Parking Brake adjustment '08 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Parking Brake adjustment '08 Liberty

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 01-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
08liberty
2008 KK Liberty 

Parking Brake adjustment '08 Liberty

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the parking brake on my Liberty, It is a new leftover with only 200 miles on it and with the brake lever all the way up, the Jeep still rolls, which is a problem because I have the 6 spd manual. The simple solution would be to have a dealer do it, but if the adjustment is simple enough I would rather do it myself then drop it off with them. Mine has the disc brakes in the rear...Thanks!

08liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
BrendonR

http://gravediggerfreek.googlepages....yRecallH28.pdf

That'll show you how to do it. There was a Saftey Recall on these already - for any Liberty build before February 13, 2008 w/ manual tranny. Personally, as it's a safety issue - I'd have the dealer do it.

Current Mods: None

Currently accepting donations to remedy above.
BrendonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
CmdrK
2008 KK Liberty 

If you're within the date range, by all means have the recall done.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #145
LIBERTY LOVIN CLUB MEMBER #4
CmdrK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
ErikRP
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post
http://gravediggerfreek.googlepages....yRecallH28.pdf

That'll show you how to do it. There was a Saftey Recall on these already - for any Liberty build before February 13, 2008 w/ manual tranny. Personally, as it's a safety issue - I'd have the dealer do it.
Does this mean that the brake is fine on the automatics, just not the manuals? Or that it shouldn't be an issue for those with automatic transmissions so don't worry about it?
Unread 01-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
jeepernj
2008 KK Liberty 

I also have an 08 KK 6 spd manual. I had the same problem, the parking brake was almost useless. I just had the recall done at my dealer and it is 100% better. The brake is fully engaged after pulling it up about an inch or so. I would check with your dealer, it was definitely a safety issue...I could not park on a steep incline.
jeepernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
diggerfreek
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikRP View Post
Does this mean that the brake is fine on the automatics, just not the manuals? Or that it shouldn't be an issue for those with automatic transmissions so don't worry about it?
Since I posted this TSB, I have only heard of 1 or 2 autos with bad parking brakes... Now I could be wrong, but of you have a manual, get it done. If you have an auto with a POS parking brake, get the part number and see of the service writer you use will have the tech install that new part
diggerfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
COLORADO
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have an 08 Auto with a POS parking brake. Is there any way to adjust it without replacing the assembly
COLORADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

^^ Same here, mine sucks
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
diggerfreek
2008 KK Liberty 

Recall done and mine blows.......
diggerfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
sbougon
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLORADO View Post
I have an 08 Auto with a POS parking brake. Is there any way to adjust it without replacing the assembly
Had the same problem. Had to replace the entire lever assembly. There is no external adjustment.
sbougon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

A $12 fix that will always work(sorry couldn't resist).

Rubber Wheel Chocks for Trucks and Trailers
Unread 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
COLORADO
2007 JK Wrangler 

I pulled my rear wheels and the calipers. There is a rubber plug under the caliper which after removal allows adjustment of the shoes for the drum parking brakes. the adjustment procedure is the same as for any drum brake. Use a brake adjustment tool or a screwdriver to adjust the star. On mine there was no self adjusters so no worries there. Now did it work!, not very well. Before adjustment the E brake was useless, after adjustment the brake lever still comes up to the top but at least it now holds on a hill. It appears that the cables are a bit to long and so far I have not found a way to adjust the cable length. Good luck.
Unread 02-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
COLORADO
2007 JK Wrangler 

After I did the adjustment I sent an EMAIL to jeep explaining my problem. I got an EMAIL response today and
while I was reading it I got a call from my dealer telling me to bring the liberty in right away. The checked out the parking brake system and confirmed it was not working properly and the problem was not due to adjustments. They have ordered a new assembly and will replace it under warranty as soon as they get it in.
Chrysler did not have the part available but they found one at a dealer in Tenn. I live in Colorado. I was pleasantly surprised at their response and that of my dealership. Congrats to Jeep
Unread 03-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
COLORADO
2007 JK Wrangler 

Dealer replaced parking brake assembly under warranty. Works like a champ now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.