OK any dippers (Plasti Dip) try this idea? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > OK any dippers (Plasti Dip) try this idea?

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 09-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

OK any dippers (Plasti Dip) try this idea?

I know there are a number of you who are strong users of the product Plasti Dip. There were also a large number at one time who liked the thought of adding the black out hood decal that was a factory feature on the Liberty Renegade.

Has anyone tried taping off the top section of their hood and trying to do a Plasti Dip black out decal as of yet?

Just thinking out loud via my finger tips.

Unread 09-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

I was thinking about trying the same thing. I was reading one thread (cannot remember if it was here or lost jeep) but some people were saying that it does not hold up well.

Would still like to hear other opinions if anyone else has tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Jumpthis dipped her hood pink

so far it's held up nicely and I intend on dipping mine red.
TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

Dipping is temporary solution to your merc'd desires... Or pink for TJ

But more later you put on the longer it will last. When I had my stock wheels they lasted thru out winter surprisingly. I used 3 cans for 4 wheels. Nice and thick like.

Another option is to dip then paint. Colors don't come out as vivid but it's has the properties as dippin but gives you more colors, I'd suggest to over tape the area to avoid over spray.
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyRS View Post
Dipping is temporary solution to your merc'd desires... Or pink for TJ

But more later you put on the longer it will last. When I had my stock wheels they lasted thru out winter surprisingly. I used 3 cans for 4 wheels. Nice and thick like.

Another option is to dip then paint. Colors don't come out as vivid but it's has the properties as dippin but gives you more colors, I'd suggest to over tape the area to avoid over spray.
I kind of look at plasti dip as a vinyl sticker that can be applied via spray can.

the more layers you have the better the result.

as for colors. they sell custom gallons that you spray through regular wagner sprayers to get any color your looking for.
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Hah - I misread the thread title. I haven't been on the KK subforum for a while. Myself, I'm a Copenhagen kinda guy........lol.......as far as plastidip I haven't used it on any of our Jeeps. I was never really confident it wouldn't peel off the first wash it went through.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #7
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Hah - I misread the thread title. I haven't been on the KK subforum for a while. Myself, I'm a Copenhagen kinda guy........lol.......as far as plastidip I haven't used it on any of our Jeeps. I was never really confident it wouldn't peel off the first wash it went through.
I've taken mine through touch and touchless car washes with no peeling

Though I will admit I was nervous taking it into the touch car wash
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
jumpthis
2012 KK Liberty 

I have had no issues washing my jeep it has not come off and holds up well. I recently plasti dipped my emblem on my hood flat back (i have a thread on here somewhere with pictures of my jeep pretty much plastidipped all of my emblems on my car and had my hood done) ... updated pic:
252534_3669921311553_1600471408_n.jpg  
jumpthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

Looks good! You guys did a great job on the hood. How much dip did it end up taking if you remember?
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
jumpthis
2012 KK Liberty 

thank you, i did it myself first but we didnt have the right spray gun so it came out textured so i took it to someone in my area to do it and he followed the lines i originally had and fixed it lol... i believe we used half a gallon... 3 coats probably could have used 1 more to make the pink a bit brighter as it had faded a little bit supposed to be a HOT pink lol
jumpthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
scheki
2008 KK Liberty 

I think the only issue with using in the plastic-dip for a hood sticker is the its stretchy and when you remove the tape outline it might peal off the hood area you want to keep. I used plastic-dip spray on my rims and tapped the outside of the rim, when i was removing the tape part of the plastic-dip was coming off the rim. I removed the tape and just wiped the outside and lug nuts off with a rag with each coat.
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheki
I think the only issue with using in the plastic-dip for a hood sticker is the its stretchy and when you remove the tape outline it might peal off the hood area you want to keep. I used plastic-dip spray on my rims and tapped the outside of the rim, when i was removing the tape part of the plastic-dip was coming off the rim. I removed the tape and just wiped the outside and lug nuts off with a rag with each coat.
I use a blade to cut it before peeling. Does the trick so you don't peel more than you ment to
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
scheki
2008 KK Liberty 

I was thinking that a blade would do the trick.
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
Millitcb
2008 KK Liberty 

have ya tried starting from the middle and ovoiding the tape tilk the end when you spray a heacmvy coat and take of the tape while the plasti is still fresh
Millitcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
Liberty09MN
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millitcb View Post
have ya tried starting from the middle and ovoiding the tape tilk the end when you spray a heacmvy coat and take of the tape while the plasti is still fresh
was googling KK plasti-dip projects and found this thread ha, I recently did some accents on my wheels and had the same problem with the peel off. Did some research and you ARE supposed to remove the tape when the plasti-dip is still wet. They said even when doing the multiple layers, the last layer liquifies the layers underneath, so you only need to tape once. Wish I would have known this previously! Going to redo my wheels when I dip my whole car.

Hope this might be useful to someone, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here
Liberty09MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.