Oil Leak? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Oil Leak?

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #16
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Yup, that's overfilled. And that's about 3/4 of a quart. It can cause leaks and should be drained into the hash marks right away! It can cause big issues!

Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #17
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

And oh yes, it will definitely cause leaks!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #18
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Guys, you need to remember, dipsticks do not read linear. It may take two quarts from the tip to the add mark, the same distance again to show 1 quart across the safe zone, and the slightest bit over, it will shoot up the stick. Its entirely possible they put in the exact capacity of that engine, and your stick does not read accurately. It happens, and happens alot.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #19
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Could it be reading this high from the dye they put in? How much dye do they typically pour in to check for leaks? I'm back to feeling worried about this. What's worst case scenario if it's 3/4 of a quart over? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to bring in the truck as soon as possible. I know they said to drive it for 2 weeks, but now I'm even more concerned. I just looked underneath and it's still dripping. The drip on the head gasket is still there and the drip on the bell housing. Thanks everyone for your input into this so far.
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Dye normally comes in some vials, or small bottles. Its only a couple of fluid ounces. At most, your oil is maybe half a quart high, but I would suspect less. If in doubt to your oil dipstick accuracy, drain the oil, and replace the filter with a mopar filter, and mopar only, then fill it to the specified capacity in the book. Start it, shut it off as norm, and recheck. If it reads over, dont be shocked. Ford had a tsb out for models made 1984-1988, for readings that were way off. I can take a given chrysler product, take 10 of them, do oil changes on them all, and put the exact same amout of oil in each, and you will get 10 different readings.

I would take it in so they can find the source of the leak.
Unread 12-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #21
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

That's exactly where mine was, when it was overfilled by a quart, a while back. I went back and complained and the tech claimed he had my engine confused for a 4.7L... which takes 6 quarts of oil. So that's what he dumped in my engine. Great.
Unread 12-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #22
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

The dealership that I bought my last car from over filled it and it ruined one of my cats which caused a CEL
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

It's amazing, how a dealership can mess up an oil change. They did it to me on my second, the oil filter wasn't sealed correctly. It was a samll leak and kind of annoying.

Anyways, I now supply them the oil and filter and they usually comp me a tire rotation. By doing this, I don't have to worry about them overfilling the oil or using the wrong the type lol.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #24
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

OK guys, just got back from dropping the car off at the dealer. In preparation, I grabbed all 3 of my service records (4 including my new shocks). On my receipts they have been clearly charging me for 6 quarts of oil!! I flipped out! It clearly says in the Liberty User guide that the truck takes 5 quarts of oil INCLUDING FILTER! I brought this to the attention of the service manager and he told me that the Liberty takes 5.5 quarts and that they can't charge me for 1/2 a quart. What is he talking about? I'm starting believe they really don't know anything about this truck. I may be going to a new dealer or doing oil changes myself soon. I showed them the picture of my dipstick being over the safe mark and their immediately apologized to me. I also mentioned my filter being loose again. Their response was "it shouldn't be too tight". Well should it be tight enough so it doesn't leak oil? Anyway, I asked them to tell me where this truck is leaking from. They're going to check it out today. Do you guys think an extra quart of oil for the last three oil changes could do any damage? and could it be the reason for my leak? The dealer doesn't think the oil level is related to the leak.
Unread 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #25
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

The dealer couldn't think that the oil level would be the root cause of the leak....That would be an acceptance of liability.
Unread 12-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #26
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Another quick update:

They replace the "oil fill gasket" and drained about 1/2 a quart of oil from my truck. They are keeping it overnight for more observation tomorrow. I was kind of suspecting the drip coming from this area but could never confirm it. I hope this is it. Also, I asked why they put 5.5 quarts instead of 5 quarts and was told "these guys know these engines. If they put in 1/2 a quart over, it's for your own good" You guys think I'm over reacting about this?
Unread 12-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #27
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

You're not overreacting. The 3.7L takes 5 quarts. Anything more increases oil pressure, which will eventually blow seals and gaskets!!!

I'd personally, after all this time, demand a new engine. By saying "these guys know these engines. If they put in 1/2 a quart over, it's for your own good", he's blowing you off, hoping you'll just go away.
Unread 12-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #28
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

wow...
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #29
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt View Post
You're not overreacting. The 3.7L takes 5 quarts. Anything more increases oil pressure, which will eventually blow seals and gaskets!!!

I'd personally, after all this time, demand a new engine. By saying "these guys know these engines. If they put in 1/2 a quart over, it's for your own good", he's blowing you off, hoping you'll just go away.
That wouldnt be exactly right. The oil pump creates oil pressure, and the oil being too high isnt going to change that, it has a relief valve to bleed off pressure. Now too full can lead to spikes in crankcase pressure though, as the crank turns, it can come in contact with the oil and send it flying, and will find a place to go to, whether it be a seal or gasket.
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #30
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

OK, this just went from bad to worse. Just got off the phone with the Jeep dealer. Like I said, they were observing the car today after changing the oil fill gasket. Well, the leak is still there. They want to replace the head gasket. Really? 9K miles and I'm replacing a head gasket?? I'm back to freaking out guys. I don't even know what to say. They said they'll have it done by Friday if I leave the car there. How does this even happen? I thought you couldn't leak oil through a head gasket. Wouldn't I have coolant mixing? or a lose in pressure? I guess I just don't know enough about this sort of stuff. The truck ran fine, it was just leaking. I guess I should just let them fix it? I'm sure they'll have a good tech on this and not some kid who does oil changes on Saturdays. Either way, I'm pissed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.