JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Plasti Dip Question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/plasti-dip-question-1392180/)

LII3ERTYSP0RT 07-12-2012 11:46 AM

Plasti Dip Question

I am looking into Plasti dipping my bumpers and fender flares. Will Plasti dip damage my paint?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Lehman26 07-12-2012 12:24 PM

No it does not damage paint. Its basically just like a plastic protective layer, you can peel right off whenever your tired of it. The more coats the easier it will be to get off when you do so. I did my rims on my lancer 5 coats..decided to remove it came right off.

LII3ERTYSP0RT 07-12-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lehman26
No it does not damage paint. Its basically just like a plastic protective layer, you can peel right off whenever your tired of it. The more coats the easier it will be to get off when you do so. I did my rims on my lancer 5 coats..decided to remove it came right off.

Thanks bro

Lehman26 07-12-2012 10:05 PM

No problem!

tbeaton 07-15-2012 07:26 PM

no but that stuff is a complete waste of time. it peels off alot easier than i thought. i used it on a few things, gave it 5 coats and it did not hold up at all. i don't know how guys coat thier entire cars with it. i thought it was going to be tougher and more like the rubber found on the handles of tools. maybe the stuff in a can is but the rattle can stuff sucked.

jonrjen 07-16-2012 06:32 AM

It is going to be like any paint process. It needs the proper prep done to the item being painted, which means clean. It is also better if the surface could be lightly deglossed or roughed up to provide a good surface to stick to.

Also keep in mind that every product fits a certain purpose, I'm not sure that "Da Dip" was designed to be used in the enviroment of highway driving conditions cruising at speed of 70 MPH plus. Think of it in the manner of a good paint job on a front bumper would cost you a couple of hundred dollars. A can of Dip around $5...there is a reason for the difference in pricing. Just set your expectations accordingly.

LII3ERTYSP0RT 07-17-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonrjen
It is going to be like any paint process. It needs the proper prep done to the item being painted, which means clean. It is also better if the surface could be lightly deglossed or roughed up to provide a good surface to stick to.

Also keep in mind that every product fits a certain purpose, I'm not sure that "Da Dip" was designed to be used in the enviroment of highway driving conditions cruising at speed of 70 MPH plus. Think of it in the manner of a good paint job on a front bumper would cost you a couple of hundred dollars. A can of Dip around $5...there is a reason for the difference in pricing. Just set your expectations accordingly.

Well said well said.

JeepN4KC 07-17-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonrjen (Post 13873845)

Bingo - great post!

Millitcb 07-17-2012 04:01 PM

Dude ive had my bumper plasti dippl for six months no problem rims for one year two months also no problem plasti dip is great stuff for prep all you need is to clean it no roughing or anything just clean do five coats and that should be fine mine have four coats it wont mess up the paint and it does have a protective feel to it ive driving in horrible rain, 100+ degree heat, and really rocky sandy condictions and its still fine never had to peel and replace. And come on 3 cans for twenty i did my emblems all rims, bumpers and friends emblems and still had some left it never hurts to try if you dont like just peel off and done

LII3ERTYSP0RT 07-17-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millitcb
Dude ive had my bumper plasti dippl for six months no problem rims for one year two months also no problem plasti dip is great stuff for prep all you need is to clean it no roughing or anything just clean do five coats and that should be fine mine have four coats it wont mess up the paint and it does have a protective feel to it ive driving in horrible rain, 100+ degree heat, and really rocky sandy condictions and its still fine never had to peel and replace. And come on 3 cans for twenty i did my emblems all rims, bumpers and friends emblems and still had some left it never hurts to try if you dont like just peel off and done

Same here. I drove on the beach all day Saturday and I Plasti dipped them on Friday and not even a scratch.

E-Rack 07-17-2012 05:04 PM

Have you thought about looking in to www.rhinolinings.com? Get it sprayed on the bottom quarter of your doors and your bumpers. I know a lot go for the plasti dip but ultimately its crap and will peel off. I kind of equate it to the people who put their own window tint on, 95% dont have a clue what they are doing and they end up with bubbles, voids, scratches, tears and misalignments. For a lot less than you might think you can have a pro shoot it on for you.

Just my opinion

Millitcb 07-19-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Rack
Have you thought about looking in to www.rhinolinings.com? Get it sprayed on the bottom quarter of your doors and your bumpers. I know a lot go for the plasti dip but ultimately its crap and will peel off. I kind of equate it to the people who put their own window tint on, 95% dont have a clue what they are doing and they end up with bubbles, voids, scratches, tears and misalignments. For a lot less than you might think you can have a pro shoot it on for you.

Just my opinion

Ok well look at it this way depending on which branf you use its 50+ a gallon plud what the "pro" charges and thats just saying the pro doesnt fk your **** up but with plasti fip it doesnt even matter 6 bucks a can and five or six months down the road you want to change it up just peel away. And pros do.make mistakes

TIJKK1220 07-20-2012 07:34 PM

I've also had my jeep dipped for about 6 months i two toned my wheels and painted all my badges and grill. the dip holds up great to the texas heat and even discount tire changing out a bad tire and hacking away at my rim only managed to put a few small tears in the edge of the dip. for the price and the overall quality I love this product and back it 100% My next project is dipping a kk renegade esque matte red cutout on the hood and dipping my interior

gla215 07-24-2012 07:22 PM

I dipped my wheels and emblems, gonna do the tail lights next. I love this product because if you mess up or don't like the look then you can just easily peel it right off, I would recommend this to anyone.

45williams 07-25-2012 04:39 AM

What brand plastic dip are you guys useing? And are you spraying or brushing you wheels.
Thanks

The time now is 02:50 AM.