Oil filter access - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Oil filter access

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
royhkeith
2010 KK Liberty 

Oil filter access

Yesterday I had my first oil/filter change. I took it to the dealer so as to watch how they accessed the filter. I have a 2010 Liberty,Trail Rated, Renegade.(skid plates included). With the Jeep on a lift and using a filter bottom grip attached to a 12in extention, the tech had difficulty getting the old filter off. This caused much of the old oil to spill down onto the front diff and into the front skid plate. The tech had to unbolt and remove the skid plate so as to clean up the oil mess that was dripping down, and would continue to do so for who knows how long. Six large bolts secure the skid plate to the undercarriage. It was not easy to remove even on the lift with help from a second tech. It appears that it would be best to remove the front skid plate prior to the oil filter change. Even then, it is difficult to access the filter which is sandwiched between the engine and front diff. I had planned to do my own routine maintenance, but for $18.00 which includes oil and filter, I can not see going through the almost impossible task while laying on my back.

I asked that the fluid levels be checked in the transfer case, transmission, and both differentials. The dealer stressed that they had checked everything when delivered from the factory and would not do that check after only 5,000mi. The tech checked access to the fill plugs and said another skid plate would need to be removed to reach the transfer case fill plug. My maintenance manual calls for front and rear axle fluid to be checked each 18,000mi and transfer case fluid check each 30,000mi. These fluids are noted as being good for the life of the vehicle,(under normal operational conditions). The first mention of the transmission is for fluid and filter to be changed at 120,000mi if vehicle is being used "under normal operational conditions", (as mine is). The cooland is listed as 60mo or 120,000mi.

Is anyone out there doing their own oil/filter changes on a Trailrated Liberty with all the skid plates installed? If so, how do you reach the filter?

Unread 01-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
SGTCornewell
2002 KJ Liberty 

Wife mods is not trail rated (02kj 3.7) but i change the filter from the top. i take off the serpentine belt and have plenty of access. just lay 2 old shirts under the filter to catch the oil. i refuse to pay someone else for work that i am capable of doing at a cheaper rate with the same or better quality.
SGTCornewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i just drive up the ramps and i unscrew the filter by hand from underneath. no need to remove anything to get to it.
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

DO NOT change the fluid at 120k miles. Do it every 30k miles if you want the transmission to last.
Unread 01-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
rustym38a1

1953 M-38 

Oil Filter Nightmare!

I've had 2 KJ Libertys that both had the off-road package and they were nothing close to the fiasco that Jeep now has with thier KK model with the skid plate group. It started with my wifes 08 Limited which I ordered with every option. After the first 3000 miles I decided to change the oil. You can barely see it let alone get your hands on it. Don't try to reach it through the lower radiator support and steering componants. Your arm won't fit. I took it off with the expanding 3 claw type filter wrench from Sears on an extention with my rachet wrench. Yes, your going to spill some oil, but most goes down the oil trough they designed in the skid plate. I was able to reach it by slipping my right arm over the passenger side of the front skid plate behind the steering componants over to the drivers side. I did not have it on a hoist, I just jacked it up about 12" and put the jack stands under it. I rolled under it with my creeper facing the rear. The second time I took it to my dealer. This was the first one they did with the skid group. The mechanic jokingly told me never to bring it back again. It took him 45 minutes to get the filter back on. I've been doing the changes myself for the last 27,000 miles. Once you find the secret access it is'nt too bad. It can be done!
97 Wrangler SE TJ- This is our Trail Jeep. Yukon 4.88's, Powertrax Locker, 32" BFG KM2 tires, XRC/8 winch
53 Willys M38a1- Restored w/50cal Browning M2HB & 53 M100 1/4 ton Trailer fully loaded with gear!
13 Grand Cherokee Laredo WK2- company car
rustym38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
royhkeith
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustym38a1 View Post
I've had 2 KJ Libertys that both had the off-road package and they were nothing close to the fiasco that Jeep now has with thier KK model with the skid plate group. It started with my wifes 08 Limited which I ordered with every option. After the first 3000 miles I decided to change the oil. You can barely see it let alone get your hands on it. Don't try to reach it through the lower radiator support and steering componants. Your arm won't fit. I took it off with the expanding 3 claw type filter wrench from Sears on an extention with my rachet wrench. Yes, your going to spill some oil, but most goes down the oil trough they designed in the skid plate. I was able to reach it by slipping my right arm over the passenger side of the front skid plate behind the steering componants over to the drivers side. I did not have it on a hoist, I just jacked it up about 12" and put the jack stands under it. I rolled under it with my creeper facing the rear. The second time I took it to my dealer. This was the first one they did with the skid group. The mechanic jokingly told me never to bring it back again. It took him 45 minutes to get the filter back on. I've been doing the changes myself for the last 27,000 miles. Once you find the secret access it is'nt too bad. It can be done!
For the past 10 days, reading the replies before yours, I thought I was blind and stupid. Thank you for confirming what I noted. I may get ramps for the front wheels and try it myself. But for the cost of the special filter wrench and ramps, going to the dealer each 6mo is very tempting.
Unread 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

