Oil Leak? - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Oil Leak?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #106
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

My rear seal went twice, the dealership said they took pictures of everything and sent it to Chrysler. There only explanation was that they noticed a lot of sand around it. I tild them I do serf fish and drive it on the beach hence its wy I bought a Jeep. Any Mark good luck and keep us posted.

Unread 12-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #107
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

I know there are different filters from my 2005 kj to my 2011 kk. I thought that was odd.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #108
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Mine is going in this week for rear main seal and front differential leaks. My buddy is svc mgr at the dealership so I asked him to go through everything to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #109
LibertyJ
2009 KK Liberty 

Oil Leak

Hi all....appreciate all this info. I own a 2009 Liberty with 70,000k (43,000m). Last oil change noticed an oil spot on my driveway. Took it back to dealer, faulty oil filter replaced. Now again I noticed another spot on the driveway. Looked underneath to see oil which appears to be dripping at the front of the oil pan next to the water pump? Anyways it sure seems to me that this is why Chrysler discontinued the Liberty line as this appears to be faulty engine design. Will look to move on to another vehicle. Thanks again......have a great day!
LibertyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #110
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Did you clean it up from the faulty filter? Maybe residue drips? Main seal leaks aren't common as far as I know.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #111
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper6413
Did you clean it up from the faulty filter? Maybe residue drips? Main seal leaks aren't common as far as I know.
x2. My friend who is service manager at a jeep dealership said same thing about main seal when I was having major dripping issue. Many times, oil filter is not tightened enough causing the drip. When I brought mine in they did the best they could to clean up what was done, but still had drips for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #112
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

I noticed a spot on the driveway the other day and got all worried, I could see it was dripping right in the middle, jammed my arm up in there and was able to just tighten the filter, it was 5k miles since last change(just swapped to syn) and had finally worked loose just enough, was able to tighten a quarter of a turn or so and never dripped again. Its pretty hard to get your arm up in there and get a good grip to tighten it well.
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #113
markjrenna
2011 KK Liberty 

Rear Main Seal - replaced twice
markjrenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #114
heiliges
2012 KK Liberty 

Yeah... took mine to the dealership twice for leaks after oil changes were done. The word from the service folks is that its a pain in the butt to get to and tightening it requires some effort. Now that I realize its a common issue I will just double check it every once in awhile and after every change.
heiliges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #115
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiliges View Post
Yeah... took mine to the dealership twice for leaks after oil changes were done. The word from the service folks is that its a pain in the butt to get to and tightening it requires some effort. Now that I realize its a common issue I will just double check it every once in awhile and after every change.
That's pretty sad service techs said tightening requires some effort. It's really not that hard. A filter should not be on so tight anyways.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #116
heiliges
2012 KK Liberty 

Agreed but the last guy said he used the filter tool to get it on good. I followed up the dept head and they say its a gasket problem with the ones that come with the filter kit from Jeep.
heiliges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #117
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiliges View Post
Agreed but the last guy said he used the filter tool to get it on good. I followed up the dept head and they say its a gasket problem with the ones that come with the filter kit from Jeep.
Lol a problem on Jeep's part with their own filter? I don't even recall which filter I use, but know it's nothing fancy. If ya do your own oil changes you can save a few bucks and get to know your Jeep a little better.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #118
OldManLiberty
2002 KJ Liberty 

Oil Filter Leak

I came upon this thread after two recent oil leak incidents with my 2002 Liberty Limited. I have owned the vehicle since it was new in 2001. It has 155k and runs great.

Last year I noticed it was requiring a quart of oil between oil changes. Nothing unusual, I thought, for a vehicle with over 140k at the time. Then I noticed a spot on my garage floor. I took it back to the independent shop who has been doing my work for years, and they told me the oil filter was loose. Of course they apologized and I thought that was the end of it. Just this weekend I found a HUGE puddle of oil under the car in the garage. I assumed it had blown a seal somewhere, but when I took it to the shop again they said the filter was quite loose. They apologized and replaced the filter and the 2 quarts of oil it was missing.

After reading this post, is it possible that this filter is in such an awkward location that some technicians can't tighten it enough? It just seems weird that this is happening all of a sudden.

It's been 30 years since I changed my own oil, however I remember a key part of putting on a new filter required you to "seal" the new filter by rubbing a thin film of oil on the filter gasket. Is this still standard practice?
OldManLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.