Pentastar V6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Pentastar V6

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Pentastar V6

More torque and power is good for any vehicle. Wish it was in my lib, but I am happy with my sohc....

April 2011 Dispatch: Jeep News
Jeep Grand Cherokee's Pentastar V-6 and More
April, 2011 issue of Jp
By Tori Tellem

154_1104_01_o-154_1104_april_2011_dispatch_jeep_news-pentastar_v6.jpg

Coming to a Wrangler near...Coming to a Wrangler near you.April 2011 Dispatch: Jeep News

•The Grand Cherokee's Pentastar V-6 will be available for all 13 vehicles in the Chrysler Group by 2013. The Wrangler looks to be up to bat in 2012.

•Jeep and Alfa Romeo will share real estate at a manufacturing plant in Turin, Italy.

•Plans for a Grand Cherokee-based Maserati SUV are moving forward.

•The Interwebs have named the '11 Grand Cherokee Internet Truck of the Year. The most meaningful award ever.

•Jeep sales were up in October compared to October 2009. How much, you ask? That would be 111 percent

Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Whats so great about the penta star. How much better than the old engine is it?
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastheJeeper View Post
Whats so great about the penta star. How much better than the old engine is it?
Well all those cheap and easy power upgrades will be a thing of the past and not so cheap anymore.No headers for the Penastar as the exhuast manifolds are casted into the cylinder heads.
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

The torque and power output is excellent for a V6 ...... so chrysler put it in the jeep...

3_6_liter_pentastar_graph_01.jpg

The 3.6-liter V-6 engine, part of Chrysler’s $3.6 billion powertrain offensive, is introduced for the first time in the all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The more fuel efficient V-6 engine features 11 percent improved fuel economy, 33 percent improved horsepower, 11 percent improved torque. Environmental-friendly design: lead-free engine, recyclable oil filter element with no-spill removable feature. “The engine team went out and benchmarked the best in V6s – your Toyotas and Hondas. Found all the elements from each of them to come up with the best V6,” said Matt Nyquist, Jeep Product Planning.

“The all-new Pentastar is the most advanced six-cylinder engine Chrysler has ever offered,” said Bob Lee, Vice President—Powertrain Product Team. “This new family of engines uses an architecture conceived with future technology growth and integration in mind.” The all-new 3.6-liter V-6 engine is an all-new design featuring double-overhead camshafts (DOHC) and a high-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block in a 60-degree configuration.

“Our all-new engine delivers better performance and the capability Jeep customers demand.” “Similar to what we did with the HEMI® engine, our engineers used the best combination of design features and technologies to create an engine that satisfies customer requirements”. “The elegantly simple design maximizes the functionality of each design element rather than adding technology to claim a feature. The result gives our customers everything they demand from an engine today—class-leading levels of refinement, fuel-efficiency, performance and cost of ownership.”

The 3.6-liter V-6 engine design features a double-overhead cam (DOHC) and high-flow intake and exhaust ports, which in combination with VVT via dual independent cam phasing, allows optimum volumetric and combustion efficiency over the full speed and load range. This results in an exceptional, flat torque curve along with high specific power. The engine’s torque exceeds 90 percent of its peak value from 1,600 to 6,400 rpm, which provides customers with outstanding drivability and responsiveness.

The all-new 3.6-liter V-6 engine will deliver 290 horsepower (216 kW) at 6,350 rpm and 260 lb.-ft. (353 N•m) of torque at 4,300 rpm, an increase of 38 percent in horsepower and 11 percent in torque over its predecessor, while providing customers up to an 11 percent improvement in fuel economy. The Pentastar V-6 is designed to run on regular gasoline, offering a 10 percent reduction in fuel cost compared with premium fueled engines. The engine also is flex-fuel capable, offering consumers the choice of gasoline or E85 fuel.

An environmental-friendly oil filter system with optional integrated oil cooler is used to help protect the environment via incineration of the filter element. The use of long-life spark plugs and a high-energy coil-on-plug ignition system also helps reduce cost of ownership.

