Question on wheel spin while in auto 4x4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Question on wheel spin while in auto 4x4

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
gotjep
2012 KK Liberty 

Question on wheel spin while in auto 4x4

In the snow, mud , wet grass my tires spin alot before the jeep gains momentum almost like im stuck. The abs is pumping its butt off and the jeep is not moving fast. If I stay into the gas it will eventualy gain speed then Im ok. I feel like it should not take so long to get going. Is there something wrong or is this normal? thanks

gotjep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

It's normal. That's your brake lock differential in action
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
gotjep
2012 KK Liberty 

thanks for the input. If I go off road in mud , grass etc. should I just go ahead and put it in low range ? Only thing I would have to stay 25mph or less. . I wonder if the jeep wrangler works the same in auto 4x4 ?
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjep View Post
thanks for the input. If I go off road in mud , grass etc. should I just go ahead and put it in low range ? Only thing I would have to stay 25mph or less. . I wonder if the jeep wrangler works the same in auto 4x4 ?
No you shouldn't need to be in 4 low. Also, yes the JK and JKU have brake lock differential but there are several different 4x4 systems that Jeep uses so your last question is kind of vague
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
heiliges
2012 KK Liberty 

yeah basically, give it more gas at a slow increase until traction is gained. Don't jam on the gas, just increase it slowly till your moving forward again. What that does is increase power to the wheels while the BLD stops the ones that spin too fast. It will put more power to the wheels that still have grip and once enough power is reached to move the vehicle, it will begin to move forward faster until all tires are spinning or your out. Understand that the wheels with grip are pulling or pushing a lot more than if all had grip so they might lose traction if too much power is given to them. Remember that slow forward momentum is better than no momentum. Slow increase on the gas until your moving forward and then stay there. Let the bells and whistles go crazy, teach yourself its a good thing. I find I rarely go in low anymore, haven't needed to and don't want to lose the BLD. Don't forget you can also drop into 1st and 2nd gears if needed for additional get up and go. I have gone through mud holes in 4 high when wranglers were scared to go. Remember to try to stay on the high side ... we libertys get high centered very easily, it all about the right line for us.
heiliges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
gotjep
2012 KK Liberty 

thanks guys for the input. I was trying to go up a pretty good step hill the other day with wet grass and such and it would not go up all the way in 4 high. had to back down and put it in low and it crawled right up and did not spin a bit. guess thats what makes it trail rated. lol
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Tires,lockers,and use 4low,problem cured.
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Does the BLD make a horrible noise while in effect? every time I get into a nice mud hole or slippery slope I feel like I have ripped apart every tooth in my diff with the sound it makes
TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIJKK1220 View Post
Does the BLD make a horrible noise while in effect? every time I get into a nice mud hole or slippery slope I feel like I have ripped apart every tooth in my diff with the sound it makes
Yeah, that grinding noise is your ABS stopping the wheel spin on the wheel with less traction
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
Yeah, that grinding noise is your ABS stopping the wheel spin on the wheel with less traction
Thanks. makes me feel better about it lol
TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.