Oil Leak? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Oil Leak?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 01-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #61
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Guess who's back!

So I decided to take the kids to see my parents in Port St. Lucie Florida and get away from this NY snow storm. Drove for 12 hours on Saturday and then 8 hours Sunday. It got pretty warm as soon as we crossed into Florida so I decided to turn on my AC, and guess what, It doesn't work! Nothing but semi cold air coming from the vents. When I got to my parents house I popped the hood and saw all my AC lines frosted up. Isn't this usually what happens if you're low on refridgerant? When my dealer replaced the headgasket I'm sure they had to disconnect the lines. I guess they never filled it back up? Now I'm in Florida for the week with two little kids sweating their Mickey Mouse ears off. Oh yeah, and I still get the drip of oil on the bell housing bolt. I can't take it any more guys. I guess I'll keep updating this thread till its fixed? Maybe we'll find out about some defect part or new revised part? I'll stop if you're all getting bored.

Should I go to a dealer in Florida to see if they'll fill me up with refridgerant?

Last edited by BurntClutch; 01-22-2012 at 10:54 PM..
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #62
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Situations like this are the reason why people get upset with manufacturers.

I feel for you Clutch.
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #63
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Now thats not a good sign. Different dealer and call to chrysler would be in order. On your jeep, I dunno if the a/c has to be sucked down or not. Alot of vehicles, I never have had to, just moved the compressor out of the way. If it was empty, you wouldnt of gotten frost, so it has some r134a in it. They may never have touched it and it is just coincidence that it is low.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #64
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Could the A/C issue be more of a Blend Door failure to work matter? Maybe the A/C is working, just not getting into the cabin of the KK.
Just a thought.
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #65
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Called my Jeep dealer in NY. They told me they should have charged the AC after the headgasket install but I should take my Jeep to a dealer here in Florida to get it checked out. Awesome experience at the Jeep dealer in Florida. This place must be new. The shop was huge and the waiting area was really nice. Service guy was really nice too. They pulled up my entire history and checked under the hood with me. I showed them which pipes were frosted up. Apparently the AC lines were never charged after the headgasket install. They charged it up and checked the system for leaks, all is good now. They also checked on my oil leak. The service guy said their is a small ledge behind the head that had a puddle of oil but the head was completely dry. They cleaned everything up, so its back to wait and see!! I'm gunna try and enjoy this weather now.
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #66
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Hmmmm...., wow clutch, yet again. Plainly the department that routinely overfilled the oil was in a hurry to just finish their work. Isn't there any QC check? I would never go back to that dealer. It's like the restraint spitting in your food at this point!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #67
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

I did see blue markings (like chalk or pencil) all over different spots in my engine bay. Oil cap, valve cover, dip stick, were all marked. The AC lines were marked also, but I guess they never followed through with procedure. This is probably the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm going to call corporate after my vacation, and it looks like I'll try a different dealer for all service related need. Oil I'm still debating whether I should just do myself. I liked the idea of having everything on record while the truck is under warranty.
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #68
mike79

Who is your dealer in NY?
mike79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #69
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Still dripping oil.
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #70
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

For your warranty sake, I would keep going to a Chrysler dealer, maybe not the one in NY. Make sure you keep all of the paperwork too. I went to a different dealer recently. The dealers have access to any warranty work done on your vehicle, but things like oil changes, tire rotations different dealers won't be able to access that. In addition, if you buy your own oil and filter keep those receipts as well.

Another post was on here about changing in your in cabin filter, you may want to check that out as well.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #71
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

So after I got home from vacation I called Jeep corporate. Once again, I complained about the loose oil filters, overfilling my engine, low coolant after headgasket install, and no A/C after headgasket install. I explained that replacing a headgasket, valve cover gasket, oil fill gasket and a crank seal on a new Jeep is not acceptable. And top it off, the Jeep still leaks oil! Cheri at corporate agreed with everything I said and asked me to bring it back to the same dealer and speak to the service manager. He has assured me that everything would get fixed and be done perfectly this time (I've heard that before). But either way, I have decided to have corporate tell me what they want me to do. Each time, I ask them "should I bring it to another dealer?" and each time they have said no.

Dropped the Jeep off this morning. Just got a call back.

drum roll..............

Replacing rear main seal and another valve cover gasket!

What do you guys think? Could this all happen from overfilling the engine? Could I have some kind of crank shaft balancing issue? I'm at a complete loss for words.
Unread 01-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #72
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

I absolutely believe this came from overfilling your oil. Did you pick it up yet? I don't think that they'll ever find the leak. Many places it could be. Have a sit down with the service manager on why they feel the need to replace those. Didn't they already do that? Did they mess up the first time? Why would it need that again? Are they going to fix your car right this time with coolant and AC? After this experience, why should you trust them to fix it this time? Sooooo many questions, so little time. In the end, I would always do what the dealer says to do. I would bug the crap out of them until somebody fixes your Jeep! Be persistent.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #73
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Quick update, picked up the jeep yesterday. Rear main seal replaced, as well as the right side valve cover. Just went outside, still leaking. Left corporate a message. The saga continues.
Unread 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #74
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Tell them you want a WK2 SRT8. End of story.
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #75
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
Tell them you want a WK2 SRT8. End of story.

I wish!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.