OME 2.5" install thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > OME 2.5" install thread

Bestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door Black Cargo Net (

Unread 07-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #31
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Teraflex are the ones to get. Get them off jeepinbyal.com Those are the ones 99 percent of lifted Libbys use.

Gageraid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #32
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
Teraflex are the ones to get. Get them off jeepinbyal.com Those are the ones 99 percent of lifted Libbys use.
correction......99.972%

Unread 08-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #33
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyvac View Post
Thanks.

What's the gripe with KYB items? Not good quality? For someone who off-roads once a year and tows a boat to unimproved ramps every weekend I'm sure they'll work fine?
I can shed a little light on what is talked about. Sooooo...

KYB isn't necessarily a bad brand.. From what I understood, they were one of the OEM suppliers to Chrysler for the LX cars (Charger, Magnum, 300). I couldn't pin it down since some other sources said they were also supplied with Sachs shocks as well. Anyway, I used KYB's gas shocks when I did the front suspension rebuild on my 300C. I also replaced the rears. I put on about 25 to 30k miles on that rebuild and traded it in with it still riding like a new car. Handled great as well. So, I can say that they did a good job. That said, I didn't even consider them when I looked to replace the shocks on my Liberty. Here is why.

It has been known that Bilstein makes a great truck shock. I wasn't sure I needed to go "that good" except for my experience working on my wife's Mercedes R350. That tank had air springs in the rear. They are a known major issue with those beasts. I converted hers to coil springs. That was at 75k miles. The constantly failing air bags toasted the shocks as well. Bilstein is the OEM provider for Mercedes, so I got a pair. Pricey but figured go with OEM quality. Like I said, that thing is a tank. It weighs over 4900lbs dry!!! I thought for sure the fronts would be going.... at 96k now, they are still fine. Unbelievable. So, given that car's history with me, I am now a firm fan of Bilstein.

Will the KYB's serve someone well... maybe.. I wouldn't say they are a bad brand, far from it. Just will what they make for a truck work as well as their car stuff? I wouldn't chance it, not when Bilsteins can be had for only a little more per unit.

Oh, and when I was doing up my Chrysler, the KYB's were about $50 a unit when the equivalent Bilstein for that car was $150, and the Sachs were $100. So I decided to stay away from the German stuff for that....
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #34
kew

Quote:
Originally Posted by josworth View Post
Bilsteins can be had for only a little more per unit.

Oh, and when I was doing up my Chrysler, the KYB's were about $50 a unit when the equivalent Bilstein for that car was $150

I didn't base my purchase solely on cost.

But to be fair:

KYB:
Front 64.35 *2= 128.70
Rear 43.11 *2= 86.22
Total 214.92

Bilstein:
Front 154*2= 308
Rear 88*2= 176
Total 484

Difference of $269 or a 125% premium for bilstein.
kew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.