Oil Leak? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Oil Leak?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperCyber Sale on RUBICON EXPRESS - Short Arms, Long Arms, Tra

Unread 03-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #91
markjrenna
2011 KK Liberty 

My 2011 KK is at the dealer now. Identified Rear Main Seal oil leak. Bought it June 2011. Sad. Owned cars (mostly foreign) since 1983 and never an oil leak. Must be a Jeep issue. Seems way too common for Jeep. Live and learn.

markjrenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #92
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Good luck Mark. Stay on top of it. It's not fun when your brand new vehicle leaks oil.
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #93
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Just one ?,what kind of oil are you using?

If it's synthetic or semi-syn 5w-20 that is most likely your issue.The 3.7 was designed for 5w-30 oil and have seen 1st hand(I am a tech) that thses new thinner oils cause many leaks no matter what vehicle or engine unless the engine was truely designed for those thinner oils.Chrysler only started recommending 5w-20 on the 3.7/4.7's due to the increasing federal mpg standards and they needed to squeak every tenth mpg they could.

I also run into alot of diff seal leaks caused by synthetic gear oils,by just switching to dino gear oil it stops leaking by itself.Again another way they try and increase there average mpg's to meet federal specs but not so good in the long run for your vehicle.
I've been going to the dealer since day one. They've been putting in the manual recommended 5w-20. I'm not sure if it's synthetic, but the Jeep part number on my receipts is 68055890-AA. It's funny, every other car I have owned the manuals have recommended the optimal oil weight, but gave you different acceptable oil weights depending on your climate. In my KK's manual, it gives no mention of any other oil. It says to only use 5w-20. My 2008 was always changed with 5w-20 for 3 years and I never had an issue. I believe you though, the thinner oil may be part of the problem.
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #94
LibertyJ
2009 KK Liberty 

This is becoming a more common problem than any of us Liberty owners would like to hear. Although I have not experienced any leaking yet, I still am burning / losing oil when I am checking the dip stick. Still within the safe area of the stick. Dealer says this is normal.
LibertyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #95
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyJ View Post
This is becoming a more common problem than any of us Liberty owners would like to hear. Although I have not experienced any leaking yet, I still am burning / losing oil when I am checking the dip stick. Still within the safe area of the stick. Dealer says this is normal.
Switch to dino or a blend in the 5w-30 weight and see if it continues.
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #96
markjrenna
2011 KK Liberty 

3 days and I have it back. They said there was a tear in the rubber seal. RMS. So hopefully this one is in correctly and I can move on.
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #97
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Resurfacing this post; Now I've got an Oil leak :(

The Jeep flu must be going around. The beginning of this week, I noticed a small wet spot on the garage floor. Thought it was from the exhaust, I touched it and it is oil. Drove up on the ramps took a look underneath and long behold right where the engine joins the transmission, is wet and oil is dripping down on the floor.

I tried using a flashlight to take a look but of course my batteries died lol. I think it may be a rear seal.

Looks like another trip to the dealership.
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #98
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Ugh Ponch that sucks. Hopefully your dealer is a bit more competent than mine. Like I said before, I was definitely leaking from the headgasket and the rear main seal. If they change your RMS, make sure they clean EVERYTHING, even inside the bell housing. Good Luck!
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #99
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks Bro^

Taking it in on Tuesday, next week. It's funny some days it leaks pretty bad and other days it doesn't leak at all. I told my old man either I struck oil in my garage or the Jeep is leaking oil lol. I know for a fact it wasn't the oil filter it just started happening like a week ago After they diagnose and dependant on what they say, I will ask about the head gasket and rear main seal.
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #100
barryfishing

engine leaks

I have a oil leak that drips off the skid plate and it clearly can be seen. I also went to 2 other repair shops and they also see the leak but they both told me I am covered as mine is a 2010 liberty renegade. I been there manhy time and there is oil in the skid plate but the dealer always says they cannot see any leak. I took pictures and called the zone and they still just blow me off. It is not a nad leak yet but i have no choice but to wait as I am not going to spend money on a cover item. I think jeeop is the worst one I ever owned and wouldenever buy another as the dealers never fix it and lie about not able to reproduce the problem. I just got off the phone with the zone again so I will see tomorrow if they see the leak everyone else does......

I've been lurking around the forums for a while and never really had something to post till now. I had a 2008 Liberty Sport for 3 years. My wife and I loved it so much we decided to buy a new 2011 Sport. The truck has been great for the first 9000 miles of ownership, and now, I have a few issues.

I first noticed random oil spots on my driveway sometime last week. I looked under the Jeep and noticed that my driver side rear shock was leaking hydraulic fluid all over the driveway. Needless to say, I was pretty relieved it was just the shock, I mean I want to lift this thing eventually so I didn't really care. As I was walking away from the car, I noticed another oil spot that didn't really line up with the shock that was leaking. I drove the truck up on ramps and got underneath. The passenger side of my engine had oil all over the place!!

This is a pic of the passenger side spindle?

You can see where the oil had been splashing and dripping.

