Off Road Set Ups - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Off Road Set Ups

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 08-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
wacKKymd
2010 KK Liberty 

Off Road Set Ups

First of all I guess I should say hello to everyone and thank you in advance! I recently purchased a 2010 Liberty Sport all stock. First Jeep I have owned and its great so far.

When I have the money I plan on adding a lift (looking at 3" or so) and some larger tires but there are so many damn options out there I really can't even begin to decide what products to go with. So my hopes were that some you fine people might place pictures of your KK's that are lifted with a list of your upgrades and if you have time possibly a "ride" summary of how you like them.

I CANNOT WAIT to begin the adventure of owning a Jeep and I thank you to everyone in advance for your replies.

wacKKymd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
NAMoulton
2010 KK Liberty 

Here's my baby (somehow still havent found a worthy name for her yet):

driveway-pic.jpg

Got her at 29,126mi Aug 31, 2012 and now at 66,616mi. Since buying her I've modded quite a bit I think haha.

Bought then sold an Aries Grille Guard
AirAid Throttle Body Spacer
265/70 R16 General Grabber AT2 (they don't fit too good with stock suspension haha)
Daystar budget lift (to "fit" the tires haha...they still don't at max flex)
K&N Cold Air Intake
Mamba M13 16x8 rims
1/2" Clevis Spacer Lift (front tires don't rub anymore haha)
Custom Roof Rack (Unistrut adn Ubolts)
Custom Front Bumper (still a work on progress, got the center square tube cut for the guard, once that's welded in then I can get the side square tube cut in)

For the tires, amazing! Going to Duratracs because I like the way they look and the reviews are ridiculous. The Daystar lift...anyone will tell you to stay away from that, after 15,000mi on it my springs have sagged and the shocks have been shot after 5,000mi riding on it. Sure it's cheap but you always get what you pay for. I just bought the JBA 4" lift and am waiting to get it so I can install it.
Unread 08-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

This pic is from about a year ago.

Anyways, it's a 2011 Sport with the skyslider. Since 27 or 28k miles it sits on an OME (927 front springs, 731 rear springs)/Bilstein lift, with 1/4" top plate, 3/8" clevis, al's a-arms, and 2 extra rear isolators per side. Gets 3.5" of lift. I run 245/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs. They're a hair smaller than 31x10s. I have no rub, even at full flex. Ride is outstanding. At first it was stiff, but not jarring, and within 3-5k miles the springs broke in to give a great ride. Now the tires... There's a little hum, nothing bad I actually kinda like it. Outstanding in the snow. Good in sand. 15psi floats through the soft stuff, but they can dig a hole quick if you try. They have a very aggressive tread for an AT. Going up in size has hurt gas mileage, if I see 15mpg on the highway I'm doing great. I used to average about 17mpg. Power is lacking, but not too bad. Top speed on the Jeep now is ~100 on the speedo, so with the correction for tires that's about 104-105 mph. It used to be able to hit the limiter(112ish) before the lift and tires, but I never said any of that...

Now she sits the same, but I pulled the air dam off(not like it was doing anything anyway...) and installed rock sliders. I don't have an up to date pic, but promise I'll try to get one.

I also have a JBA adjust-a-strut lift sitting in my room waiting for me to find time to install it. I've been told that it rides even better than the OME lift. So I'll keep you posted when I try it out. Also, I plan on staying around 3.5" for alignment's sake. A lot of guys have problems getting camber in at 4".

I will also admit that I want to go up to 265/75-16s for tire size. That's closer to a 32x10.5. I'll most likely only do that if it doesn't rub. I'll also regear to 4.56s, and possibly add a locker or atleast a limited slip. If I don't go up in tire size, I'll regear to 4.10s. Again possibly adding a locker or limited slip.
Unread 08-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
NAMoulton
2010 KK Liberty 

I forgot about my plans to regear...after these tires need replacing I plan on running 265/75r16 Duratracs (but the Fun Country is starting to look good too) installing ARB locker rear with 4.56 and Detroit TruTrac front with 4.56s.
Unread 08-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Here's a good FAQ sheet for KK lifts that is posted on LostJeeps.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=88&t=79401

And here is my KK. JBA 4 inch lift kit, 245/75/16 Duratracs, Rock Lizard sliders, AtTheHelm front recovery system, and Rola roof basket on DIY crossbars. Various other mods, too. Modding the Jeep is a fun hobby, but so is using it for camping and off-road adventures.

Unread 08-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
wacKKymd
2010 KK Liberty 

All of you have amazing machines you're creating!! I have been looking at the JBA systems and they are beautiful but along with that comes the price tag. Anyone here have anything to say about Rockfather's systems? Their webpages makes them sound top of the line but when a system is talked up that much I feel like it is just a presentation. They certainly have a much more managable price tag. I've trashed the idea of a Daystar because I'm a "do it right the first time" kind of guy.

NAMoulton that bumper accents the KK great! Might have to work on picking one up for myself in the near future.

Once again thanks for the responses and I apologize in advance if I ask questions that may have ben answered somewhere else
Unread 08-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
NAMoulton
2010 KK Liberty 

I was going to go the Rocky Road route once upon a time too...but after reading posts on here it's a no go. The service is awful and for the rear they only do a spacer (just like Daystar). If you want to do it right the good time, do the JBA but OME and Ironman are very good alternatives too!

