Recall on Active Head Restraints 2011-2013 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Recall on Active Head Restraints 2011-2013

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Recall on Active Head Restraints 2011-2013

I received a recall notice in the mail and thought I'd give everyone a heads up just in case they didn't receive theirs. The recall pertains to some 2011-2013 Liberties and several other Dodge Chrysler vehicles. There are no details on exactly which Liberties are affected. It says active head restraints may not deploy during a rear end collision. Repair parts are not available yet and we will be notified when they are so that we can bring them in for recall service. Apparently they are required to send out the notices within 10 days whether they are prepared to fix the problem or not.

Saftey Recall N38/NHTSA 13V-282
Active Head Restraints

Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Found some more info at this link and copied it to this post.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...2&refurl=email

Report Receipt Date: JUL 02, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V282000
Component(s): AIR BAGS , ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 442,481

All Products Associated with this Recall

Details

2 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: Chrysler Group LLC
SUMMARY:

Chrysler is recalling certain model year 2011-2013 Sebring and 200 vehicles manufactured June 28, 2011, through December 13, 2012; model year 2011-2013 Dodge Avenger vehicles manufactured June 25, 2011, through January 14, 2013; model year 2011-2012 Dodge Nitro vehicles manufactured June 17, 2011, through December 15, 2011; and model year 2011-2012 Jeep Liberty vehicles manufactured June 17, 2011, through August 15, 2012. Electrical over-stress of a resistor in the occupant restraint control module may lead to the non-deployment of the active head restraints during a rear impact collision. CONSEQUENCE:

In the event of a crash necessitating the deployment of the active head restraints , their non-deployment could increase the risk of injury. REMEDY:

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will flash the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) or replace the occupant restraint control module, as needed, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on, or about, September 30, 2013. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-247-9753. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N38. NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone have theirs serviced? I'm still waiting for the follow up notice that they claim to be sending when they figure out what to do about it. It's getting close to 2 months now since I got the notice. I'm going to call the service department this week to see what they have to say.
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

I did, got a call out of the blue the week before Thanksgiving from the closest Jeep Dealership, took it up 2 days after and left it for 2hrs. I told them to check the firmware on my computer while they had it as well. All good, no idea what they did though, heh
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Dealership said they didn't know why I didn't receive a second notice, but they scheduled the repair for next week.
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
LaxW13
2012 KK Liberty 

I went to the dealership, and they said something about having to reprogram it. I have no idea what that meant but I was told that it would take an hour to fix. Don't kno if this helps but it's the only word I got.
LaxW13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
ArcticWC
2012 KK Liberty 

I pulled up the carfax from the dealer before I drove to Des Moines, IA on a saturday to purchase my Liberty and found that it had this recall. I asked them to make sure they fixed it before I bought the car and upon signing the papers, the carfax didn't reflect it having been done, but they told me they did it. Said it was just a computer reprogram and that it takes a couple days to show it was done on the carfax. Considering it took nearly a month for them to send me my transit title so I could register it in IL (my temp tag was good for 15 days), I'm wondering if this was actually done.

...What I'm getting at is, is there any way to check if this has been done online?
ArcticWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Go here and enter the last 8 of your VIN. Then it should show if it's incomplete or not.

http://m.jeep.com/en/mobile/webselfs...F%3Fapp%3Dwccs

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights
98ZJ SFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
ArcticWC
2012 KK Liberty 

awesome, thank you! i will check that soon.
ArcticWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Went to the dealership tonight for a reprogram and it did not work so they are replacing the active head restrain module tomorrow when they get the part. I assume it's the main control module since they said it was under the center console by the shifter.
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
JeepCares

Recall N38

 Copyright 2013, Chrysler Group LLC, All Rights Reserved
Revised November 2013
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall N38 / NHTSA 13V-282
Active Head Restraints
2012 - 2013 (JS) Chrysler 200 and Dodge Avenger (Reprogram TIPM)
2011 (JS) Chrysler 200 (Sedan and Convertible) and Dodge Avenger (ORC module replacement)
2011 - 2012 (KA) Dodge Nitro (ORC module replacement)
2011 (KK) Jeep Liberty (ORC module replacement)
2012 (KK) Jeep Liberty (Reprogram TIPM)

NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles built through January 14, 2013 (MDH 011416).
The Active Head Restraints (AHR) on about 441,000 of the above vehicles may not deploy during a rear end collision. As a result, these vehicles fail to conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 202a - “Head Restraints for Passenger Vehicles”. This could increase the risk of injury to a front seat occupant during certain crash conditions.
For 2012 and 2013 model JS vehicles: The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) must be reprogrammed (flashed).
For 2011 model JS vehicles: The Occupant Restraint Control (ORC) module must be replaced.
For 2011 and 2012 model KA vehicles: The Occupant Restraint Control (ORC) module must be replaced.
For 2011 model KK vehicles: The Occupant Restraint Control (ORC) module must be replaced.
For 2012 model KK vehicles: The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) must be reprogrammed (flashed).

I just checked and currently parts are available for ordering for the 2011 Liberty.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ORC module was replaced on my 2011. That's what my paperwork says from the repair.
Unread 10-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
Mem2193

N38 Safety Recall 2012 JEEP Liberty

Disappointing. Took mine in for this recall, SRS light was on. Flashed the TIPM. Found the ORC Module needed replacing. $400 - apparently my VIN (KX) was not covered (KA< KKVINs were). Though it odd - seems related.

Overall, electricals are unimpressive. Door locks occasionally have a mind of their own, the clock loses time, and the fan, which has already been replaced once, runs atr a lower than expected speed - unfortunate for Florida - then whimsically blasts on occasion.

Wondering if you guys are having the same experience. Better experience with my ancient 96 JGC
Mem2193 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.