P245/75E16 and LT245/75R16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > P245/75E16 and LT245/75R16

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

P245/75E16 and LT245/75R16

Ok, this is probably a stupid question. What is the difference? I know the stocks are a P, but and AT or MT tire I look at seems to be and LT. Is this because it is a more aggressive tire tather than a cruising tire that comes stock?

Is there actually two different that I should be looking or and if so which one can I use?

Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

The P stands for Passenger car, and the LT stands for Light Truck. The difference is in the sidewall stiffness. The P rated tire will give you a nicer ride, but the LT tire will have thicker sidewalls and a higher maximum pressure for dealing with heavy loads. Within the LT tire line, E rated tires have the thickest sidewalls, and C is thinner and a more forgiving ride. Since our Libbys aren't that heavy (compared to a truck), some folks argue we don't need E-rated tires and say the ride is harsh. Others like to get E-rated tires because they say they resist sidewall punctures on the trail better. So like with most choices there are trade-offs. Also, another trade-off to be aware of is unless you get a P rated tire, you usually won't be able to get the road hazard warranty.
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward
The P stands for Passenger car, and the LT stands for Light Truck. The difference is in the sidewall stiffness. The P rated tire will give you a nicer ride, but the LT tire will have thicker sidewalls and a higher maximum pressure for dealing with heavy loads. Within the LT tire line, E rated tires have the thickest sidewalls, and C is thinner and a more forgiving ride. Since our Libbys aren't that heavy (compared to a truck), some folks argue we don't need E-rated tires and say the ride is harsh. Others like to get E-rated tires because they say they resist sidewall punctures on the trail better. So like with most choices there are trade-offs. Also, another trade-off to be aware of is unless you get a P rated tire, you usually won't be able to get the road hazard warranty.
Ok that clears alot up in an obvious manner. Lol. What road hazard warranty are you referring to?
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Sometimes you can pay a small fee like $15 a tire and they'll replace it if anything happens to it. I think it makes sense they only do that for passenger car tires that will most likely stay on the road.
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Ha ha true. So id be safe to assume if I go with an MT tire like the Toyo Open Country, it is gonna come in in an LT. Not a P. and that's normal and will go on our truck?
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Probably so about the LT for a tire like that. I just went out to look at my Cooper Discoverer A/T3's, but it was too dark to read the fine print on the side of the tire. I would bet they are LT's though. LT's are fine on our Libbys. Lots of folks run them. All the Goodyear Duratracs are LT's.
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Yea that's what I figured!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.