Opinions on 2010 Liberty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Opinions on 2010 Liberty?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
planetlarson
2008 JK Wrangler 

Opinions on 2010 Liberty?

So I've finally convinced my wife to give up the minivan. She doesn't realy like my 2008 Wrangler (too "rough"), but is open to a Liberty. While this may be a slightly biased audience, what say you?

I'm interested in opinions on pros & cons, options to get or stay away from, etc.

Thanks in advance!

planetlarson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
dobber_spe
1981 CJ5 

I have a 2010 Liberty as my company work vehicle. It was definately the best choice we had. I like it, I have the Limited package (sun-roof, leather, heated seats, and sat. radio). If you can afford it, get the upgraded package. It has ample pep and actually fits me at 6'4". Not to hate on the earlier model, but the new design is infinately better than the 1st gen. I used to bust my co-workers chops if they got stuck with the older model and here I am driving a 2010 Liberty by choice. No kids here, so its a no brainer for me...Liberty. Let me know if you ahve any other specific questions.
Unread 02-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
YellowDuck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Me too...

I'm in exactly the same boat, planetlarsen. I was pretty much set to get a wrangler 4-door. My wife said she was "fine" with it, which of course means she intends to complain about it every time we use for the next 10 years. Same reason as your spouse - to rough, not comfy enough - although it is infintely more comfortable than our current soft-top TJ, which is an atrocious highway car.

So, like you, looking at the KK. I really like the interior layout - good storage, and the reclining and fold FLAT rear seats...plus the fold flat front passeneger seat which would let one carry 2x4s in the thing. Wonderful. Also like the full time AWD option (Selec Trac?) and the great safety ratings.

Not crazy about the oh-so-90s motor, nor the fact that only a 4-speed auto is available. If they still offered the stick it would be a slam dunk for me.

Love the huge tow rating (5000 lbs), and apparently the ride is quite improved over the older model. Have yet to test drive.

I guess the one other thing holding me back is that it seems pretty likely that the 2011 will have the new pentastar engine, which supposedly will give more power and higher fuel efficiency. Who knows -they might even give it a 6-speed auto as well.

Just my thoughts.

Edit: Actually, maybe I need to take back that prediction. This site implies no major changes to Liberty until 2013.

http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html

Last edited by YellowDuck; 02-17-2010 at 08:26 AM..
YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Your wife will like it. Mine does. The driver sits more upright and a little higher, more like a mini-van, but it feels like a much tougher vehicle than a mini-van. Very nice, quiet ride. Can be bumpy on certain roads, but not bad in my opinion. The storage is great. The interior is well thought out. It's a good size - plenty of room without the bulk of some bigger suvs. Plus, I think it looks distinctive. In a world of spacey, aerodynamic looking vehicles it is hard to take your eyes off of it. Looks good off-road and in the city!

HERS: 2009 Liberty Sport Light Graystone Pearl
100% Stock
GearGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

I see you live in Minnesota like me. Definitely spend the few extra bucks and get the Select-trac 4 wheel drive. It is a full time type and can be used on all types of road conditions not just fully snow covered. I flip it on and sometimes forget about it for a week. It make your wife more confident about using it if she doesn't have to worry about breaking it.

Dave

PS the remote start and heated seats are nice comfy items
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetlarson View Post
So I've finally convinced my wife to give up the minivan. She doesn't realy like my 2008 Wrangler (too "rough"), but is open to a Liberty. While this may be a slightly biased audience, what say you?

I'm interested in opinions on pros & cons, options to get or stay away from, etc.

Thanks in advance!
You will get many opinions, here is mine.

I've owned CJs, Wranglers, a 09 Liberty and a 2000 Grand Cherokee. The 08-09-10 Liberties are pretty much identical.

These are all more trucks than cars, focusing more on off road capability than the highway. The Liberty is not going to have the quality of materials and on road manners as the Cherokee (or your minivan) but its better on the highway and much more civilized than a wrangler. If you are doing a lot of highway traveling or are used to creature comforts, you may be happier with the Cherokee, especially if the incentives are right. It is available with perhaps better motors and transmissions but at a price. These Jeeps are about the same size, Liberty being a bit taller, Grand Cherokee a bit longer.

If your spouse is anything like mine, she buys cars on the basis of color. Liberty has a blue the girls seem to love, one that is hard to keep looking clean by the way.

