Oil filter change 2012 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Oil filter change 2012

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
mb91w126
2012 KJ Liberty 

Oil filter change 2012

Just purchased 2012 Liberty for my daughter. I crawled under to take a look at the oil filter position and ease of change as she is perfectly capable of performing this service herself. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't even get a grasp on the filter.

Any instruction on how to attack this?

Thanks!

mb91w126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
AtTheHelm

Oil filter wrench.

It gets easier to change after the first couple times.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought a used 2011 and registered it on the Jeep website. I now get Mopar service offers in the mail. They sent me an offer for 4 oil changes for $65. This is for 5 quarts of oil and a filter. That's $16.25 per oil change. I can't even buy the materials for that price. I've been changing my own oil for 20 years, but it looks like I'll take it to the dealership for that price. The only hassle is going to be scheduling the oil change and driving it to the dealership, compared to changing the oil at my own convenience. In other words less time wasted to get the oil changed if I do it my self compared to driving up there and waiting for the dealer to do it. I'd register with Jeep if you haven't or at least look into this deal that they are offering. You really can't beat the price. Plus if you have any problems under warranty you can say, hey you guys changed the oil.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
JeepCares

You may be able to find a dealer that doesn't require an appointment.
Some dealers have Express Lane Oil Change and some don't. Every MOPAR® Express Lane location has a dedicated service lane for oil changes and vehicle checks.
Other dealers will get you in for an oil change without an appointment and get you out fairly quickly.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
mb91w126
2012 KJ Liberty 

About 10 minutes with a sawzall fixed that problem. The plastic drip tray has been removed and access is now sufficient to apply an end cap "wrench".
mb91w126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
heiliges
2012 KK Liberty 

uhm pay for the dealership to maintain. I haven't seen an oil filter in years.
heiliges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

You have to weary of these almost too good to be true deals. I was away on business, drove my personal car and noticed a Nissan Dealer across the street. At the time, I had an 89' Pick Up. I asked the if I could drop it off for a simple oil change the next day. They said sure. After servicing the pick up, I drove back to my beach house which was about 60 miles away everything was ok. Next day a puddle of oil was under my truck I popped my hood and noticed the same oil filter was on it. I called them up an complained they actually sent a flatbed to pick up my truck. I checked the oil again and all they did was add in what they felt I lost. Anyway for those of you living in south Jersey stay away from Classic Nissan. I ended up redoing it myself. Be careful often if an offer is too good to be true it often is.
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Cobradwight
2012 KK Liberty 

The best way is to loosen the filter from the top. I use a pair of channel locks to break it free. Then take it out by hand, its at a angle so putting the new one on u gotta look where the housing is at. Other than that its easy but they could of put it in a better spot. It should take 5 quarts ,i use a mobil 1 filter and royal purple oil. I change my oil every 12k as rec by royal purple since its synthetic. I only had to add a bit less than half a quart to top it back off at 9500 miles on that oil. That seems the best since u wont be in there as much and I do a lot of driving.
Cobradwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Gotta go with Cobra here. it might be more expensive up front but I personally don't let anyone TOUCH my Jeep (if you are permitted, you should feel lucky). I do it myself, take my time, and do all services correctly. Nothing against garages or dealerships, but they are human and make mistakes. I only go 8000 miles between oil changes even with synthetic but that's just my OC in me.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
Afoos1
2010 KK Liberty 

I just changed my oil yesterday and the easiest way I found was to go ahead and break my forearm so I have another joint in order to reach it. LOL. Seriously though I used a channel lock type filter wrench to get it loose then found it easier to lay on my side. That black guard on the fan sure gave a few battle scars though.
Afoos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

On my 08 I go in from the front with a long extension with a end cap filter wrench. About a ten minute oil change start to finish. Dave
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_B
On my 08 I go in from the front with a long extension with a end cap filter wrench. About a ten minute oil change start to finish. Dave
That's what I do also.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #13
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

First thing you do is to install a lift kit on it
no jacking it up/ pulling up on ramps etc
just roll under and get to everything easy
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
First thing you do is to install a lift kit on it
no jacking it up/ pulling up on ramps etc
just roll under and get to everything easy
I'm very curious to see if it'll be easier when I change the oil next time with it being lifted.
Gageraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
tomsworkin

My first Liberty oil change tonight. I just purchased a 11 with 96,000. Who is the £„€>£€%#£„ that put the filter there. I have been working on motors for 40+ years and have not seen this on a SUV. I would like to meet them on my garage floor one day. I expect better from jeep. This is my 3rd and the worst engineered. The best post I read was the saws all on the drain. Who the %#^€£ needs a drain trough. I know they are redesigning these, does anyone know how us normal people can send our thoughts to the engineering dept?
tomsworkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.