Rear camera installation question..care to help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Rear camera installation question..care to help?

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Rear camera installation question..care to help?

OK, so I tinted my windows a nice dark limo tint.....and it is dark, dark, dark!!
Which for me is find as I use my side mirrors more than the rearview mirror. However since at some point I know someones else (IE: the spouse) will at some point drive the KK and be in a position to back up I purchased a small rear view camera set up for the KK. It is one of those little basic set ups where the camera is mounted to a frame that is to be attached to the license plate mounting points. So I need to run the wires from the license plate bracket into the KK. I read an earlier post about removal of the hatch back interior plastics being removed with the removal of two screw and then start pulling. My question is for anyone who may have been on the inside of the panel. How do you loosen the exterior license plate light trim so that I may run the wire from the exterior to the interior?
Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill and it will all look simple after pulling the interior panel off of the rear gate?
The system I purchased is a wireless unit, which is a joke seeing how much wire came in the wire harness going to the wireless transmitter.

Unread 05-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
VegasDragger45
2010 KK Liberty 

There is 2 10 mm bolts you take off once removed you have to push in 2 white plastic tabs then it falls off. I have pics of it at home I will post later tonight if I can.
2010 KK, 2" Daystar lift, 245/75/16 BFG All-Terrains, interior LED's, front rear and cargo liner weather tech's, Pioneer AVH-p4400BT, GEX-P920XM, Kicker 6" in front 5 1/4" in rear, PB 2.75" in dash, Kicker 300.1 amp, Pioneer TS-SWX310, JK light bar with Hella 500 ff and 100w bulb, BOYO rear view camera, JBA exhaust, K&N drop in filter and more to come.
VegasDragger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I would appreciate it if you can post it for me,
Thanks
Unread 05-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
VegasDragger45
2010 KK Liberty 

Here are a few pics of the bolts. I thought i had one of the clips but i cant find it. You'll see them with it off they are white. I included a few of what the door looks like with the panel off and how I routed the wires. If you need more pics I can take some tomorrow as im doing a lot of work to the jeep all day.

2010 KK, 2" Daystar lift, 245/75/16 BFG All-Terrains, interior LED's, front rear and cargo liner weather tech's, Pioneer AVH-p4400BT, GEX-P920XM, Kicker 6" in front 5 1/4" in rear, PB 2.75" in dash, Kicker 300.1 amp, Pioneer TS-SWX310, JK light bar with Hella 500 ff and 100w bulb, BOYO rear view camera, JBA exhaust, K&N drop in filter and more to come.
Unread 05-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Thank you, this is greatly appreicated.
Not to change the subject, but why did you change the tip on your JBA exhaust and does it sound any different with the turn down?
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
VegasDragger45
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen
Thank you, this is greatly appreicated.
Not to change the subject, but why did you change the tip on your JBA exhaust and does it sound any different with the turn down?
I hate chrome. I tried to get used to it but I couldn't. It sounds the same which I was alittle worried about it getting louder. Personally I love the exhaust and I feel a better throttle response now.
Unread 05-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

When you hooked your rear camera up, did you wire in to the reverse lights in the tail light house or did you drop below and use the trailer lights? I'm trying to choose which way to go. If I drop below at the trailer light plug I can tap it easy and use the trailer hitch as a good grounding point.

I can see where you wouldn't like the stainless on your color scheme..the white and black look good together and I bet that stainless stuck out like a sore thumb.
Unread 05-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
VegasDragger45
2010 KK Liberty 

I used the tail wiring. All the wires were already inside the cab so I didn't want to run it back out. The reverse is white with a green stripe. I grounded mine on the bolts that you remove to install. It works great and one less wire to route. It stood out like it was the only thing on the jeep lol hooping to get rid of the heads soon for some color matched ones. I did like that the tip had JBA on it do it's hanging in my garage now
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Got it done, finished and it works....of course when I turned it on for the first time the video showed everything upside down....minor details!!
VegasDragger45: I couldn't have done this without your assistance....Thank you so very much....You are the KK Man!!!
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
VegasDragger45
2010 KK Liberty 

No problem I'm glad I could help. If you ever have questions let me know I've had every piece of this jeep apart for something.
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #11
mayadog
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasDragger45 View Post
There is 2 10 mm bolts you take off once removed you have to push in 2 white plastic tabs then it falls off. I have pics of it at home I will post later tonight if I can.

How do you get the 2 white plastic tabs off? I have run into this issue twice now. I thought a needle nose plier would do the trick but no.

Thanks!
mayadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
MtBJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayadog
How do you get the 2 white plastic tabs off? I have run into this issue twice now. I thought a needle nose plier would do the trick but no. Thanks!
Needle nose pliers are it. Squeeze the tabs together and push one side in. It may take a few tries but it will stay in. Once it stays, simply pop the other side in. Then repeat.
MtBJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
mayadog
2010 KK Liberty 

Just finished installing my lights in the back. I installed two LED lights on either side of the license plate because my back tint is so dark that I can't see at night and I get nervous. Anyway, that black exterior piece is a PAIN to get off. I could only get one of the white plastic screws out (I had to squeeze it and push it up really hard) so I just ran the wires through the one side. It worked out I suppose.
mayadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.