Possible Catalytic Converter or Transmission problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Possible Catalytic Converter or Transmission problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!TJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 03-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Blayton
2009 KK Liberty 

Possible Catalytic Converter or Transmission problem

I have a 2009 Jeep Liberty and I think there may be a problem with the catalytic converters and/or the transmission. The check engine light is on. I have had the OBD scanned and the only thing found was a bad catalyst. Sometimes, going up hills at around 50 and accelerating, it sounds like it's trying to downshift, and the car shakes. I have to kind of pump the gas if you will, to get in to the lower gear to accelerate. Today, the check engine light began flashing and the car started beeping (same sound as if you had no seat belt on). I noticed it did it more when I accelerated. The light would flash for a bit, then stop, off and on. I am planning on getting the bad catalytic converter(s) replaced soon. I do think it is an issue with the transmission aswell, but am not too sure. Any opinions? If I need to clarify anything, please ask.

Blayton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

If you get the Jeep scanned, get us the codes listed.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
Gemdog
2010 KK Liberty 

The Key trick works on the KK to get the codes, follow this vid and tell us which codes you got back.
(Regardless of having an EVIC, it will come up in the odometer)

I usually film the odometer when doing it, as if there is more than one code it will scroll through them.
If the light isn't on anymore, it may not report historical codes, at which point you'll need a scanner to get to the freeze data on the ecu.

It will come up something like this:
Gemdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 05:13 AM   #4
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

the trans is trying to make the truck go foward but the engine has no power because the cat is blocked.fix the cat and the trans should be ok.do not keep on driving if the light is flashing or expect extra $$$$ to fix extra problems if you do.
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 05:38 AM   #5
bigpopi79

I had a similar problem. Mine would feel like it falls on its face almost like a miss. I had the bank two cat efficiency code got a new cat put on changed plugs and got a fuel system cleaner and runs good now
bigpopi79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 05:39 AM   #6
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

The cat problem is a symptom, not the cause. There is an issue with your engine dumping raw fuel into the exhaust, which in turn, will melt your cats. The cats should last a really long time. The check engine light blinking is your warning to turn off the car immediately.

Pull your plugs and see which one doesn't look like the others. That's how you might find your problem cylinder. While you're at it, when was the last time you changed the plugs? These engines require simple, cheap copper plugs every 30k miles.
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
The cat problem is a symptom, not the cause. There is an issue with your engine dumping raw fuel into the exhaust, which in turn, will melt your cats. The cats should last a really long time. The check engine light blinking is your warning to turn off the car immediately.

Pull your plugs and see which one doesn't look like the others. That's how you might find your problem cylinder. While you're at it, when was the last time you changed the plugs? These engines require simple, cheap copper plugs every 30k miles.
Give this man an award! What he just said is spot on. Cats do not just melt down and plug up.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.