Parking Brake Help Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Parking Brake Help Please

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Paws4It

Parking Brake Help Please

I am trying to get a parking brake ( brake controller for pulling a trailer with ele brakes )installed on my 2012 Jeep Liberty and am getting the run around from the Jeep dealership I bought the girl from. They do not sell the brake so I'm suppose to go buy it and bring it to them to install, but they cannot tell me which one to buy, and the fellows at Advanced cant either. Any suggestions as to how to find out which one she takes?
Thanks!

Last edited by Paws4It; 12-14-2012 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: added information.
Paws4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
rmeyer332
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What park of the parking brake are you looking for? And have you tried jeep4x4center.com they Carry just about any part except transmission mount for 5 speed manuals. Also try rockauto.com I use those two please religiously for parts
rmeyer332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Here's a post with a link to the KK factory parts manual. You should be able to get a part number from there.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...?f=104&t=42849
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Paws4It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeyer332 View Post
What park of the parking brake are you looking for? And have you tried jeep4x4center.com they Carry just about any part except transmission mount for 5 speed manuals. Also try rockauto.com I use those two please religiously for parts
Hi rmeyer. I'm not looking for a parking brake part. Looking for brake controller for pulling an rv with ele brakes.
I dont know which one to order, is my problem.
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Paws4It

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
Here's a post with a link to the KK factory parts manual. You should be able to get a part number from there.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...?f=104&t=42849
Ok, off to see if this works for me. The Jeep place we got her from cant even find which brake controller, for pulling a trailer with ele brakes, we need. Now if they cant tell me ... hummmm
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Paws4It

Not sure what part to look up. I need to know which plug the towing package has to know which brake controller to buy.
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Any trailer brake controller should work as they get hard wired into the Liberty harness. Forget taking it to the Jeep dealership and take it to a well known RV service center would be my suggestion.. I was thinking that I had read a write up over on LostJeep about the installation.
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Paws4It

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Any trailer brake controller should work as they get hard wired into the Liberty harness. Forget taking it to the Jeep dealership and take it to a well known RV service center would be my suggestion.. I was thinking that I had read a write up over on LostJeep about the installation.
Oh, wow, that's a thought, to take it to an rv center. We thought the Jeep dealership would know more, but I am more than let down with them. Especially since I heard the serviceman talk about me, saying "I told her I dont know which one she needs!"... I thought well if you dont know, who would know! Meanwhile at the parts store, they cant tell me either. So I'm caught in the middle! Thanks for this info.
Unread 12-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
LoveMy2009KK
2009 KK Liberty 

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller, and I've been very happy with it. I bought it from etrailer.com for $125 and did the installation myself. If your Liberty came from the factory with the hitch receiver already installed, installing the controller isn't very difficult. You should have a loop of wire under the driver's side dashboard. That's the brake wire that runs to the wire harness on the rear of the vehicle. You also have to run wire through the firewall to the positive and negative posts of the battery. Thankfully, there is a rubber grommet that you can cut a hole in very easily - no drilling required. The hardest part of the installation is tapping into the brake switch wire under the dashboard because it's a tight space under there.
LoveMy2009KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #10
LoveMy2009KK
2009 KK Liberty 

One more thing - etrailer.com has a lot of helpful videos on how to do the installation yourself. They had a video of them installing a brake controller on a Dodge Nitro, which is nearly identical to the Liberty as far as trailer brake controllers go.
Unread 12-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
Paws4It

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMy2009KK View Post
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller, and I've been very happy with it. I bought it from etrailer.com for $125 and did the installation myself. If your Liberty came from the factory with the hitch receiver already installed, installing the controller isn't very difficult. You should have a loop of wire under the driver's side dashboard. That's the brake wire that runs to the wire harness on the rear of the vehicle. You also have to run wire through the firewall to the positive and negative posts of the battery. Thankfully, there is a rubber grommet that you can cut a hole in very easily - no drilling required. The hardest part of the installation is tapping into the brake switch wire under the dashboard because it's a tight space under there.

Thank you so much for this info! I'll see if this place can tell us which one. Both the dealer and Advanced said we need to know which plug we need, but neither could tell us which one. You explained it well, thank you!
Unread 12-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
LoveMy2009KK
2009 KK Liberty 

When I asked some questions of the people at etrailer.com, I was given some wrong information on a couple of my calls. Here's what I ordered for my 2009 Liberty:

Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller - part number 90885
Wiring kit - part number 5505

The 5505 wiring kit includes a 20 amp circuit breaker, which is adequate for trailers with either 2 or 4 electric brakes (i.e. 1 or 2 axles). If you have 6 or 8 electric brakes on your trailer (i.e. 3 or 4 axles), get the 5506 wiring kit with the 30 amp circuit breaker. The only difference between the two wiring kits is the size of the included circuit breaker. I used some of the ring connectors and butt connectors included in that package.

In addition, I had to go to my local auto parts shop and get a tap and some smaller butt connectors. I used the tap to attach the proper wire from the brake controller to the brake switch wire.

The Liberty doesn't have a custom fit wiring harness that connects the brake controller to the vehicle, even if you have the factory towing package. You have to connect the wires yourself. The only wiring that Jeep did for you if you have the factor tow package was running a wire from the 7-way connector on the rear of your vehicle to under the driver's dash. I found that they marked that loop of wire with a blue piece of tape, but I've read on other forums that different colors of tape have been used, or no tape at all.

Good luck!
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Paws4It

Thanks for the luck, I'll need it! I'd like to ask you what you tow too. We havent bought the TT yet, and are really wondering if it can do what the manual says it can, haul the weight I mean. I really appreciate all your help. Thanks again.
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
LoveMy2009KK
2009 KK Liberty 

I pull a single axle dump trailer. The trailer itself weighs 1300 lbs, and the trailer axle is rated to 5000 lbs. (You can have up to 3700 lbs load in the trailer.) I've had maximum loads a few times, and my Liberty does struggle, especially going uphill. For smaller loads, it does very well, and I hardly notice I'm pulling anything. Once I got my brake controller and trailer brakes adjusted properly, I also have no trouble stopping quickly.

I've never pulled a travel trailer, but based on my experience with a dump trailer, I wouldn't want to go on a long trip pulling something that weighed 5000 lbs. It wouldn't be fun. If you're planning to pull something lightweight like a pop-up, you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, be sure to check the owner's manual about the maximum square footage of the front of the trailer you want to pull. Even though your travel trailer might not weigh 5000 lbs, you will still struggle at highway speeds from wind resistance if the trailer is too big.
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
Paws4It

LoveMy2009KK, thanks for that info...again, very helpful! We are looking at the pointy nose TT's since their weight is about 3200 pounds.. I would hope it would pull that ok.. but because of the prices of those we are having to wait till probably after tax time! The choices in that scale are so limited, unless like you say a pop up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.