Racks and trailers pics,please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Racks and trailers pics,please!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Anderson75
2010 KK Liberty 

Racks and trailers pics,please!

I'm planning to hand build my overhead rails, rack and fab out a trailer as well. Anyone else done this? I really like the pikespeak trailers and plan on basing my design loosely on their builds, just for a lot less money! For the rails, was thinking of 2" tubing side rails with a similar size rack welded to them. I see no reason to have a removable rack on a truck with such limited cargo space. Anyone have pics of builds you've done? Would really like some good ideas to choose from.

Anderson75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
Anderson75
2010 KK Liberty 

Since noone else has any pice, this is my finished product. Wish I had taken pics during the build.
2011-07-27_17.22.28-1-.jpg  
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Did you build this from scratch or start with a commerical based frame? I think on the front rack area I would either run another rail around the perimeter or expanded metal to allowing storage of smaller items with out any worry of it falling out.
It looks like the rear cover is padded..is it? Is it hinged to flip forward?
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Anderson75
2010 KK Liberty 

The original frame was a 4x6 tilt bed that was modified. For some reason we thought it would be easier to modify than start from scratch, proved quite difficult in the end. We raised the sides to 24" and beveled the boards to maintain a water tight seal. The front basket was supposed to have expanding metal wrapping it, but I ran out of time. The lid lifts to open and the tailgate falls flush with the bed for loading . All of the metal and the top lid is Herculined for weather proofing. Total of about 50 hrs in it plus original cost. I now realize why Pikes Peak charges so much for theirs. When I have time I'll post more pics of the detail work that took so much time and effort.
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Anderson75
2010 KK Liberty 

BTW, all work was done at ABS Welding of Columbia, MS. Not sure they'll ever build another one, but I'm tight with the owner.
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Anderson75
2010 KK Liberty 

Kinda hard not to show off a group like this! My pride and joy! Think the wife would kill me for it, though.
2011-07-29_07.10.35-1-.jpg  
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Great picture! Hope you have a great summer.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Nice looking family there, you should be proud.
Unread 08-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
08KKJeepGrn
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson75 View Post
Kinda hard not to show off a group like this! My pride and joy! Think the wife would kill me for it, though.
It's a Jeep thing, She wouldn't understand
Soon to come: '13/'14 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
08KKJeepGrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
smizar
2008 JK Wrangler 

Trailer looks great
smizar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
Anderson75
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the compliments, guys. That trailer was a ton of work, sweat and a little blood...
I would recommend everyone try a custom project some time, gives a new appreciation for the fabricators out there. Mad props to my Dad and his hands at ABS Welding for assisting me put it together!
As for my beautiful family, I'm just blessed beyond words can say. My wife allowed me to drive the Libby all the way to MS from NJ to pull that trailer back home. Quite a trip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.