post #1 of Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
bwsooner6
2008 KK Liberty 

Rear Cargo side panel removal

I have tried searching this on this site and lost jeeps with no luck, can someone please tell me how to remove the rear side panels in the very back both drivers and passengers side?

Blacked out
265/70R16 Terra Trac's
Headlight Mod
At The Helm Roof Rack & Front Recovery System
post #2 of Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 PM
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

A trim stick helps, but a big screwdriver works too. Pull down and carefully remove the plastic center trim just inside your tailgate on the ceiling. It is held up by several metal clips, and has plastic tabs on the left and right sides. (These metal clips are what you're dealing with holding most panels in the jeep in place.) Then, once the center trim piece is off, you can pull the side panels in, beginning at the top. The clips will disengage from the wall with a little tug, and you can get halfway down before you realize you have a screw to remove. You will need a torx bit, as I remember, to remove the screws attaching the black metal gear anchors that are just inside the gate opening to the interior wall. Once these are out, the rest of the panel pops off easily.

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
post #3 of Old 11-15-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
bwsooner6
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks, I got the order you mentioned and the t20 screw but could never get it to release above the wheel area. Probably just needed to pry harder but I got nervouse, I'll try again tomorrow

"if it's on the internet, it must be true" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Blacked out
265/70R16 Terra Trac's
Headlight Mod
At The Helm Roof Rack & Front Recovery System
post #4 of Old 12-16-2014, 08:25 AM
chex96
2008 KK Liberty 

just wondering if you ever completed this project, i plan taking the panels out today and wonder if you have any pictures to show or any other information to provide. thanks!
post #5 of Old 12-20-2014, 05:26 PM
orionsbelt77

Not only do I want to know if you are successful, but what exactly did you intend to do once the panels were removed? That, and as I have found out the hard way, that once things are taken apart, they never seem to want to go back together again exactly as they were..........and I hate that when that happens.
post #6 of Old 12-21-2014, 09:58 AM
chex96
2008 KK Liberty 

I wanted to see how much more cubic volume i would have in the trunk area if I took the cargo panels out. Intentions were for building an audio subwoofer system in the trunk. Anyways I tried taking them out and those plastic clips suck! You are right they are very hard to put back together. Ended up unintentionally breaking one completely off cuz it wouldn't fit back into its slot. Also couldn't get the side panels off on either side because they run right next to the rear seats. So it looks like in order to completely remove those you have to to take the rear seats out as well to get those last few fasteners.