P 300 P303 P304 .. leaking down on coil pack? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > P 300 P303 P304 .. leaking down on coil pack?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
thadoc8113
2003 KK Liberty 

P 300 P303 P304 .. leaking down on coil pack?

Im no mechanic, but i am able to fix most things. Just not familar with engine wrk. Heres my dilema. My engine light came on says misfire in 3 and 4. I was leaking coolant from overflow but was sure i fixed it. Anyways could a leak above the engine cause it to misfire like that. I had mechanic rip it down and replace head gasket.. said he had heads checked but starting to think he lied. Any known problems with this? It is a Jeep liberty 3.7 4 x4 , which i was sure someone told me was the same a s a kj. Any help would be appreciated. Just dont have any more money to put into. ... I did lose water pump at that time drove for no more than 4 miles, let it cool. Replaced water pump. Drove it for about three months with no problems, coolant loss or anything. Then out of the blue...sorry this is a little backwards.

thadoc8113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i would say that because youve got missfires on both banks of the engine that your gonna find that your problem is not something like coolant dripping on your coil packs,

i would pull coils 3 and 4 and switch them with coils 5 and 6

if your codes changes to p0305 and p0306 then you know youve got 2 bad coils

if they dont change then try the same thing with the injectors

(the coils are the most common cause of a missfire code.... and usually as a resuly of an oil leak in the valve cover to the plug)

i hope you get er figured out and if youve got any questions pm ill try my best to help ya out
CherokeeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
thadoc8113
2003 KK Liberty 

ok will do tmrw.. will i have to unhook battery to get codes again or should it switch when i start er up?
Unread 04-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
thadoc8113
2003 KK Liberty 

also engine light was flashing for a bout a mile or so, got it home and shut it off, im thinking heads are warped since exhaust was billowing out smoke. Ill try wat u said first.
Unread 04-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you shouldnt have to worry about clearing codes... your just looking for new codes

also if you have a missfire your check engine light will flash to warn you that you could be damaging your cat

a missfire causes alot more unburnt fuel to enter the cat too much fuel burning in the cat will melt it
Unread 04-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
thadoc8113
2003 KK Liberty 

ya i took overflow tank off was leaking on coil packs on pass isde. Two odf the three werer wet from coolant getting down in there. I hope that is all it is. Also noticed one brether line i think its called was off and cut on the end. Gonna replace both and go from there.Is it possible that that could cause misfire.
Unread 04-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

if the coolant was on the coil it definately could have caused the missfire

pull your coils out clean them with brake clean so there nice and dry then put dielectric grease around all the connectors and the plug boot that should keep moisture out and your connections clean

AND FIX THAT COOLANT LEAK \\ hehe
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
thadoc8113
2003 KK Liberty 

ya i started doin that .. but probably a stuipid question. If some coolant got down into the cylinders .. do i have to get it out somehow, i was thinking a bulb syringue. Or can i just let it dry out Thanks for your time!
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
thadoc8113
2003 KK Liberty 

another thing misfires said all on passenger side checked driverside middle plug which i believe is the no 4, and this was dry. Is it possible it just through wrong code since 2 of three on pass side were getting coolant in them.
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ok about getting some coolant into your cylinder while the plug was out... just leave the plug out and turn the engine over thatll get rid of it.

iam not shure which bank is which on your engine but youll generally have one bank is odd numbers and one bank is even numbers (some companies dont identify them that way however)... usually your most forward bank of cylinders is bank 1 bank one is your odd numbered pistons (again some companies identify there cylinders differently)

hope this helps

haha if you cant figure it out try and sink the "maid of the mist" with it!
Unread 04-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
thadoc8113
2003 KK Liberty 

hey finally got the overflow tank installed ready to go, charged the battery up etc. got to hooking up oil fill line and noticed a creamy white substance in filler, and also in line going to back of intake. Like i said not familar with the technical terms. Is this normal or could it b just condensation as temp. here has dropped 20 degrees since i first took everything aprt. Do i need to drain the oil to make sure there isnt coolant in it. I did check the dipstick, and it looked great. Thanks again for your time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.