Rear cargo area cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Rear cargo area cover

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
otlip

Rear cargo area cover

My sons dog decided to explore my 08 rear cargo area while the cover was secured. When I got back to the car the plastic cover was unwound from the roller mechanism. Has anyone ever re-attached the cover to the roller and if so how do you get the ends off of the metal frame to attach re-attach the cover.

Any helpful hits would be appreciated.

Rich

otlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
otlip

Well I called jeep and was told it cannot be repaired and must purchase a new one Rear Cargo Cover). Decided to attempt a repair and walla it's fixed. Remove metal assembly from car. You'll need a flashlight and a strong slender piece of metal. Depress side inward slightly, insert (i used scissors) thin narrow piece of metal into the slot on the side. There is a small plastic tab which you slide it over so that it clears the small retention piece of metal; pull on end piece and will it pop off. Re attach the cover to the round metal bar. Replace the end cap opposite the one with the spring. Once that is on pull black plastic up from long rectangular tube and rewind it counter-clockwise until very tight. Put black plastic back into tube and replace end cap.

It is very similar to a shade and rewinding it so that it has tension on spring.

Always attempt to fix something if the dealer says it has to be replaced; you have nothing to loose ---- except money
otlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

If it breaks again, let me know and I will sell you mine for less than the dealership.
fosterjd79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Nellie429

I want to echo that this is very easy to fix...did it in 15 minutes! I would only caution to be very careful removing the end caps...the springs are pretty tight and we had a rod shooting across the hall. We used silver hvac tape or gaffer's tape to secure it back on. Duck tape can get gooey in the heat.
Nellie429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
JeepGeezer
2012 KK Liberty 

See, if you had bought a Wrangler or Wrangler Unltd, you wouldn't have a problem with rear cargo cover, because they don't have rear cargo covers!

AFAIK, there isn't even an aftermarket cargo area cover for Wrangler/Unlimited, unless you count things like "Add-A-Funk". Here's yet another advantage with Libertys! Why add obvious temptation to passersby with an uncovered cargo area?

Glad to learn there is a reasonable-cost fix to KK cargo area covers that come loose!
JeepGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.