Rear End... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Rear End...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 01-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
Braleymary77
2012 KK Liberty 

Rear End...

My jeep when going up hill for a mile straight up hill, by the time I get to the top of the hill my jeep stinks. You can smell it from the outside but even if the windows are shut the smells leaks into the inside of the car and its not a good smell. Any Ideas???

Braleymary77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Describe the smell a little.... rotten eggs? like a electrical burning smell? like oil on a manifold?

Something as wide open as that needs more details.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes more info, plus is it at a certain speed, going 25 or 75 , does it do it everytime etc
Could be anything from an oil leak, antifreeze, gas , transmission fluid on the exhaust ..........??????????
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Yes more info, plus is it at a certain speed, going 25 or 75 , does it do it everytime etc
Could be anything from an oil leak, antifreeze, gas , transmission fluid on the exhaust ..........??????????
.............overworked catalytic converter...... loose wire hitting something.......
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Braleymary77
2012 KK Liberty 

The mph is about 20-25 and the smell at first thought it was brakes, but then it smells burnt kind of... I was told by a friend of mine that he had the same problem that the Rear differential had to be worked on... But not sure if anyone else had the same problem. The shop said thousands of miles ago that they couldn't do anything about it because there are no lights on the dash.
Braleymary77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braleymary77 View Post
The mph is about 20-25 and the smell at first thought it was brakes, but then it smells burnt kind of... I was told by a friend of mine that he had the same problem that the Rear differential had to be worked on... But not sure if anyone else had the same problem. The shop said thousands of miles ago that they couldn't do anything about it because there are no lights on the dash.
First thing that came to mind was to ask if you have a cabin air filter.
Yours is a 2012 so it should, see if it needs to be replaced (most likely does).
Without a cabin air filter, the KK lets a lot of smells in.
It's easy to check the main spots where you might have a leak.
Gibson exhaust
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braleymary77
My jeep when going up hill for a mile straight up hill, by the time I get to the top of the hill my jeep stinks. You can smell it from the outside but even if the windows are shut the smells leaks into the inside of the car and its not a good smell. Any Ideas???
Did this just start after a recent oil change? Perhaps the common problem of a loose oil filter and oil leaking on motor?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

What kind of hill? When you say it smells like brakes burning the first thing I thought of was you being off road and the brakes were pulsing to keep traction. More info needed for sure...
mrbeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.