Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Please Help!

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Gageraid 
#1 ·
Last year, I graduated from undergrad and as a present, my parents took me shopping for my first car. They know infinitely more about cars than I do, so it was great to have them to help make a decision--I was going to be paying for the thing for five years at least so it had to be a smart investment right? I ended up with a used 2009 Jeep Liberty--the sport--and liked it well enough until I started having problems with it about 7 months in. It came with about 94k miles on it--I know that probably should have been my first clue--and I was the second owner. First the tire light came on. Once I realized what it meant, I got them all checked and filled with air. Two weeks later one of the wheels gave out on the highway. I put the spare (full sized) in and left it at that until I realized the low air light wouldn't go away. Checked it out again and was told that one of my sensors had broken. Joy. I bought a new sensor (expensive), managed to find the super special mid sized truck tire the dealership had installed on my car at the only place in the world that sold it (not kidding) and had everything put together. It was around this time that my car started having what felt like suspension issues. It couldn't turn properly without an ominous careening feeling paired with a terrifying creaking (read: only wide turns possible), and when ever I came to a stop it would roll back, then jump forward, then drive forward. The man who replaced my tires was rather alarmed and told me to take it to the dealership. By the time I did a few days later, I'd had the harrowing experience of driving on the highway unable to maintain 40 or even 30mph despite my gas pedal literally being pressed to the ground (the engine light went on this point). I called the dealership, they told me it was a power issue (also expensive) and fixed it up. Two weeks later my engine light was still on and I took it back to the dealership...only to be told that my transmission was done. I took the car to two other places to confirm. It has been a few months since then--I've been trying to find a transmission/mechanic I can afford after that gauntlet of expenses--Chrysler has refused to provide any assistance and I've cut ties with the dealership after it became evident they were being less than honest (charitable assessment). I have no idea what to do; I'm still making payments on the car and at this point I just want to trade it in and get rid of it for another, more fuel efficient option. But I would be slightly upside down on my loan (maybe 4K+). So that's my long winded dilemma. To keep or not to keep? And if the former, new or used transmission?
Thanks for your time!
Shril

See less See more
#2 ·
Shrilaraune said:
Last year, I graduated from undergrad and as a present, my parents took me shopping for my first car. They know infinitely more about cars than I do, so it was great to have them to help make a decision--I was going to be paying for the thing for five years at least so it had to be a smart investment right? I ended up with a used 2009 Jeep Liberty--the sport--and liked it well enough until I started having problems with it about 7 months in. It came with about 94k miles on it--I know that probably should have been my first clue--and I was the second owner. First the tire light came on. Once I realized what it meant, I got them all checked and filled with air. Two weeks later one of the wheels gave out on the highway. I put the spare (full sized) in and left it at that until I realized the low air light wouldn't go away. Checked it out again and was told that one of my sensors had broken. Joy. I bought a new sensor (expensive), managed to find the super special mid sized truck tire the dealership had installed on my car at the only place in the world that sold it (not kidding) and had everything put together. It was around this time that my car started having what felt like suspension issues. It couldn't turn properly without an ominous careening feeling paired with a terrifying creaking (read: only wide turns possible), and when ever I came to a stop it would roll back, then jump forward, then drive forward. The man who replaced my tires was rather alarmed and told me to take it to the dealership. By the time I did a few days later, I'd had the harrowing experience of driving on the highway unable to maintain 40 or even 30mph despite my gas pedal literally being pressed to the ground (the engine light went on this point). I called the dealership, they told me it was a power issue (also expensive) and fixed it up. Two weeks later my engine light was still on and I took it back to the dealership...only to be told that my transmission was done. I took the car to two other places to confirm. It has been a few months since then--I've been trying to find a transmission/mechanic I can afford after that gauntlet of expenses--Chrysler has refused to provide any assistance and I've cut ties with the dealership after it became evident they were being less than honest (charitable assessment). I have no idea what to do; I'm still making payments on the car and at this point I just want to trade it in and get rid of it for another, more fuel efficient option. But I would be slightly upside down on my loan (maybe 4K+). So that's my long winded dilemma. To keep or not to keep? And if the former, new or used transmission?
Thanks for your time!
Shril
Are you protected by a lemon law?

I love my Liberty. I have had no problems with mine. Fix it and keep it.

