Remote start - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Remote start

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
bowlsie
2013 JK Wrangler 

Not trying to rehash an old thread but I am wanting to install one on the wife's KK. I know I can do the factory install myself but the problem I foresee running into is replacing the WCM. If I do this in the driveway and then go to start the Jeep it isn't going to happen so it would either be a tow to the dealership or drive there and replace the WCM in the parking lot then have them program it. Any ideas?
Maybe aftermarket is the way to go but I also hate the thought of her trying to keep up with 2 fobs....

2013 JKU
1988 YJ Laredo
bowlsie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #17
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

swap out the wmc and leave the OLD CURRENT one over the new Remote start, or else your jeep wont start. version from there the dealer just needs to program. My dealer didnt even charge me gave the tech 20 bucks.
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #18
jeepster-d
2009 KK Liberty 

Bowlsie - I can't say for absolutely certain but I'm pretty sure my 3rd party remote start system is interfering with my Remote Key-less Entry. Several times I've encountered a situation where the key remote won't unlock the doors after having used the remote starter at some point. If it's in that "mode" the only way to start the car is to use the remote starter from outside the locked vehicle. After the engine is running I can unlock the door with the key, put the key in the ignition, turn it to run and I can drive it - but the RKE still won't lock/unlock the doors and the security system won't allow the key to start the engine and stay running. This has stranded my Wife twice (once with the kids) - she doesn't understand the "work around" I've discovered and now she refuses to drive my car. The only way to reset it is to pry the key open, remove the battery, set for a few seconds and then close it back up - this must reset the key or somehow re-initiate the RKE system and allows it to work again.

I'd HIGHLY suggest you go with the factory one even if it means having the dealer install it. It's an expensive option I'm sure but if it's a dealer installed option designed specifically for your Jeep you can rely in it working properly. There's a lot of value in peace of mind when it comes to my Wife and kids...
jeepster-d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

I just checked with my dealer about this because I am looking to install it too. They gave me a price of $235 for the parts and $100 install. I think for the piece of mind and factory fob retention that its a great deal. I will be installing it soon.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
jeepster-d
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin11 View Post
I just checked with my dealer about this because I am looking to install it too. They gave me a price of $235 for the parts and $100 install. I think for the piece of mind and factory fob retention that its a great deal. I will be installing it soon.
Jeepin - that sounds like a good price. I have question: does the kit include new keys? My key has 3 buttons: door lock, door unlock, rear window open - plus the "panic" button. When I bought my Jeep the sales person kept pushing me to get a key protection policy added to the purchase contract because (he said) a single replacement key was $300. If a key costs 3 bills I would've thought a remote starter kit with 2 new keys having a start button would've been closer to a grand or more installed ... Since I've been having these issues with my keys, if that's the out the door price for a factory remote starter I may see about having them install the factory system.
jeepster-d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster-d

Jeepin - that sounds like a good price. I have question: does the kit include new keys? My key has 3 buttons: door lock, door unlock, rear window open - plus the "panic" button. When I bought my Jeep the sales person kept pushing me to get a key protection policy added to the purchase contract because (he said) a single replacement key was $300. If a key costs 3 bills I would've thought a remote starter kit with 2 new keys having a start button would've been closer to a grand or more installed ... Since I've been having these issues with my keys, if that's the out the door price for a factory remote starter I may see about having them install the factory system.
I think the keys by themselves are about $150. But that's because they are a stealership. The kit does include 2 new keys because they add the button for starter.
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #22
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin11

I think the keys by themselves are about $150. But that's because they are a stealership. The kit does include 2 new keys because they add the button for starter.
And I also can't say how much your dealer would charge either. I know you can buy the kit online at justforjeeps or any other mopar parts supplier. They run about the same online.
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

Speak to your sales guy hell be able to help you out.
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #24
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

You can get chipped keys at Ace Hardware for $10 cut. If you have two keys you can program extras yourself. EBay has the complete fobs with uncut key for $15 to $65 shop and watch. Just check the FCC ID number on the back of your fob for a match before you buy.

Dave
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
TMD78

Posted this in another thread as well but I was able to get the OEM full kit that comes with two keys on eBay for $185 + shipping and was told $150 to install at my local dealership. The eBay seller is a dealership and mine showed up in 2 days
TMD78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #26
bowlsie
2013 JK Wrangler 

I decided to order the factory unit off a dealer on eBay. Called my local dealership and they want 1 hour labor time to program which is $82.00.
Good thing I am installing it myself as I would hate to see what they would charge to do that. And they wonder why the locals go out of town to buy their new Jeeps. Speaking of which I may not even be installing it into our current 2011 KK as the dealer I always buy from is offering us a great deal on a 2012 Arctic. I will have my mind made up by tomorrow...lol.
Hey musclezmarinara, all I need to do is just lay the old wmc above the new one and it will fool the Jeep into thinking it is there correct?

2013 JKU
1988 YJ Laredo
bowlsie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #27
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlsie View Post
I decided to order the factory unit off a dealer on eBay. Called my local dealership and they want 1 hour labor time to program which is $82.00.
Good thing I am installing it myself as I would hate to see what they would charge to do that. And they wonder why the locals go out of town to buy their new Jeeps. Speaking of which I may not even be installing it into our current 2011 KK as the dealer I always buy from is offering us a great deal on a 2012 Arctic. I will have my mind made up by tomorrow...lol.
Hey musclezmarinara, all I need to do is just lay the old wmc above the new one and it will fool the Jeep into thinking it is there correct?
It wont fool it, it will know that the programmed WMC is in place just make sure your CURRENT key goes through the current WMC into the ignition or youll stall out within 5 seconds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.