Rattling on driver side door - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Rattling on driver side door

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Rattling on driver side door

Right now I only have the stock speakers in my liberty right now and there is a rattling when I turn the bass a couple notches up or if i turn my volume pretty high. When I press on the plastic area above the door handle, it goes away. Does anyone else experience this and know how to get rid of it? It's not a huge issue, but I'm considering some aftermarket speakers/sub soon and if it rattles with the stock ones, I'm assuming it's going to be much worse with an aftermarket setup with a lot more kick.

dtbingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
scorpionarmor55
2010 KK Liberty 

I recently noticed the same. Took off all the door Panels and glued down the edges of that insulation inside and it was good to go.
scorpionarmor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
VegasDragger45
2010 KK Liberty 

I had the same issue and it was from the bass coming into the door speakers and making stuff rattle. Once I changed out all the speakers and added a sub i took all bass out of the doors and it solved my issue and saved me time tracking down the noise. If you change your speakers it should do the same for you.
2010 KK, 2" Daystar lift, 245/75/16 BFG All-Terrains, interior LED's, front rear and cargo liner weather tech's, Pioneer AVH-p4400BT, GEX-P920XM, Kicker 6" in front 5 1/4" in rear, PB 2.75" in dash, Kicker 300.1 amp, Pioneer TS-SWX310, JK light bar with Hella 500 ff and 100w bulb, BOYO rear view camera, JBA exhaust, K&N drop in filter and more to come.
VegasDragger45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Hmmm guess I HAVE to change/upgrade all my speakers and add a sub then. One more reason to put aftermarket audio equipment in lol. If it still happens afterwards I'll look to glue that insulation. Thanks
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

ok finally tired of the rattle, then I starting geting a horrible creaking noise when I rested my elbow on the driver's door armrest.

Popped the door panel off and applied stick-on felt pieces to every single place the door panel attaches to the door (which is plastic on plastic) --- there's about 10 different places.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Driver's door is as quiet as a mouse --- no creaks or rattles from bass!! Now for the passenger side!!
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
ok finally tired of the rattle, then I starting geting a horrible creaking noise when I rested my elbow on the driver's door armrest.

Popped the door panel off and applied stick-on felt pieces to every single place the door panel attaches to the door (which is plastic on plastic) --- there's about 10 different places.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Driver's door is as quiet as a mouse --- no creaks or rattles from bass!! Now for the passenger side!!
Where can those stick on felt pieces be found?
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt View Post
Where can those stick on felt pieces be found?
walmart has them....the light duty...not the thick pads.

it is NOT the thick type like this ---
Unread 06-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

Also, there's a pretty thick paper covering the speakers in the front doors....I removed this; I figured it might let more treble come thru altho I noticed little to no difference afterwards. It also might be part of the rattling issue with bass (vibrating against the outer door panel??).

I'm doing the pass side door now.
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

I've been driving with my windows down almost all the time because of the nice summer weather, but considering it rained decent tonight, the windows were up. It was noticeably worse with them up rather than down. Is there any chance you could get a picture of where you're putting those felt pieces on?
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

does that fix the big rattles from the infinity stereo system ?
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclezmarinara View Post
does that fix the big rattles from the infinity stereo system ?
I just have the base system and it fixed all mine...very happy camper now. I applied some extra felt pieces around the door speaker (there's some really flimsy foam all around the speaker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbingle View Post
Is there any chance you could get a picture of where you're putting those felt pieces on?
once you pop the outer door panel off you will see about 10 tabs that slide onto the inner door panel...anywhere these contact one another is a possible rattle/creak/squeak point....I guess you could put 100 of those pieces to be safe
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell

well it fixed all mine.
I shall try it
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Bought some of that light duty stick on felt stuff and finally got around to doing it. Fixed the passenger side right up and I thought I had done the driver side the exact same, but apparently not because still getting that rattling sound. After try number two, still couldn't get the dang driver side door to stop. Tomorrow I'm going at it again and this time the inside of the door is getting coated in felt...hope it works!
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbingle View Post
Bought some of that light duty stick on felt stuff and finally got around to doing it. Fixed the passenger side right up and I thought I had done the driver side the exact same, but apparently not because still getting that rattling sound. After try number two, still couldn't get the dang driver side door to stop. Tomorrow I'm going at it again and this time the inside of the door is getting coated in felt...hope it works!
more the better!!!

also cut some of the pieces and stick on top of the flimsy foam thats around the door speakers....I stuck about 4 pieces on there.

if you still have the stock speakers, get rid of that paper coating.
Unread 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
more the better!!!

also cut some of the pieces and stick on top of the flimsy foam thats around the door speakers....I stuck about 4 pieces on there.

if you still have the stock speakers, get rid of that paper coating.
I will try this next! It definitely seems to be rattling somewhere behind the small panel surrounding the door handle so I'll start there!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.