rear differential gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > rear differential gasket

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
kxeddiexp

rear differential gasket

I was checking under my jeep and noticed a rubbery red thing sticking out of the rear differential case (see pic) I'm assuming the rear differential case was tightened so much that the rubber seal or gasket oozed out.

Should I get this checked out? Don't wanna have the techs open it and cause more problems.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

2014-01-05-17.16.53.jpg

kxeddiexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
kxeddiexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxeddiexp View Post
i was checking under my jeep and noticed a rubbery red thing sticking out of the rear differential case (see pic) i'm assuming the rear differential case was tightened so much that the rubber seal or gasket oozed out.

Should i get this checked out? Don't wanna have the techs open it and cause more problems.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

2014-01-05-17.16.53.jpg
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Sealer squeezed out is all nothing to worry about
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
kxeddiexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Sealer squeezed out is all nothing to worry about
Cool. That's what I thought but never noticed it before. I always check under the jeep and this is the first time I saw it. It definitely happened recently. And I have no idea how if I never touched touched the case. ??

Thanks.
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:38 AM   #5
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

How many miles on it?
I did my rear differential fluid last year, but can't remember what color it was when I scraped the old stuff off.
That is definitely the color of the stuff I used this time.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
kxeddiexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
How many miles on it?
I did my rear differential fluid last year, but can't remember what color it was when I scraped the old stuff off.
That is definitely the color of the stuff I used this time.
Just hit 32k. I know that's the seal. But just don't know how it happened when I never saw it there before. Never been touched.
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

You just never noticed it before is the thing. There is no way that it suddenly appears . Its just when they installed the cover what got pushed out.
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
kxeddiexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
You just never noticed it before is the thing. There is no way that it suddenly appears . Its just when they installed the cover what got pushed out.
Yea I guess it has to be. Just so weird that I never Noticed since I look down there all the time. Either way thanks for the heads up
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #9
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It actually happened when the axle was built. It was then painted semi gloss black. The paint finally flaked off revealing the orange RTV,
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.