plasti dip rocks - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > plasti dip rocks

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnKJeep View Post
That's it? or is it easier to take the emblem off? This is our first Jeep so I dont wanna mess anything up
Those emblems are a one time use item since they are very fragile thick vinyl attached with tape.Expensive suckers to,about $250+ for all the emblems on your Jeep.

Unread 10-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnKJeep View Post
That's it? or is it easier to take the emblem off? This is our first Jeep so I dont wanna mess anything up
Yup toothpicks and some patience works wonders I have since painted my side skirts red and left the liberty black. Looks awesome.
TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
VnKJeep
2012 KK Liberty 

Thanks.. I will be painting the rims and emblems on Sunday.. Will post pics after
VnKJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
rloew275
2001 WJ 

Hey guys, jut need a little help, I tried plastidipping all my badges on my WJ the other day. I laid down 6 pretty heavy coats and waited about 20-25 minutes between coats. When I pulled the dip off it didn't desperate around the badges, it just all pulled off in one sheet. I peeled it slowly too, so what am I doing wrong? Too many coats? Too thick? Too much dry time?? Do I need to trace the badges with a toothpick before each coat dries??? I'm about to try again here in a few hours and I want it to work this time.
image.jpg  
rloew275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
VnKJeep
2012 KK Liberty 

When I did mine. I traced w a toothpick before I peeled off. On the sides I used a precision razor also. Hope that helps
image-784484344.jpg   image-1124470035.jpg   image-4065371228.jpg  
Unread 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
MyJKU14
2014 JK Wrangler 

Where have you guys bought this? I really want to do it to my KK and to my hubby's WJ because we both hate the chrome on our jeeps...
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
AtTheHelm

Most hardware stores carry it, they are using the rattle can version.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
MyJKU14
2014 JK Wrangler 

Cool thanks! Have to head to Ace tomorrow anyways... apparently a nut was cut off on the WJ during the lift process that wasn't supposed to be?
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #24
AtTheHelm

HD and lowes have it for sure if ace doesn't.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #25
MyJKU14
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ace had it! Matte black and it was only $7.99 I have the next two days off so this will keep me busy! I'll try and post some picks.

I'm going to also try and do the gear shifter that has stupid chrome on it... it stands out like a sore thumb inside my jeep...
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
rloew275
2001 WJ 

Looks okay. I wanna redo it though when it's warmer out and I have more time.

image-1193004358.jpg
rloew275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #27
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_Katie View Post
Ace had it! Matte black and it was only $7.99 I have the next two days off so this will keep me busy! I'll try and post some picks.

I'm going to also try and do the gear shifter that has stupid chrome on it... it stands out like a sore thumb inside my jeep...
Home Depot by me only has black but Lowes has white and black, and cheaper, $6.
_benjammin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #28
VnKJeep
2012 KK Liberty 

It works on the gear shifter.
image-623193608.jpg  
Unread 01-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #29
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rloew275 View Post
Hey guys, jut need a little help, I tried plastidipping all my badges on my WJ the other day. I laid down 6 pretty heavy coats and waited about 20-25 minutes between coats. When I pulled the dip off it didn't desperate around the badges, it just all pulled off in one sheet. I peeled it slowly too, so what am I doing wrong? Too many coats? Too thick? Too much dry time?? Do I need to trace the badges with a toothpick before each coat dries??? I'm about to try again here in a few hours and I want it to work this time.
What I think happend is you may have waited to long to pull up the tape you had covering. a good word of advice is to acctually give some space between your emblem and your masking(about and inch or inch and a half) the dip will "cut" from the masking better that way and then just a little clean up with your fingers/toothpick will take off the edges on the dip

another tip is when your pulling off the dip to start at a corner and instead of pulling straight up from the surface pull away from the emblem and follow the outline. The dip should naturally cut itself on the edges of the letters. the places you have to worry about are the insides of the "E"

Hope this helps
Unread 01-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #30
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_Katie View Post
Where have you guys bought this? I really want to do it to my KK and to my hubby's WJ because we both hate the chrome on our jeeps...
I've had the best luck with NAPA autoparts they have a couple other colors as well (red white yellow)

If your looking for other colors however dipyourcar.com is the place to go. they have taken plastidip to a whole new level and have made dozens of one off colors that are amazing!

I couldnt recommend them enough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.