oil leaks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > oil leaks

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCOR

Unread 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
barryfishing

oil leaks

I have a jeep liberty 2010 jeep renegade. v6 3.7. I have had a oil leak that looks like it comes off then oil filter trough that area. The dealer just refuses to investagate the cause and blows me out for over 2 years. I finally got fed up and went to a private garage. He spent 1/2 hour to try and trace the leak. He said it was not the filter or oil sender. It is higher like the head or block and thats why the dealer is pulling your leg and blowing you off. He did not charge me and gave me his card and said go back to the dealer and tell him I looked at it and there is a leak from high up. He said it would cost me 1 1/2 inspection time to find it and it is still covered under their contract so go back. He knows the service manager too. That is how dealers work specially when it comes to engine work in a v6 3.7. I also got the zone checking into it too why they keep blowing me off. I even got pictures of the leak but they always say they seen none. Now thanks to the private garage they are putting dye into it and will drive it around to see the leak. My question is does anyone else have or had a oil leak that drips down on the filter area and it is not a valve cover, filter or oil sender. Could it be a bad head or block which I hope is not. Dealers are not willing to go into detail search to find sources of a oil leak unless they can eyeball it. What BS. Did anyone else have oil leak problems that they seem never to fix because they are too lazy to take things apart and find it.....

barryfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Damn, that sucks.

2008 with over 59K miles on my engine and no leaks yet, thankfully. I hope for your sake it's not a block issue. Head gasket would be bad, but not horrible. Either way it's almost certainly covered under your warranty.

But don't delay or fool around. Your warranty is already two years old, likely your dealer is trying to run out the clock on it so he can sock you with thousands in repair bills. If necessary call your lawyer in on it, and go to another certified Jeep dealer if you can. Some dealers are owned by ripoff artists, some are owned by honest people. Sounds like yours might be the former. Don't be afraid to find another, they are all legally obligated to honor any Jeep Warranty.

Good luck!
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Smetna
2011 KK Liberty 

They should WANT to do the repair under warranty, because Chrysler will reimburse them for the work. I wouldn't waste too much time waiting for the dye to show the leak. If it doesn't show up in another month or two I'd call Chrysler.
Smetna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I think it is more of an issue of getting approval for doing a time indepth inspection without receiving prior approval from corporate claims. The dealership only wants to make sure it is paid for its mechanics time...be it from the customer of manufacture. Warranty claims are being looked at closely my all manufacture now days. The industry is going back to a bottom line focus over that of customer satisfaction and retention. Other wise we are entering back into the Bean Counter mentality.

This is not to be taken as a slam towards Jeep/Fiat, as it is becoming an industry wide new standard. Could be worse however, you could own a Saab or Suzuki vehicle. While Saab folded all together, Suzuki has choosen to pull out of the US market in vehicle sales which otta make warranty issues a real interesting matter.
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

I hope you get resolution...and I don't have the same issue.
_benjammin is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.