Passenger Tow Hook Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Passenger Tow Hook Installation

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 08-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Passenger Tow Hook Installation

Good Day,

I was wondering if anyone had ever installed a "tow hook" on the passenger side of their Lib?

The "Stealership" parts department told me that Jeep only sells the passenger side aftermarket tow hook because the driver's side towhook is too difficult to install.

Well, I got news for him, it seems the driver side has more room under the spoiler then the passneger side. When I get underneath the Lib I fell like a monkey trying to jam the square through a circular hole.

Without ripping or cutting the bottom rectangle part of the front fender, has anyone been successful installing the tow hooks?

jeep-lib-tow-hook.jpg  
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Get the hooks from a KJ. The kit contains both.
Unread 08-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Both of them should be available. I have both of them on my 2011 front end as part of the skid plate pkg. But, I will be pulling them off to install the Blue Ox tow bar bracket.
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I already purchased the one hook for the passenger side. Jonrjen do you have the grille fins right behind your tow hooks? In the picture it's roght where my hand is?

Does anyone know how to remove the bottom grille fins? The passenger side of the grille is not directly in front of the radiator I was thinking about cutting it off and reglueing it or just leaving it off.

If the whole bumper has to come off, I will purchase the other tow hook beofre I do all that.

Thanks!
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #5
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Yes, mine has the lower panel you are speaking about. I just went out and took a look, and I don't see a way to remove the panel without removal of the front bumper cover. Not to say it can't be done, I just don't see how to do it.
I have to remove the entire bumper cover for my installation anyway, good luck.
Unless maybe you could get removed using a series of swivel joints attached to the socket and feeding an extension through a fin opening.
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the update. I was crawling all underneath the Lib trying to get the tow hook from behind the grille and pull through the front. And it was just not happening forlike over an hour. I am a patient man but when the patience run, I start counting then, things begin to break LOL!
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

FYI there is no need to remove the bumper to install the tow hook... at least for the passenger side. I just did this last night.
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

I put a brush guard on that mounts to where the tow hooks go. Just cut the solid plastic off. You don't need it. I'm pretty sure older models don't even have that plastic grill there, let alone solid chunks of plastic where the tow hooks go.

And you shouldn't have to remove the bumper at all.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
I put a brush guard on that mounts to where the tow hooks go. Just cut the solid plastic off. You don't need it. I'm pretty sure older models don't even have that plastic grill there, let alone solid chunks of plastic where the tow hooks go.

And you shouldn't have to remove the bumper at all.
You don't need to cut any plastic either. Just go from underneath the truck and you can access the holes that way
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb

You don't need to cut any plastic either. Just go from underneath the truck and you can access the holes that way
There is plastic panels that cover the opening where the hooks go on non oem equipped libs. There is three tabs that mount to the bumper that you need to cut to remove the plastic cover.
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin11 View Post
There is plastic panels that cover the opening where the hooks go on non oem equipped libs. There is three tabs that mount to the bumper that you need to cut to remove the plastic cover.
I just installed my tow hook last night and there was no cutting or removing of anything.
Unread 12-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
You have a '08, I have an '11. Like in the op's pic, there is that gray plastic grill. Near the edges, behind the hook in the picture, there is the sold pieces. You have to cut those out on the newer models. I don't believe 08s have that. Atleast every one of my friends' '08s dont.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
VegasDragger45
2010 KK Liberty 

Like Bmxer524 said you just have to cut the three tabs holding that square grill in. I had to do this on my 2010 to get the hooks installed. Once you cut it out you can fish the hook in through the front and bolt it down. If you look it is connected on the left and right side as well as the bottom. Just cut those tabs with a knife and your ready for the tow hook. No need to remove the bumper or the insert.
2010 KK, 2" Daystar lift, 245/75/16 BFG All-Terrains, interior LED's, front rear and cargo liner weather tech's, Pioneer AVH-p4400BT, GEX-P920XM, Kicker 6" in front 5 1/4" in rear, PB 2.75" in dash, Kicker 300.1 amp, Pioneer TS-SWX310, JK light bar with Hella 500 ff and 100w bulb, BOYO rear view camera, JBA exhaust, K&N drop in filter and more to come.
VegasDragger45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.