This is a pic of the headgasket?

You can see near that brass rivet there is an oil drip developing.

Here's a pic of a sensor on the bottom end of the engine. Does anybody know what this sensor is? You can see a drip on here also.

Last pic is on a bolt on the belly pan of the transfer case?

The car was at the dealer for it's 6000 mile oil change, so I don't think it's any residue from spilling oil when filling it up. I checked the oil level and it was fine.

Anyway, I showed the dealer what I had found at my 9000 mile oil change, last week. One of the service guys told me it was their fault. They must have not tightened up the oil filter well enough on the last oil change and that's where the oil was coming from. Huh?? The oil filter is on the other side of the engine isn't it? And it faces the front! Confused, I left the dealer, with an appointment to replace my rear shock today. When I dropped off the car this morning, I told the service manager that I still had an oil leak and even went out to the shop floor and showed him while the car was on the lift. He agreed that there was oil in places where there should not be. I was happy, I figured they would come back to me today with some type of diagnosis. Didn't happen. The dealer called me back a few hours ago to let me know that my car was ready with the new shocks, but they would like me to bring it in another day to diagnose the oil leak. The service manager said they put dye in the engine and would like me to drive it for 2 weeks. I kind of felt like he was blowing me off.

Has anyone else had small or large oil leaks with their Liberty? You guys think a valve cover gasket or pcv valve could go so early?

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post, just bummed about my leaking Liberty.[/QUOTE]
barryfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #101
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

I swear I've seen this post before. Guy had his Libby serviced regularly at a dealer. Then bam! Identical pics. Rear main seal leak due to overfilled oil in engine (an entire quart!). Evidently, these wizards "knew the engine so well, they filled it to what they thought was correct!" Months and months of back and forth tearing apart his new engine I think he finally got it fixed. I need to look up that thread....
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #102
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Uggg...
I never had an oil leak...til I got my first oil change from the dealer at 20xx miles. Noticed drips on my concrete driveway. Oil appeared to be coming from filter and filter was looser than hand tight. I turned the filter by hand nearly a half turn. Checked my oil and it was Over Full. I went back to the dealer at 26xx miles and told them what I had found. Dealer was apologetic, verified too much oil and changed filter and oil. I have driven another 3000 miles with an occasional drip and lost nearly a quart of oil. Just got an oil change at 6000 miles last week and asked dealer to check for leaks, and of course...dealer assures me there are no leaks.
I'll get underneath and get some pics this weekend.
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #103
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

This is very strange. I wonder if perhaps Chrysler changed some of the gasket types from the 2008 version of the 3.7 to the 2011 version of the 3.7? Perhaps they changed contract manufacturers or materials on the gasket and the new ones aren't as good? I've got a 2008 KK Sport myself and it's never had a leak. Almost 60K miles now and still oil free underneath.

I have been worried about the possibility of having an oil leak too, as I just recently had a new Concrete driveway put in and I park the KK outdoors (one car garage, the wife gets it.) oil shows up quickly on clean white concrete. But nothing. The only drips I've had are water condensation from the AC and windshield washer fluid drippings from running the sprayers before I leave in the morning to clear off the windshield.

Honestly I've been very happy with the quality of my Jeep. It has it's quirks, but overall its been a good machine. My first brand new car too, (I've bought used all my life until the KK) so I'm glad its been a generally good experience.
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #104
barryfishing

Same problem for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntClutch View Post
Just to give you guys a quick update. I went underneath the truck to see if I could find the fluorescent dye that the dealer said he put in my engine. I don't have a UV light, so I didn't have much luck, however, the drip on the head gasket was still there. I cleaned it off and started the car while it was on ramps, and if I waited long enough, the drip would form on that same brass rivet. Well, discouraged I didn't see any type of dye, I was getting out from under the jeep and noticed another drip on the other side of the engine! This one was near the oil filter. I reached my hand on the filter and was able to turn it tighter almost a full turn! What is goin on? Could the dealer have not tightened my filter again after they told me it was loose to begin with? Is the mount for the oil filter somehow defective and causing the filter to loosen up? I have always tightened my oil filters by hand, untill I couldn't turn them anymore, obviously being careful not to over tighten (I'm not that strong). I've been to this dealer for almost 4 years and had them do my oil changes. I'm getting a little concerned though. My blacktop driveway is a disaster. I have oil spots and pitts all over the place.
I have a liberty 2010 and have had oil leaks at the filter area for 1 1/2 years. Each time I go they tell me the oil filter is loose. they put dye and it shows the leak is oil filter loose. I even went to a private garage and they said the same. What the hell is going on. Noone can give me a answer. After they tighten it it is good for 7 days then i start to see leaks again andn it is from the filter areas. It is not the oil sender above. It is the filter gets loose. Something must be wrong or it would not become loose. It is a ***** to even see the oil filter in the first place as it is buried in the middle lower engine area.....
barryfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #105
markjrenna
2011 KK Liberty 

Had to take mine back again for the Rear Main Seal again. Not good!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.