Oil filter change 2012 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Oil filter change 2012

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 10-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
had2hava5sp

correct oil filter for 2012 Liberty?

2012 Liberty Jet. 6500 miles. Decided, even after 45+ years changing my own oil, that I didn't want to wrestle with this one, plus I got a Jiffy Lube coupon in the mail. Oil change was quick and cheap, but when I got home I looked at the new filter and it looked too short. Checked the number -- AL10060, which is indeed shorter (3" long) than the one I concluded should have been the "right" one (AL10590), which is 5" long. Checked FRAM's site (their "correct" number is PH10590), which says their PH10060 is not correct for my Liberty. Back to Jiffy Lube to complain, but they maintain that AL10060 is the right one, and they don't even carry AL10590. Stopped by the Jeep dealer, who said the one they installed "should be OK" and wouldn't void my new car warranty. I'd appreciate other opinions....

had2hava5sp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thats why you never go to a Jiffy Lube or any of those in and out oil change places. They stock generic oil filters that will fit 101 different models instead of what it calls for. Sure it will work but its smaller so won't hold as much etc.
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

X2 with tommudd. I do it myself so I take the time and $ to do it right using high end fluid and filters. I use Mobile 1 filters and full synthetic oil. I change every 5,000 miles. Id rather do it myself using quality and paying attention to detail.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
jeepster1947
2012 KK Liberty 

I now mark my old filter with a black sharpie to make sure the filter is replaced. Also, be prepared for disposal fees, materials fees for stuff like shop rags and, of course, tax for the state. $19.95 for oil change...never.
jeepster1947 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I do it myself. For disposal there is a local NAPA autoparts that is more than happy to take the old oil and filter. I just call them up before I head down there so I don't look like THAT GUY.
If you've never changed the oil on your KK, you should try it. If I can do it, anyone can.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
mb91w126
2012 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsworkin View Post
My first Liberty oil change tonight. I just purchased a 11 with 96,000. Who is the ге€>г€%#ге that put the filter there. I have been working on motors for 40+ years and have not seen this on a SUV. I would like to meet them on my garage floor one day. I expect better from jeep. This is my 3rd and the worst engineered. The best post I read was the saws all on the drain. Who the %#^€г needs a drain trough. I know they are redesigning these, does anyone know how us normal people can send our thoughts to the engineering dept?
No need to get a hold of Chrysler eng. The new cherokee comes with the pentastar v6. It has the canister oil filter on top not unlike the 2.6L v6 mercedes, my son's 2013 Journey has one in it. Be prepared to head off to harbor freight to pick up a 24MM hex socket for the canister top.
mb91w126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
tomsworkin

Thanks for the tip Dave. Second oil change, long extension with a cap wrench much easier. Found the old filter really loose from the last change so now I used the wrench to tighten as well. That long extension has always been priceless!
tomsworkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #23
mb91w126
2012 KJ Liberty 

it becomes easier....

Bought a pair of ramps for a different project. On a whim I just drove the liberty up the ramps in stead of dragging the floor jack out of the shed.

To my surprise , I had no trouble reaching through the front to access the filter.
Who knew I just needed more air space. But, it's still less accessible than most.
Unread 06-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #24
had2hava5sp

KJ (pre 2008) or KK (including 2012 like my liberty?)

I'm glad your oil change was so easy with the ramps, but wonder if you have a KK like my 2012 or a KJ. I too bought some nice wide RhinoRamps and successfully completed my oil change -- but not without severely scraping my forearm reaching for the oil filter. I guess I should have broken my forearm as someone suggested previously. I used a cap wrench, 12" extension, and a flex adapter to both take off and put on the oil filter. It was VERY DIFFICULT, but I think I can do it again with a little less effort. One key finding of mine was that if you position your head right (just under the front bumper), you can actually see the oil filter and the space through which you need to put the cap wrench, etc.
had2hava5sp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #25
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

With skid plates it gets more difficult by about 10x. With my new Jasper engine I'm having the shop do oil changes for the next 3 years or 100,000 miles, so I have documentation for my warranty. I can't say I miss doing this job.
Unread 06-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #26
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Doing my first on my KK this Sunday, Wix filter and 5 qts. of Castrol Edge 5w30. I've done plenty of them on my 02 KJ without a problem, but I know my 11 KK is going to be harder to get at the filter. It's going up on the ramps for sure, I can do the 02 on the ground without taking the skid plate off but I checked it out under there and already can see it's going to be a challenge.
Unread 06-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #27
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I took a good look at my 2010 when I changed the oil a couple days ago. I tried to use a filter for an 08 but wouldn't fit, it's jus a little longer. The bottom of the filter hits the funnel thing on top of the differential and won't line up to the threads. That got me thinking, maybe if that piece of plastic wasn't there it might be a lot easier to change the filter and also open it up a little for a bigger filter. On a side note, the proper tram filter was almost ten bucks, the 08 one was under five. Has anyone tried taking that plastic thing off of the diff?
Unread 06-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #28
mb91w126
2012 KJ Liberty 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/.../#post15489354
Unread 06-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #29
Zambonie
2012 KK Liberty 

I've gotten a bit better at changing the oil. However, I've yet to master the "no-spill" method. I remove the skid plate (6 bolts), and after... I have to unbolt the plastic drain (can't fully remove it, but just loosening it allows me to move it out the way). Then from there, I use an extension on a cap wrench.
Zambonie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #30
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Ramps are definitely the way to go, piece of cake. It took me a total of 20 minutes start to finish and no battle wounds or scars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.