Rainstorms leak into driver side carpet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Rainstorms leak into driver side carpet

10,500 Lb Winch Rugged Ridge1987-1990 Jeep Wrangler Engine Oil Pan for L6 4.2LBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 07-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
TKP
2011 KK Liberty 

Rainstorms leak into driver side carpet

My 2011 sport KK leaks into the driver side during rainstorms. I took it to the dealer for this issue as my jeep was still under warranty. They were never able to find the source of the leak (although they did try hard...it seemed). I think I have finally pinpointed where the leak is coming from during a recent rainstorm and thanks to some mold that starting growing from the moisture, but my KK is now out of bumper-to-bumper warranty. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

The leak seems to be coming from under the plastic threshold on the left side of the driver side (if sitting in the seat) or from where the driver seat is mounted. I didn't notice it before since the moisture stayed under my floor mat. However it lets enough water in to travel to the back seat carpets, and soak anything that may be stored there--this is where I originally thought the leak was coming from. But, thanks to some mold and my floor mats, it appears that the source is somewhere on the left side of the driver side.

Its not a big problem as it's only been noticeable during rainstorms (haven't noticed it during any snow/snow melt nor car washes, and it seems to only happen while driving. Not sure whether I should pursue a fix or how I would even begin to fix the problem. Although, the recent mold growth is more worrisome.

Any insight, tips are appreciated. I've been scratching my head at this for a while.

TKP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
griff02
2008 KK Liberty 

This is just a thought, but is it possible the water could be traveling down the roof pillar to the threshold area? I've heard of some issues with the roof rail mounting points leaking, but it seems that normally shows up with a wet headliner, but you never know with water, it travels in strange ways. Someone that has had that issue might be able to share more.
griff02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm assuming you looked at the obvious stuff like door seals in this area. Not sure if it's your problem, but think about looking at the roof seam where the rails are mounted. The Liberty is raked and any water that gets in through this roof seem or mounting hardware can run along the roof side rail toward the A-pillar by the dash. Look at the photos in my roof rack thread and you'll see how this can happen. Also make sure the top of your windshield is free of debris. Mine was plugged on both sides by seam sealer on the roof seam. You'll see what I mean by looking my photos. Here's the link
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...rails-3150209/

You could take the plastic off the A-pillar and maybe find evidence of a leak. You also could run a garden hose over the windshield and roof on that side. The leak could be anywhere along the entire length of the roof and still run toward the pillar. Something to think about in your search.

Also if you have a roof rack and cranked down some ratchet straps on them it's possible to create a leak. The whole roof rack system is not very sturdy. Plastic end brackets and nuts. Small studs sticking up from the roof and not so good looking sealer. You'll see in the photos.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Just keep in mind that gravity still works on water, the leak has to come from higher up.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #5
TKP
2011 KK Liberty 

All good ideas! This may be why the dealer was never able to pin-point the leak, and I consistently see it while it rains, but not during snow-melt. Must be coming from the top-down. (Coincidentally, perhaps this why my power mirrors stopped working? Maybe water is travelling somewhere is shouldn't?....but that's for another thread.) I don't have a roof rack, and last I looked the door seals seemed good. But I will more thoroughly examine the superficial and then dig into the interior. Will update.

As I take the plastic off the A-pillar and other areas, do I risk damaging them? (Silly question, I know, but I am clearly a newb at auto DIY. I assuming they are held by clips that need a little prying but will pop out? Any quick tips?)

Also should I been concerned about the carpeting? No smells or anything coming from them (thank you dry climate!), but I am worried about degradation of any natural fibers.

Thanks for the input!
TKP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #6
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The A-pillar has clips. You pull on it to pop them loose. It seems like it will break, luckily mine didn't. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the trim off by the door and lift the carpet a little. Dry it with a fan. Leave the carpet accessible until you get the leak fixed then put it back together. I'm sure the carpet padding is holding water. Likely will take a long time to dry and start to mold in a hot vehicle. If it stays wet your floors will eventually rust from the inside out. This happened to my old Cherokee.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.