When I bought my 09, the rocky mountain package with select track was the optimum value for us. The spouse loved the touch screen radio and better seat materials and two toned seat color that came with that package. I loved the fog lights, which is a mandatory option in my mind. That package also had better wheels and tires, although the OEM tires are not that good. The roof rails and luggage cover was thrown in but are nice touches. She like sun roofs, which is part of the package. It was thousands less than a Limited. IMHO, if you want the creature comforts of a Liberty limited, go for the Cherokee. The base cherokee model is less money and probably a better "car".

You can go to the jeep.com site, build your own vehicle, and search the dealers inventory. May save you some time when you want to look at certain options.

The V6 is no performance machine, but is reliable, torquey and used in many Chrysler products. The 4 speed auto seems to be reliable enough.

So, when buying a car that the SPOUSE drives, I would consider the select track (automatic 4WD) and fog lights to be mandatory options. Other options are more preference. Upgraded seat materials, sunroof, roof rails, touch screen (MyGig), upgraded wheels and tires are nice and good additions for creature comfort.

Moving from the Cherokee to the Liberty, she misses the always on DC power outlet the most.

Oh, something to think about is that the Nitro is about the same car, but has more engine options.

Last edited by ColdCase; 02-20-2010 at 09:43 AM..
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Liberty is a good choice and much more spacious than the patriot.

My wife and kids like it - she even realizes that the jeep is not an escape or a sante fe - it's a real 4wd vehicle and it's curb weight and seating position will give confidence and safety.

The sky slider gave/gives us some issues, but ours is an '08 and they seem to have figured out the countermeasure for it (wind noise)

The premium stereo package is very adequate, and our Limited with the chrome looks top notch.

Fuel economy is typical for a 4200lb vehicle, but still in the low/mid 20's on the highway with cruise control around 70.

The interior feels very spacious with good head clearance, however this is enhanced by the sky sliders fabric roof.
Unread 02-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
AdventurerSport
2010 KK Liberty 

The Dodge Nitro offers the 4.0L V6 with 260 hp, while all Libertys use the 3.7L 210hp engine.

BUT...Nitro does NOT offer Selec-Trac Fulltime 4wd.

I have a 2010 Liberty, bought for my wife, and she loves it! Selec-Trac, leave it in "4wd Auto" and it just goes!

Definitely a nice, mid-sized SUV. Lots of room inside for stuff, not so big that you can't get thru a drive-thru, and can park it easily.

I would recommend it. We like ours.

JS
Unread 02-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on getting the Selec-Trac full-time 4x4. I went with the command trac figuring I could get my wife used to the idea of only using 4x4 on loose, slippery surfaces and we could save a few bucks on the new car. A few weeks ago I had to take her to the airport so I drove her KK and as we were cruising down the bone dry highway at 65 mph I noticed the steering was a little tighter than normal. I took a look at the dash and that tiny little yellow 4wd light was on. Holy smoke did I panic. Suffice to say I tried to be as nice as possible about reminding her that she needed to only use it when necessary, not all the time. Yeesh!

HERS: 2009 Liberty Sport Light Graystone Pearl
100% Stock
GearGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
coder
2010 KK Liberty 

Get one, I love mine, no complains except I can't get my wife out of it long enough to drive it.
coder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
jebus_jeep
2008 KK Liberty 

I have an '08 liberty and quite enjoy it. It's been a reliable & versatile SUV. I've taken it on many highway trips, and also had the skid-plates bouncing off rocks & I'm happy with both.
jebus_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
z06boy
2010 KK Liberty 

I recently traded my 99 Cherokee Sport 4x4 with 152k miles in for a 2010 Liberty Sport 4x4 and so far...so good. I'm the main driver with the wife driving it occasionally.

I went with the Command Trac...same/similar as my 99 and am fine with it.

I got the Charcoal Grey Pearl and like it a lot.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:50 AM   #13
tasar

we call these beasts KK Cherokee in Australia - seriously looking at a limited to replace our 2007 crd patriot

I have the option of getting the 2.8 l Crd with a 5 speed auto here in OZ

Any advise for propestive KK owner?
tasar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #14
kenjeep
2010 KJ Liberty 

The liberty would be a good choice for anyone looking for a capable cuv. If yor are considering a Liberty limited version, you might want to see if there are any '09 available. In 2010, the rear 110V aux outlet is gone, as well as the automatic wiper, and the back up assist indicator that was at the back of the headliner is gone (its now right below the tac). Other than that, its the same vehicle.
kenjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Get the the trail rated package and media entertainment package
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.