Oil Leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Oil Leak?

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Oil Leak?

Hi Everyone -

I've been lurking around the forums for a while and never really had something to post till now. I had a 2008 Liberty Sport for 3 years. My wife and I loved it so much we decided to buy a new 2011 Sport. The truck has been great for the first 9000 miles of ownership, and now, I have a few issues.

I first noticed random oil spots on my driveway sometime last week. I looked under the Jeep and noticed that my driver side rear shock was leaking hydraulic fluid all over the driveway. Needless to say, I was pretty relieved it was just the shock, I mean I want to lift this thing eventually so I didn't really care. As I was walking away from the car, I noticed another oil spot that didn't really line up with the shock that was leaking. I drove the truck up on ramps and got underneath. The passenger side of my engine had oil all over the place!!

This is a pic of the passenger side spindle?

You can see where the oil had been splashing and dripping.

This is a pic of the headgasket?

You can see near that brass rivet there is an oil drip developing.

Here's a pic of a sensor on the bottom end of the engine. Does anybody know what this sensor is? You can see a drip on here also.

Last pic is on a bolt on the belly pan of the transfer case?

The car was at the dealer for it's 6000 mile oil change, so I don't think it's any residue from spilling oil when filling it up. I checked the oil level and it was fine.

Anyway, I showed the dealer what I had found at my 9000 mile oil change, last week. One of the service guys told me it was their fault. They must have not tightened up the oil filter well enough on the last oil change and that's where the oil was coming from. Huh?? The oil filter is on the other side of the engine isn't it? And it faces the front! Confused, I left the dealer, with an appointment to replace my rear shock today. When I dropped off the car this morning, I told the service manager that I still had an oil leak and even went out to the shop floor and showed him while the car was on the lift. He agreed that there was oil in places where there should not be. I was happy, I figured they would come back to me today with some type of diagnosis. Didn't happen. The dealer called me back a few hours ago to let me know that my car was ready with the new shocks, but they would like me to bring it in another day to diagnose the oil leak. The service manager said they put dye in the engine and would like me to drive it for 2 weeks. I kind of felt like he was blowing me off.

Has anyone else had small or large oil leaks with their Liberty? You guys think a valve cover gasket or pcv valve could go so early?

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post, just bummed about my leaking Liberty.

BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

The one pic appears to show a leak around the crank sensor, or what appears to be the crank sensor. Then another angle, it looks more like it is coming out of the headgasket area and running or dripping down. From the pics you show, its only a guess, but it doesnt appear to be valve cover gaskets. Putting the dye in and having you return in a couple of weeks is standard procedure for something like this. Its a warranty issue obviously, and Chrysler doesnt want to throw money away on something that isnt the problem. If you start seeing the dye, its a yellowish color(think lightning bugs), then take it in sooner.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
The one pic appears to show a leak around the crank sensor, or what appears to be the crank sensor. Then another angle, it looks more like it is coming out of the headgasket area and running or dripping down. From the pics you show, its only a guess, but it doesnt appear to be valve cover gaskets. Putting the dye in and having you return in a couple of weeks is standard procedure for something like this. Its a warranty issue obviously, and Chrysler doesnt want to throw money away on something that isnt the problem. If you start seeing the dye, its a yellowish color(think lightning bugs), then take it in sooner.
That's interesting. Didn't know about the dye. But the fact that the dealership didn't fix the oil leak while they were replacing the shocks isn't really shocking. It's inconvenient, yes, but the dealerships make most their money from doing warranty work and getting "payed" by the manufacturer. So the more shop hours they can bill to the factory - the better for them.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

If we have a mild oil leak like that, and the customer wants it tracked down, we would likely do the same thing, except I would have them return in a few days, not two weeks. Use the stuff for power steering leaks, tranny leaks, even a/c leaks.
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the replies guys. Will I be able to see the dye without some kind of blacklight? I'm going to call the dealer next week and set up another appointment.
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

If there is enough sunlight, it can be visible to the naked eye, though amber colored eyeware will enhance it. Otherwise, a blacklight will work the best. Things like this are why I bought the UV scope attachment, so I can see all around the back of the head and look for tracer dye.
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

That very last pic of the x-fer case looks like a small ATF leak...
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu View Post
That very last pic of the x-fer case looks like a small ATF leak...
Looked more like the bellhousing of the transmission and motoroil dripping down to me.
Unread 12-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #9
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I had my first oil change around 2,500 miles. At around 6,000 miles I noticed a few drops of oil would appear on the floor in the garage, so I took it in to have the leak checked out and an oil and filter change. Turns out that the leak was from the seal at the filter from the first oil and filter change. The tech, didn't snug the filter up tight enough and it had started to loosen up at the rubber gasket. No harm, no foul.
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

The drip on the bellhousing is definitely motor oil. So it's running down from somewhere.

I would have accepted the oil filter theory when the dealer first said it to me, but I just don't see how an oil drip would develop on the head gasket, on the opposite side of the engine. People have told me that leaks travel while you drive, but they can't go up right??
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

No they won't drip upward, but they could be blown upward due to wind currents. However, I don't think this is your case.
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I think it was my second oil change and the dealership had done a lousy job putting on the oil filter and I had a slow leak on my garage floor. I was pretty angry at them I mean if you can't do an oil change correctly should you be in the business of fixing cars?

Fortunately, I have a close family friend who owns his own garage, so if something doesn't look right, I'll take it to him to diagonse and see what the dealer says.

Good luck and make sure you keep all of your paperwork - all of mine is recorded throught their internet.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

Just to give you guys a quick update. I went underneath the truck to see if I could find the fluorescent dye that the dealer said he put in my engine. I don't have a UV light, so I didn't have much luck, however, the drip on the head gasket was still there. I cleaned it off and started the car while it was on ramps, and if I waited long enough, the drip would form on that same brass rivet. Well, discouraged I didn't see any type of dye, I was getting out from under the jeep and noticed another drip on the other side of the engine! This one was near the oil filter. I reached my hand on the filter and was able to turn it tighter almost a full turn! What is goin on? Could the dealer have not tightened my filter again after they told me it was loose to begin with? Is the mount for the oil filter somehow defective and causing the filter to loosen up? I have always tightened my oil filters by hand, untill I couldn't turn them anymore, obviously being careful not to over tighten (I'm not that strong). I've been to this dealer for almost 4 years and had them do my oil changes. I'm getting a little concerned though. My blacktop driveway is a disaster. I have oil spots and pitts all over the place.
Unread 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
BurntClutch
2011 KK Liberty 

So it was nice and sunny today, decided to check the oil level for the first time since my oil change on Saturday. It's a little hard to tell in the pic, but it's at the second "C" in the word "Check". Would you guys consider this overfilled? Would overfilling cause a leak somewhere?
Unread 12-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

I can see the dye in the pic of the dipstick. It has a greenish color to the oil, thats more pronounced then no dye. That little bit over the full mark isnt anything big. You're talking a matter of a couple of ounces of oil. Whats more, dipsticks are not the end all be all of accuracy. Definately not enough to make a leak.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.