plasti dip rocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > plasti dip rocks

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
jbusmc1986

plasti dip rocks

Plasti dipped both jeep badges and the 4x4 logo over the weekend... the process was very very easy and can be done in less then an hour.

frontlogobig.jpg   backlogo.jpg   4x4.jpg  
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Looks pretty good. I need to try doing something with that.....I just haven't figured out what yet.
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

any reason why you don't just use paint?

can't the plasti dip come right off if some idiot scratches it?
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
collins1888
2009 KK Liberty 

I did the same to my jeep emblem and my 4x4 logo... also did my grille. theres about 4-5 coats on each of them so its deff tough.
collins1888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
jbusmc1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
any reason why you don't just use paint?

can't the plasti dip come right off if some idiot scratches it?
Can't paint just come right off if some idiot scratches it?? I wasn't aware that there was a badge scratching vandal out there.

But in all seriousness... its got 5 coats and is super tough. I did not have to remove the badges or do any prep other then making a tape square around them and at this rate a can of plasti dip could re finish them every week for years if I needed to. However I doubt they would need it any time soon.
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
jbusmc1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Looks pretty good. I need to try doing something with that.....I just haven't figured out what yet.
Try it on anything you want to... As long as you lay down thick coats you can take it right off if you want to.
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

How did you apply it? I was considering removing the badges and rattle-can them black on mine but not sure how to remove them. Looks like they are taped on. That brings into play my not so square eyes when it comes time to re-apply. Taping around the badges seems to be the option but I am not sure I have the dexterity to do that. I am a bit of a knuckle-dragger when it comes to fine motor skills. LOL
Added tow hitch, tow hooks, skid plates, foglight kit and headlight masks, remote start, chrome steps, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/75R16.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/2008-2012-liberty-kk-electrical-parts-1517747/"]Stuff for sale[/URL]
eoerikson3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
jbusmc1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoerikson3 View Post
How did you apply it? I was considering removing the badges and rattle-can them black on mine but not sure how to remove them. Looks like they are taped on. That brings into play my not so square eyes when it comes time to re-apply. Taping around the badges seems to be the option but I am not sure I have the dexterity to do that. I am a bit of a knuckle-dragger when it comes to fine motor skills. LOL
That's the beauty of plasti dip... You don't need to remove anything, just make a big square around the area you want covered with blue painters tape, yes that's right, you WANT to get a bunch on the paint!! Leave an inch of a gap of paint exposed on all sides of the badge that you want to coat. Don't worry about this though.

Apply 4-5 coats trying to cover all of the areas with a good thick coverage, (not 5 thick coats, but building over time) wait about 15-25 min between the coats to allow time to dry. Let it sit for another 30 min and then go out and carefully remove the tape, this should pull the excess plasti dip off of the paint already, if not just rub it with your finger on the edge and pull it back like sunburned skin. The plasti dip will peel off of the paint and the coating will remain on all of the lettering intact.

One can will go a very very long way enjoy my friends
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

your need to clean out the e's....I see the material inside

what about when washing with a sponge? I'm anal about getting the area around the letters clean...the sponge won't catch an edge and lift the plasti dip?

Can you please report back after a few vigorous washes in a few weeks and/or months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoerikson3 View Post
How did you apply it? I was considering removing the badges and rattle-can them black on mine but not sure how to remove them. Looks like they are taped on.
actually, if you leave the vehicle in the sun for an hour or so they should pop right off....when I had a clear bra installed I was shocked when I saw the the installer removing the lettering...he used a hair dryer (it was about 30°F outside at the time)...they came right off and went right back on.
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
jbusmc1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
your need to clean out the e's....I see the material inside

what about when washing with a sponge? I'm anal about getting the area around the letters clean...the sponge won't catch an edge and lift the plasti dip?

Can you please report back after a few vigorous washes in a few weeks and/or months?

actually, if you leave the vehicle in the sun for an hour or so they should pop right off....when I had a clear bra installed I was shocked when I saw the the installer removing the lettering...he used a hair dryer (it was about 30°F outside at the time)...they came right off and went right back on.
yeah those pics were taken right after removing the tape, before the inside of the letters were cleaned out... already done
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

I'm a proud supporter of plasti dip and wish i had known about it sooner when i had my ZJ... i would have painted the whole damn thing with it.

I painted my grill wheels and badges with it. I have taken it through car washes and hit it with pressure washers no problems with it peeling up it's pretty resilient stuff

Another note of it's durability I found a screw embedded in my tire the other day and took it to discount tire to get it patched (didn't feel like bothering with doing it myself) They patched it for free but midway through the process I thought about my tires and the fact that they are dipped I was pissed that I was going to have to peel it all off and repaint the whole damn wheel

They took the tire off the rim to patch it and then threw it on their machine to put it all back together and to my surprise... most of the dip held up through them pulling the old weight off (which i painted over) to slapping another on it put a few rips in it but a few coats of dip over top and its good as new

TL'DR took my dipped rim to a tire shop. It survived tire removal and re-fit with minimal damage and I was able to just touch up the paint.
TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
jbusmc1986

^ haha thats awesome man!
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
VnKJeep
2012 KK Liberty 

How did you get the paint from inside the E's and P?
VnKJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnKJeep View Post
How did you get the paint from inside the E's and P?
Toothpick
TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
VnKJeep
2012 KK Liberty 

That's it? or is it easier to take the emblem off? This is our first Jeep so I dont wanna mess anything up
VnKJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.