Thanks by the way! AtTheHelm makes the best aftermarket armor with RockLizard coming right up behind him haha.
Unread 08-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

As NAMoulton said, I would like to warn you (because you'll find 90% of folks on here will say it) that the Rockfather/Rocky Road lift is not a fan favorite. For a much more comfortable ride and dependable lifted suspension (and many will say better customer service), check out Jeepin' By Al or All J's for lift options. There are several good high quality full spring lift products that those guys carry:
1) OME (Old Man Emu) springs and shocks (it says 1.5 inches but you get 2.5 inches)
2) Ironman springs and shocks (2-2.5 inches)
3) JBA (Jeepin' By Al) Tommudd lift (an OME or Ironman setup with a few extra tricks to make it sit at 3.5 inches)
3) JBA (Jeepin' By Al) adjust-a-strut lift kit (more expensive but the cadillac of KJ/KK lift kits; 2.5 or 4 inches)
JBA also sells upper control arms (A arms) that make it easier to align your Jeep after lifting it. These are needed at 3+ inches and recommended at over 2+ inches of lift.
Check out the KK Lift FAQ for more details: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=79401
Jeepin By Al: http://jeepinbyal.com
All J's: http://www.boulderbars.com

Google LostJeeps.com or JeepForum and Liberty with RRO or Rockfather and you'll find many threads with people's recommendations and experiences. It's good to read lots of them and ask lots of questions. You'll find many people are very happy with Ironman, OME, and JBA, having replaced their RRO or Daystar spacer lifts after not too long. Ironman, OME, and JBA all improve the ride and handling over the stock suspension, both on road and off.

As for bumpers, look up AtTheHelm. He's a welder who has some awesome designs for both front and rear KK bumpers, as well as some other steel goodies, like roof racks and tow points. You can PM him on here or on LostJeeps.com to place an order.
AT THE HELM KK BUMPERS: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=77091
KK FRONT RECOVERY SYSTEM: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=77196
ATH SHACKLE MOUNTS: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=79384
ATH KK BASKET RACK: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=78939

Rock Lizard Fabrications makes a KK front and rear bumper also, but they are discontinuing support for the KK at the end of August so if you want to go that route, you had better act fast. Some other folks have fabricated their own steel bumpers with good results.
RL's Website: http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com

Again, welcome to the forum wacKKymd, and let us know how we can help.
Unread 08-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Read whats above, been on the forums for close to ten years working on KJs and KKs ( front suspension is the same except for the upper control arms. ) Whats been said about the OME and Ironman are both right on, stick with the above suggestions and you won't have any issues. Trust me many things have been tried over the past ten plus years and we've got some great products out there now from all of the trying this with that etc
Unread 08-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Completely agree with doing it right the first time. That's why I went with OME. I won't lie, at 3.5" I get some uca contact on big bumps, especially when accelerating. It's not bad, but when I got the chance to upgrade I jumped on it. lfhoward and I both got great deals on our JBA systems so keep your eyes open in the for sale sections, especially on LOST.
Unread 08-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
staubitzk
2011 KK Liberty 

Unread 08-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

JBA Adjust-a-strut 2.5" lift with UCAs
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
wacKKymd
2010 KK Liberty 

Started saving for a JBA lift =) its going to be a while d/t the price but when I am able to get it on I will post pics. Is it something I'm going to need a mechanic for or is the neighbors garage shop ok? Also in the meantime I am going to purchase new shocks because the ride right now is just wretched with the stock set. Any suggestions? I've heard you can get just a minor lift from getting larger/stiffer shocks but I'm rather unsure about this idea, seems the ride quality would suffer especially off-road. I am not the most mechanically inclined guy out there but owning a jeep is certainly driving my curiousity. Once again thanks for the comments and all the future help!
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #14
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacKKymd View Post
Started saving for a JBA lift =) its going to be a while d/t the price but when I am able to get it on I will post pics. Is it something I'm going to need a mechanic for or is the neighbors garage shop ok? Also in the meantime I am going to purchase new shocks because the ride right now is just wretched with the stock set. Any suggestions? I've heard you can get just a minor lift from getting larger/stiffer shocks but I'm rather unsure about this idea, seems the ride quality would suffer especially off-road. I am not the most mechanically inclined guy out there but owning a jeep is certainly driving my curiousity. Once again thanks for the comments and all the future help!
The reason for the bad ride is both shocks being worn out and also the springs being weak. Shocks do not give you lift , springs do, shocks control bounce. If you install new shocks with worn out springs it will just blow them out in short order
Unread 08-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
wacKKymd
2010 KK Liberty 

So it sounds like the "more simple" fix than a spendy JBA (still to come!!) would be to get new springs and shocks together. I have heard though the KK's come with a rather rough ride off the floor so I'm curious if that might just be the problem. Only 37,xxx miles on my KK so wouldn't think springs are bad yet..... But in any case if I place new springs and shocks is there any suggestions out there for a great combination of the two? My baby is currently full stock at this time just FYI if that impacts any suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.