more than Craiglist) so i'll always have my white one for stock, but the gloss black doesn't look right so I gotta figure out what to do about it.

Drednot - What type of paint did you use? Instead of the expense for a professional job ($300 bucks approx), I might consider doing it myself.
shawnicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
AtTheHelm

I'd try a diy paint job. There is a rattle can satin clear coat available from krylon and various other companies.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/SprayPaintD...FQHZQgodwgkAoQ
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnicles View Post
Drednot - What type of paint did you use? Instead of the expense for a professional job ($300 bucks approx), I might consider doing it myself.
I just used Krylon rust tough semi flat black. Its available at most local auto parts stores out here.

Every jeep guy should have a few of these on hand as they are THE black rattle can for everything under the jeep.

http://www.krylon.com/products/rust-...tative-enamel/
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks! I am going to head down there today and buy some. I need to get some stuff for the pinch weld mod anyway
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Slayers
2008 KK Liberty 

Has anyone done this with the chrome grill or will it only work on the painted?
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but everything chrome on your vehicle is actually plastic anyway.....besides your wheels of course.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnicles View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but everything chrome on your vehicle is actually plastic anyway.....besides your wheels of course..
Not always...

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

So the guy is selling the grill for $40.00. A couple cans of paint and it would look good.

Anyone think this would be a good idea?
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
Murrari
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good deal.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.