Oil Leak? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Oil Leak?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #76
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Your Warranty book will have the NY Lemon law info, and hate to say it but maybe look into a lawyer. Make sure you have all of your records. In Addtion, it may be good to a record on any time you had to take off.

Good luck!

Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #77
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

That sucks. Did you ask him how he plans to fix it now? Call corporate (just keep taking it back to the same dealer) office with this info? I dont think the lemon laws will cover. I dont know. I think it had to be a defect that could cause serious injury (brakes, wheel failure, etc). Worth looking into though. Interesting to see if Jeep will solve this right.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #78
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

It's going back in Monday morning. They're giving me a rental car because they want to keep it for a few days. They have not told me what they are going to do yet. I can hear it in their voices, they're getting sick of me. I have a friend who was able to get his pick up truck lemon lawed because of a water leak inside. It took him over a year. I didn't really want to go through that. I just want my KK fixed.
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #79
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Well, I just picked up the KK from the dealer. Would you believe it is now not leaking? The dealer put approximatley 80 miles on the Jeep and everything is still dry. Maybe I was still seeing some residual oil left over? or possibly the seals heat cycled a few times and now everything is good? I hope this is the last of it. I'm going to drive it for a while and see if it leaks again. I hope they didn't pour Stop Leak in it, or Seal Swell or something.
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #80
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Well, did you ask them what they did this time? I dont buy that the seals and gasket just seated. Funny as it sounds, these guys were under some pressure to stop the leak! "Stop leak" is not as absurd as you joke! How many miles/time do you have left on your warranty?
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #81
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

They told me they did nothing. Only drove and observed. I'm at 14K miles so I have some time. The only thing I can think of is that there was still some oil left from when the rear main seal was replaced. I'll see what happens in a week or so.
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #82
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

When will it end. Since my last post, I have been back at the dealer three times. Each time I see the famous drip on the bell housing, and each time they tell me they can't find the leak. So this last time I went in and followed the technician to the service bay with the jeep. As soon as he lifted the jeep, i went underneath with him and pointed to the drip. "Please tell me where this is coming from" I had the service manager under the jeep with me and made him agree that it was leaking. Well it's been two days and my jeep is in pieces. I was there yesterday morning, my tranny on a stand, my exhaust hanging and a spaghetti of wires dropped down below my KK. They showed me the rear of the engine completely dry and every other component on the engine was also dry. They told me they pressurized the crank case with 3psi and it held for 5 hours till they took the air off. The one thing they did find was a thin film of oil all along the inside of the transmission housing, a result of my rear main seal leak. Their only explanation was that the residual oil left inside the housing was heating up and dripping from inside the housing. The drip did have dye in it, but no "happy trail" leading to it's origin, leading them to believe that the drip came from inside the bell housing. Everything was cleaned with engine cleaner. The inside of the housing is now spotless. They're finishing up putting it back together and I should be picking it up today. If it leaks again, I think I may call a lawyer.
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #83
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Sorry to hear the aggrevation you going through. I have a friend of the family who owns his own shop and family has been using him for years. Sometimes, I will take my vehicle to him to identify and issue then bring it to the dealer and see what they say.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #84
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Thanks Ponch, yeah I need to find a "jeep guy" near me that I can go to. Not sure if it would have helped me out with my situation, but would be nice for the future. Anybody know of a jeep specific mechanic on long island?
Unread 03-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #85
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Kinda fuming. Ever since I picked up my KK from the dealer, it was making a kind of "howling" sound from the engine bay. I opened the hood and found this:

I guess this is how they pressurized my crank case? Can anyone tell me where this vacuum line goes to? and what if any damage has been done to my engine from driving like this for about 30 miles? I mean, I'm assuming unmetered/unfiltered air was entering my intake tract. Thanks again everybody.
Unread 03-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #86
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

It plugs right there into the airbox. That's the line from your PCV. I don't think much damage was done... just 30 miles. Probably none as long as you weren't in any seriously dusty or sandy conditions.
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #87
markjrenna

So... was it the rear main seal?

Last edited by markjrenna; 03-14-2012 at 06:34 AM..
markjrenna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #88
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

This last leak seems to have been a result of left over residual oil inside the bell housing where the rear main seal sits. I was just outside and don't see anymore leaks (fingers crossed). So to sum it all up, I definitely had a leak coming from my passenger side head gasket and my rear main seal. The dealer replaced the front crank seal, both valve cover gaskets, and the oil fill gasket as a precaution? or guessing? Either way, I think it's fixed!!

Oh just a side story, a few weeks ago, my friends jokingly asked me if my loaner was leaking oil. So, being a good sport, I got underneath the loaner 2011 KK and sure enough!!! Oil all over the bell housing!! Hopefully this is just a coincidence, but if you have a 2011, just give it a look. Hopefully the nightmares will stop guys and I can post up pics of the KK on the beach this summer. Thanks for all your help and support.
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #89
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

This last leak seems to have been a result of left over residual oil inside the bell housing where the rear main seal sits. I was just outside and don't see anymore leaks (fingers crossed). So to sum it all up, I definitely had a leak coming from my passenger side head gasket and my rear main seal. The dealer replaced the front crank seal, both valve cover gaskets, and the oil fill gasket as a precaution? or guessing? Either way, I think it's fixed!!

Oh just a side story, a few weeks ago, my friends jokingly asked me if my loaner was leaking oil. So, being a good sport, I got underneath the loaner 2011 KK and sure enough!!! Oil all over the bell housing!! Hopefully this is just a coincidence, but if you have a 2011, just give it a look. Hopefully the nightmares will stop guys and I can post up pics of the KK on the beach this summer. Thanks for all your help and support.
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #90
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntClutch View Post

Just one ?,what kind of oil are you using?

If it's synthetic or semi-syn 5w-20 that is most likely your issue.The 3.7 was designed for 5w-30 oil and have seen 1st hand(I am a tech) that thses new thinner oils cause many leaks no matter what vehicle or engine unless the engine was truely designed for those thinner oils.Chrysler only started recommending 5w-20 on the 3.7/4.7's due to the increasing federal mpg standards and they needed to squeak every tenth mpg they could.

I also run into alot of diff seal leaks caused by synthetic gear oils,by just switching to dino gear oil it stops leaking by itself.Again another way they try and increase there average mpg's to meet federal specs but not so good in the long run for your vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.