Refinement was a key objective for every component during the design phase of the engine and was achieved by utilizing advanced computer-aided engineering techniques. Structural, intake and exhaust areas of the engine are designed to deliver low levels of overall noise and achieve specific sound quality goals that meet discerning customer requirements. The result is a refined engine in all applications. Idle quality refinement is improved due to use of the dual independent cam phasing.

In developing the Jeep Grand Cherokee’s all-new 3.6L V6 engine, reliability and quality are assured via extensive validation testing. More than 3.3 million customer equivalent miles were accrued on engine dynamometers prior to production. Test severity was increased by 50% versus previous Chrysler V6 engines in order to accommodate high load applications such as trailer-towing.
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
WvTaco
2011 WK 

Its a nice smooth v6. Likes to run to 3'k to shift fora little power. Revs to 6500 rpm and really punches above 4k.

But compared to my sisters kk. The kk has more low end. Maybe cause jeep(wk2) paired it with a tranny that in first gear redlines at 52 mph and 83mph in second.

As long as it is above 1500rpm it feels fine.

It should be in the kk.

Last edited by WvTaco; 05-05-2011 at 08:29 AM..
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

I would take the Pentastar over the 3.7 anyday,here is what Chrysler says:
The Pentastar V-6 engine has more torque than any 2010 Chrysler V6, and has a broad, flat torque curve with 90% of peak torque available between 1800 and 6350 rpm.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
alex725
2009 XK Commander 

^wait, are you saying I can take my Jeep to 52 in 1st gear? I know it will hold out 1st long if I floor it but I didnt think it was that long.
alex725 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Arioch
2011 KK Liberty 

Funny thing on the Wrangler. Look where the Alternator is. Notice it's on the bottom? This is the stock photo. On the Wrangler, the alternator will be up top, but will be reversed to fit in the engine compartment. So, imagine opening the hood and the first thing you see is the alternator is backwards (meaning the pulley is in the back, not the front). They had to do this to make the 31" wet rating. It was funny to see......

I would love to have it in my Liberty.... wayyy better milage.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

^ Oh that sounds hilarious. Can't wait to see it. Heh...
Unread 05-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

X2 this over the 3.7...all day...

Those will be nice in the Wranglers.

Personally I would like to see them bring back the I6, but that's just me..
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Can't bring it back. Crash requirements, emissions, etc. The costs to modernize the old 4.0L would have added up to making an entirely new engine anyway.
Unread 05-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #12
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

The Pent engine as what was said earlier has it's benefits but also it's short comings. I never seen a plastic intake manifold on an engine until I purchased my Liberty. My '06 Nissan had a metal one lol.
Anyways, if I had a choice that was available and costs reasonible. I would prefer to have a Grand Jeep Cherokee's 6 Cylinder 3.0 Liter CRD paired with a 6 speed automatic or manual transmission. By me Diesel costs 5% more then regular, but the Diesel motor would have 35% increase to my MPG and I could tow a house too. Oh well it's nice to dream:]
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
BloodyShadow23
2008 KK Liberty 

How much bigger is the pentastar engine vs the 3.7? If you had the money, would there be enough space for an engine swap?
Unread 05-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
The Pent engine as what was said earlier has it's benefits but also it's short comings. I never seen a plastic intake manifold on an engine until I purchased my Liberty. My '06 Nissan had a metal one lol.
Anyways, if I had a choice that was available and costs reasonible. I would prefer to have a Grand Jeep Cherokee's 6 Cylinder 3.0 Liter CRD paired with a 6 speed automatic or manual transmission. By me Diesel costs 5% more then regular, but the Diesel motor would have 35% increase to my MPG and I could tow a house too. Oh well it's nice to dream:]
Plastic intakes(upper plenums) have been used by many starting as early as '96(GM).Plus it's cheaper,by alot,and easier to make then a alloy plenum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyShadow23 View Post
How much bigger is the pentastar engine vs the 3.7? If you had the money, would there be enough space for an engine swap?
The electronics to make it work would be big $$$$ since it uses VVT and uses no exhaust manifolds.
Unread 05-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

X2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.