Another option is to look at your insurance deductible. It's a sad thing when your Jeep gets destroyed falling into a ravine while camping.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#3 ·
It definitely sounds like a "lemon" and check into that law, but be aware that your window has probably expired to benefit from it. Worth a try, though! Have you already had it evaluated as a trade-in? I don't mean the KBB or NADA you do yourself, I mean at a dealership...probably not the one you have been using lol I wouldn't suggest putting it into a ravine. The insurance will most likely pay actual cash value, which is probably less thank you owe (unless you have GAP coverage, unlikely, though for an older jeep).

#5 ·
The ravine part was meant as a joke. Please don't take that seriously. Insurance fraud is a crime.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#6 ·
I know that but you never know who would take it seriously? Just pointing out why it's a bad idea, in case the joke wasn't obvious LOL. Insurance fraud is a crime...I work in insurance, I know.

#7 ·
Yeah, we in SIU like to ask questions about recent work performed when it comes to losses like that :)

Onto your issue. If you choose to try and trade, you'd be surprised what a dealer can do with numbers to try and work a deal for trade. I was upside down in my previous loan but still made a deal work to get my KK.

#8 ·
98ZJ SFD said:
Yeah, we in SIU like to ask questions about recent work performed when it comes to losses like that :)

Onto your issue. If you choose to try and trade, you'd be surprised what a dealer can do with numbers to try and work a deal for trade. I was upside down in my previous loan but still made a deal work to get my KK.
Same here...if they want your business, they'll deal.

#9 ·
Wow, Thank you for all the quick responses! I think the lemon law here only covers new cars--used cars are bought "as is." I certainly am not considering insurance fraud so no worries! I haven't had the car appraised by a dealership yet because I was concerned I would need to get the transmission issue fixed first to get anything reasonable for it. I can't really afford to pay more than I am on my monthly payments either. What are the chances of avoiding a hike in my monthly payments? Would I definitely have to replace the transmission do have a chance? One dealership I've spoken to said that he would not resell my car--meaning, I think, that he would use it for parts--he went on to say that it was good I was bringing the car in before it hit 100k. Is there something to that last bit? This whole situation seems rather impossible to me. If I get a transmission replacement instead...should I go used or new? A mechanic patient of a family member (read: this patient is a mechanic) mentioned finding a transmission in a junk yard (yikes?)...

Gageraid, the dealership did not offer me the actual code--they were rather vague saying something about an internal murmur--but I suppose I could ask one of the other people I had check the car out. One of them did mention that transmission failure was what the trouble code indicated (weird seeing as the dealership should then have picked up on it during one of the many times I took it to them before...) so I could get that info from them...but what would I do with it?

The support from you guys is amazing--seriously. It almost feels like no one has been willing to help me on this!

#10 ·
You could see what they'd offer you for the Jeep as-is with the transmission for a trade. Then ask how much they'd give you if it was fixed and see if the difference in the trade is worth the cost of putting a used transmission in it. If you need to keep your payments where they are now, you'd probably be looking at an older vehicle to finance since you'd have to roll over the balance of your loan. Then you have to ask yourself if you want to finance an older vehicle where you could also have some "serious" problems if its higher mileage. Maybe you wouldn't have any issues. Tough to say.

#11 ·
Well a 3 year old vehicle(at the time you bought it) with 94K on it means it's a 95% chance it was a fleet vehicle/company owned vehicle(not a rental) and those accounts do not pay for any scheduled maintenance let alone barely doing oil changes but maybe every 10k in most cases.Like other dealers they most likely picked it up from a auction for pennies on the dollar and turned a good profit.

Always run away from high mileage vehicles that are 2-5 years old without full maintenance records and proof it was a personal vehicle and not a company vehicle.

#12 ·
Well a 3 year old vehicle(at the time you bought it) with 94K on it means it's a 95% chance it was a fleet vehicle/company owned vehicle(not a rental) and those accounts do not pay for any scheduled maintenance let alone barely doing oil changes but maybe every 10k in most cases.Like other dealers they most likely picked it up from a auction for pennies on the dollar and turned a good profit.

Always run away from high mileage vehicles that are 2-5 years old without full maintenance records and proof it was a personal vehicle and not a company vehicle.
+1

I would have never bought a vehicle that new with those kind of miles on it. Run don't walk

#14 ·
What about the lifetime power train warranty? Doe that apply or is it only for the original owner?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.