my arm fits just fine and im not too small, but i dont have skid plates. i guess you have to give it a try yourself.
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Yeah um, dealer does my changes. I refuse for this very reason.

However when I took it there, the tech didn't seem to have much of an issue doing it. Maybe he just has experience because this dealership sells a LOT of Renegades and KKs with the offroad package.
Unread 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
royhkeith
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlon_jbt View Post
Yeah um, dealer does my changes. I refuse for this very reason.

However when I took it there, the tech didn't seem to have much of an issue doing it. Maybe he just has experience because this dealership sells a LOT of Renegades and KKs with the offroad package.
Tech in Daytona FL stated that they seldom see Trail Rated, not even 4-WD. Mine was first service dept seemed to have ever serviced with skid plates, and they are a very large Dodge/Jeep dealer. Maybe now they have learned enough to have fewer problems next time.
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by royhkeith View Post
Tech in Daytona FL stated that they seldom see Trail Rated, not even 4-WD. Mine was first service dept seemed to have ever serviced with skid plates, and they are a very large Dodge/Jeep dealer. Maybe now they have learned enough to have fewer problems next time.
Ahhhh, you're in Florida. Well that explains it.
Unread 02-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Cars76
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
i just drive up the ramps and i unscrew the filter by hand from underneath. no need to remove anything to get to it.
Just like VMF said. I drive it up on the ramps. Not that bad a little tight.
Unread 03-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
grizzlyman
2008 KK Liberty 

HAH! I just decided to change the oil on my 2008 liberty for the 1st time (bought it 3 months ago)...Holy #*#&!!! I've been changing my oil in other vehicles for years....but WTF was Jeep thinking? seriously? It took me 15 minutes to find the goddran thing. I finally gave up! I changed the oil but left the filter....from now on I guess I'm bringing it in...Mine is trail rated as well, so I guess the skid plates are what cause the problem...but jeez I tried for 45 minutes to remove the darn thing. My arms wouldnt fit past the fan shroud on either the top or bottm.....Idon't know how you wouyld even get a new filter past the belts and through the axles, let alone unscrew a tight one!!!
grizzlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

VMF, another idea is an oil filter relocation kit. Not certain if it will void a warranty, but I've seen them in other suvs. It may be something you can look into. I was thinking about doing down the road on my KK.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
VMF, another idea is an oil filter relocation kit. Not certain if it will void a warranty, but I've seen them in other suvs. It may be something you can look into. I was thinking about doing down the road on my KK.
This will lower oil pressure and will void the warranty on the engine.

Can't see what you all are complaining about,the KK's filters are super easy to get to and replace compared to some I've had to do.The one that takes the cake is new subaru's,you have to reach up between the cats to get the filter with just about 1" of clearance from 1200 degree cats cause you never get to change the oil on a "cold" engine at a shop.

Unread 04-15-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
royhkeith
2010 KK Liberty 

Can't see what you all are complaining about,the KK's filters are super easy to get to and replace compared to some I've had to do.The one that takes the cake is new subaru's,you have to reach up between the cats to get the filter with just about 1" of clearance from 1200 degree cats cause you never get to change the oil on a "cold" engine at a shop.

I would take a picture of my TRAIL RATED!! 2010KK WITH SKID PLATES but you would not see the filter, so it would show nothing. All those saying that reaching the filter is easy on a 2010 KK do not have skid plates, or you are missing the front skid plate. As "grizzlyman" and I have stated, just finding the filter is a trick; reaching it is near impossible. Daytona Dodge service dept took 1/2 hr and 2 techs to get mine changed, and they had a lift and all the tools. They claim they have lifetime fluids in the running gear, they need a lifetime oil filter.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.