Rear End... - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2014, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Braleymary77
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Groton
Posts: 2
Rear End...

My jeep when going up hill for a mile straight up hill, by the time I get to the top of the hill my jeep stinks. You can smell it from the outside but even if the windows are shut the smells leaks into the inside of the car and its not a good smell. Any Ideas???

Braleymary77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2014, 07:30 AM
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron
Posts: 467
Describe the smell a little.... rotten eggs? like a electrical burning smell? like oil on a manifold?

Something as wide open as that needs more details.
josworth is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2014, 07:37 AM
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Kilimanjaro,Tanzania
Posts: 5,912
Yes more info, plus is it at a certain speed, going 25 or 75 , does it do it everytime etc
Could be anything from an oil leak, antifreeze, gas , transmission fluid on the exhaust ..........??????????

MUDD'S MOTORSPORTS
04 KJ JBA 4 IN COILOVER, 32s 4.10s
03 KJ JBA 2.5 T.C. LIFT, 31s 4.10s
tommudd is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 AM
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Yes more info, plus is it at a certain speed, going 25 or 75 , does it do it everytime etc
Could be anything from an oil leak, antifreeze, gas , transmission fluid on the exhaust ..........??????????
.............overworked catalytic converter...... loose wire hitting something.......
josworth is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Braleymary77
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Groton
Posts: 2
The mph is about 20-25 and the smell at first thought it was brakes, but then it smells burnt kind of... I was told by a friend of mine that he had the same problem that the Rear differential had to be worked on... But not sure if anyone else had the same problem. The shop said thousands of miles ago that they couldn't do anything about it because there are no lights on the dash.
Braleymary77 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 01-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Gageraid
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Branchburg
Posts: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braleymary77 View Post
The mph is about 20-25 and the smell at first thought it was brakes, but then it smells burnt kind of... I was told by a friend of mine that he had the same problem that the Rear differential had to be worked on... But not sure if anyone else had the same problem. The shop said thousands of miles ago that they couldn't do anything about it because there are no lights on the dash.
First thing that came to mind was to ask if you have a cabin air filter.
Yours is a 2012 so it should, see if it needs to be replaced (most likely does).
Without a cabin air filter, the KK lets a lot of smells in.
It's easy to check the main spots where you might have a leak.

OME lift
Hypertech Max Energy
CAI, Gibson exhaust, 4.7L throttle body
Gageraid is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 AM
rescue575
Registered User
2011 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Franklin Square
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braleymary77
My jeep when going up hill for a mile straight up hill, by the time I get to the top of the hill my jeep stinks. You can smell it from the outside but even if the windows are shut the smells leaks into the inside of the car and its not a good smell. Any Ideas???
Did this just start after a recent oil change? Perhaps the common problem of a loose oil filter and oil leaking on motor?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

2011 Liberty Sport
2 KC Slimlite[RIGHT] 130 Watt Long Range on JK Bar
TMS Aluminum Roof Rack Cross Bars
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM
mrbeal
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norwell
Posts: 87
What kind of hill? When you say it smells like brakes burning the first thing I thought of was you being off road and the brakes were pulsing to keep traction. More info needed for sure...
mrbeal is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome